Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How Merge 2 Audio Channels to Left or Right?
rkruz3 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2020 10:21 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
I want to take the left audio channel and merge with the right for a single mono audio channel. Is there a way to do that with Power Director Audio Editor?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
No. I can do it with Audacity (freeware.) I Believe that a user here showed how it can be with AudoDirector. You may find that thread in a search.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2023 22:28

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I want to take the left audio channel and merge with the right for a single mono audio channel. Is there a way to do that with Power Director Audio Editor?

It sounds like you simply only want to use PD, if that's the case, I think the answer is yes.

Not sure I understand what your desire really is as you can't have a single mono audio with video output as PD will always be at least 2 channels. What one can do in the produce tab (audio only) is produce as a windows audio mono format. Use this audio in PD muting the original audio and when you produce a stereo video this will create a mono track in both L and R channels.

Is that by chance what you want?

Jeff
rkruz3 [Avatar]
[Post New]

It sounds like you simply only want to use PD, if that's the case, I think the answer is yes.

Not sure I understand what your desire really is as you can't have a single mono audio with video output as PD will always be at least 2 channels. What one can do in the produce tab (audio only) is produce as a windows audio mono format. Use this audio in PD muting the original audio and when you produce a stereo video this will create a mono track in both L and R channels.

Is that by chance what you want?

Jeff

After thinking more about my requirement I'm changing it up a bit.

for a moving vehicle video, i have recorded a left and a right track with 2 seperate microphones, one for each track. Each mic in a different location on the car to capture engine and road sounds. In the final video I'd like to select the left or right audio, OR mix the 2 tracks with ability to adjust volume separately, and yes do it in PD for simplicity.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote After thinking more about my requirement I'm changing it up a bit.

for a moving vehicle video, i have recorded a left and a right track with 2 seperate microphones, one for each track. Each mic in a different location on the car to capture engine and road sounds. In the final video I'd like to select the left or right audio, OR mix the 2 tracks with ability to adjust volume separately, and yes do it in PD for simplicity.

That is rather different. From this description, it sounds like you want to combine a mono left channel mic with a mono right channel mic to create pseudo 2 channel stereo. With that, you want to pan left and right to create the effect of a moving car to the listening viewer. If that is the need, no, PD20 and/or the built in Audio Editor cannot achieve that, neither perform panning.

Jeff
rkruz3 [Avatar]
[Post New]

That is rather different. From this description, it sounds like you want to combine a mono left channel mic with a mono right channel mic to create pseudo 2 channel stereo. With that, you want to pan left and right to create the effect of a moving car to the listening viewer. If that is the need, no, PD20 and/or the built in Audio Editor cannot achieve that, neither perform panning.

Jeff

I little different then that. I want the resultant mixed audio from the 2 mics, to be provided as mono or the same mix in both the left and right channels. I have Audio Director. Will it do that? I cant seem to see how if it does.
rkruz3 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I little different then that. I want the resultant mixed audio from the 2 mics, to be provided as mono or the same mix in both the left and right channels. I have Audio Director. Will it do that? I cant seem to see how if it does.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I little different then that. I want the resultant mixed audio from the 2 mics, to be provided as mono or the same mix in both the left and right channels. I have Audio Director. Will it do that? I cant seem to see how if it does.

Well, this now sounds like you are back to my original comment on your post.

If your mic 1 capture is stereo, the conversion to mono via the audio produce as I suggested will combine L/R into mono audio and produce a single mono channel, or it will do nothing if mic 1 record is already mono. Same for mic 2.

Now if you put the produced mono audio file from mic 1 and the produced mono audio file from mic 2 in PD20 tracks 1 and 2 and adjust volume as desired for each track and produce a video, you will have stereo, but L/R channels will be the same. No phase shift or balance differences.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I little different then that. I want the resultant mixed audio from the 2 mics, to be provided as mono or the same mix in both the left and right channels. I have Audio Director. Will it do that? I cant seem to see how if it does.

Here is a thread that the OP may find useful in using PD20 with AudioDirector: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/11048.page . I tested it 2 ½ years ago and it worked from a new user back then who figured out an easy way to do it with AudioDirector. You have choices now on whatever method is the best and/or the simplest for one to use.