Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
NVIDIA GPU question
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2008 22:53 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
I have followed a couple of Youtube tutorials, and optodata's post here but can't seem to get PD 365 to use my NVIDIA GPU. I have multiple screen shots and steps taken, but before I go into all that - is it just that my older system/card can't handle it?

Just to note - when I have things set this way, the fast video rendering technology is greyed out, no option to use it. If I leave it at 'let Windows decide' I can tick the option, but it only offers the Intel Quick Sync option (Nothing else in dropdown), and if I try to export with that ticked, I get the attached error message.

ETA: I did optimize and restart after every settings change.
[Thumb - nope.jpg]
 Filename
nope.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
[Thumb - graphic.jpg]
 Filename
graphic.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
[Thumb - nvidia.jpg]
 Filename
nvidia.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
91 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2023 14:24

Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Added: my system specs
[Thumb - about.jpg]
 Filename
about.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
No setting will help, the GT 1030 GPU does not have any encoding capability.

Jeff
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote No setting will help, the GT 1030 GPU does not have any encoding capability.

Jeff

Ok that's what I wanted to know (even if I don't understand it, lol). It works great for Photoshop, so I hoped...

Do you know if there is any advantage/disadvantage to ticking the OpenCL box?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2023 14:43

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Ok that's what I wanted to know (even if I don't understand it, lol). It works great for Photoshop, so I hoped...

Do you know if there is any advantage/disadvantage to ticking the OpenCL box?

PD uses the unique NVENC core for encoding which is a special SIP core of the GPU, not the CUDA cores.

No big advantage, if any, the OpenCL can only improve applied effects which is usually a very small fraction of the timeline contents. Your iGPU would be used for this functionality anyhow.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2023 14:59

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
You can still use your iGPU, Quick Sync encoding option. whether it's beneficial or not relative to CPU encoding depends on which CPU/iGPU you have, which produce formats you are using, timeline content, so usually best to do your own speed trials with it selected and not selected to validate speed and quality for your specific needs.

The error you see when using iGPU may be real, iGPU does not support whatever produce format you are using, or might be aftermath from a crashed encode session using the iGPU. More information would be needed about CPU/iGPU model and produce settings when error occurs to gain some insight into potential issue.

Jeff
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can still use your iGPU, Quick Sync encoding option. whether it's beneficial or not relative to CPU encoding depends on which CPU/iGPU you have, which produce formats you are using, timeline content, so usually best to do your own speed trials with it selected and not selected to validate speed and quality for your specific needs.

The error you see when using iGPU may be real, iGPU does not support whatever produce format you are using, or might be aftermath from a crashed encode session using the iGPU. More information would be needed about CPU/iGPU model and produce settings when error occurs to gain some insight into potential issue.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I cleared everything and restarted both the PD session and the computer. I've attached a screen shot of the export settings, in short: Exporting to H.264 AVC. In the screen shot, attemption 1920 x 1080/30p, but I tried it at all resolutions. This format and MPEG-2 are the only two where the Fast video rendering tech check box is even an option (greyed out on all others), and if I check it, I get the error message. Unchecked, both formats process fine.
[Thumb - nope.jpg]
 Filename
nope.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
[Thumb - EXPORT.jpg]
 Filename
EXPORT.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
65 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I cleared everything and restarted both the PD session and the computer. I've attached a screen shot of the export settings, in short: Exporting to H.264 AVC. In the screen shot, attemption 1920 x 1080/30p, but I tried it at all resolutions. This format and MPEG-2 are the only two where the Fast video rendering tech check box is even an option (greyed out on all others), and if I check it, I get the error message. Unchecked, both formats process fine.

When unchecked, you are using the CPU to do the timeline encoding. When checked, you are using your iGPU with Intel Quick Sync to do the timeline encoding.

Not knowing the model of CPU/iGPU you have, however, it should be capable of basic H.264 1920x1080/30p 16Mbps profile you are using. You might:
1) Verify you have latest and proper drivers installed for your iGPU from computer vender
2) Since you say all H.264 resolutions affected, not likely but if you are happy with using regedit, verify all keys in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\CES_FunctionLogger\DATA have a value of zero, "0".
3) Supply dxdiag text file (https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97579.page#post_box_392510) so one can see which CPU/IGPU you have, what drivers you are using, other pertinent computer data.
4) Or, if no desire, leave hardware encoder unchecked and simply use CPU encoding since that's working.

Jeff
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]

When unchecked, you are using the CPU to do the timeline encoding. When checked, you are using your iGPU with Intel Quick Sync to do the timeline encoding.

Not knowing the model of CPU/iGPU you have, however, it should be capable of basic H.264 1920x1080/30p 16Mbps profile you are using. You might:
1) Verify you have latest and proper drivers installed for your iGPU from computer vender
2) Since you say all H.264 resolutions affected, not likely but if you are happy with using regedit, verify all keys in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\CES_FunctionLogger\DATA have a value of zero, "0".
3) Supply dxdiag text file (https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97579.page#post_box_392510) so one can see which CPU/IGPU you have, what drivers you are using, other pertinent computer data.
4) Or, if no desire, leave hardware encoder unchecked and simply use CPU encoding since that's working.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. This is on my machine at work so I will try those suggestions out on Monday. I know the drivers are up to date. I don't really do anything super complicated (yet!) so the render times are fine, I'm just always curious about these things. I appreciate your input!
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I checked the keys as mentioned above. The first three had a value of '1', the fourth had a '2' and the rest were '0'. I reset them all to '0', restarted - no change. All Windows updates are up to date, still getting that same error when I try to use the Intel Quick Sync. I attached the dxdiag file. There is no rush for this - I can still render - I would just like to solve the mystery at this point.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
63 time(s)
[Thumb - regedit.jpg]
 Filename
regedit.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I checked the keys as mentioned above. The first three had a value of '1', the fourth had a '2' and the rest were '0'. I reset them all to '0', restarted - no change. All Windows updates are up to date, still getting that same error when I try to use the Intel Quick Sync. I attached the dxdiag file. There is no rush for this - I can still render - I would just like to solve the mystery at this point.

I'd probably start by at least updating your HD Graphics 4600 iGPU driver to the latest from HP, https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-prodesk-600-g1-small-form-factor-pc/5387447

Even though you implied your driver is up to date, yours:
Driver Version: 20.19.15.5126
Driver Date/Size: 1/20/2020 8:00:00 PM, 39863784 bytes

HP's latest offer, 20.19.15.5171, Jun 20, 2021, ~1.5yrs newer than your installed version. I'd at least start with what HP has qualified and see if that might resolve the issue.

The regedit non zero entries would only affect that specific defined profile, since the pic now has all zero's, that's at least good but hard to say what produce profiles might have been affected.

Make sure you are using a basic H.264 profile as stated prior, that HD4600 cannot support H.265 encoding and should be trapped by PD making it unavailable.

Jeff
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'd probably start by at least updating your HD Graphics 4600 iGPU driver to the latest from HP, https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-prodesk-600-g1-small-form-factor-pc/5387447

Even though you implied your driver is up to date, yours:
Driver Version: 20.19.15.5126
Driver Date/Size: 1/20/2020 8:00:00 PM, 39863784 bytes

HP's latest offer, 20.19.15.5171, Jun 20, 2021, ~1.5yrs newer than your installed version. I'd at least start with what HP has qualified and see if that might resolve the issue.

The regedit non zero entries would only affect that specific defined profile, since the pic now has all zero's, that's at least good but hard to say what produce profiles might have been affected.

Make sure you are using a basic H.264 profile as stated prior, that HD4600 cannot support H.265 encoding and should be trapped by PD making it unavailable.

Jeff

Weird, my device manager said the driver was up to date. I downloaded and installed the update from HP, restarted, Optimized in Preferences - no joy. I do have the Enable Hardware Decoding box checked - that's correct, yes? The error message also mentions making sure Windows Media Player is up to date. My Windows updates are up to date (is there any other way to update WMP?). I do have some optional updates available under "Drivers" (see attached). Would any of these affect things?

I feel like this was working prior to my recent upgrade (from just PDR 365 to Director Suite 365 last weekend (it had me reinstall everything). Is it possible something weird happened? Should I maybe uninstall and try again?
[Thumb - EXPORT2.jpg]
 Filename
EXPORT2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
55 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - update.jpg]
 Filename
update.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nevermind this edit... ignore please

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 08. 2023 12:59

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Weird, my device manager said the driver was up to date. I downloaded and installed the update from HP, restarted, Optimized in Preferences - no joy. I do have the Enable Hardware Decoding box checked - that's correct, yes? The error message also mentions making sure Windows Media Player is up to date. My Windows updates are up to date (is there any other way to update WMP?). I do have some optional updates available under "Drivers" (see attached). Would any of these affect things?

I feel like this was working prior to my recent upgrade (from just PDR 365 to Director Suite 365 last weekend (it had me reinstall everything). Is it possible something weird happened? Should I maybe uninstall and try again?

The pref > Hardware Accleration > Enable Hardware Decoding is exactly that, use the iGPU for decoding. Based on timeline source content, the iGPU may or may not be able to decode. This setting and decoding is independent of the encoding occurring during produce. If unchecked, CPU will be used for decoding timeline content.

To control encoding, that setting is on the produce page, unfortunately, you only included a small pic of your produce settings so hard to offer advice. It also appears you changed to a 1280x720 profile vs the prior mentioned 1920x1080, although both should support Quick Sync with your HD4600. The "Fast video rendering technology:" area on produce page, the drop down menu should be set to Quick Sync to use the iGPU for encoding. If unchecked, CPU will be used for encoding timeline content.

It's possible that enable hardware decoding is causing the issue too, unselect, and then simply try Quick Sync encoding. Since you had a failure, you may have to verify regedit keys again.

A clean install of PD can fix many of its common issues, usually it has little effect on ability to use hardware encoding, that's typically more a hardware setup issue.

Did you verify your driver version was in fact updated with dxdiag?

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2023 13:23

Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]

The pref > Hardware Accleration > Enable Hardware Decoding is exactly that, use the iGPU for decoding. Based on timeline source content, the iGPU may or may not be able to decode. This setting and decoding is independent of the encoding occurring during produce. If unchecked, CPU will be used for decoding timeline content.

To control encoding, that setting is on the produce page, unfortunately, you only included a small pic of your produce settings so hard to offer advice. It also appears you changed to a 1280x720 profile vs the prior mentioned 1920x1080, although both should support Quick Sync with your HD4600. The "Fast video rendering technology:" area on produce page, the drop down menu should be set to Quick Sync to use the iGPU for encoding. If unchecked, CPU will be used for encoding timeline content.

It's possible that enable hardware decoding is causing the issue too, unselect, and then simply try Quick Sync encoding. Since you had a failure, you may have to verify regedit keys again.

A clean install of PD can fix many of its common issues, usually it has little effect on ability to use hardware encoding, that's typically more a hardware setup issue.

Did you verify your driver version was in fact updated with dxdiag?

Jeff

I tried the encoding option checked and unchecked, same result. The regedit keys are all '0'. Sorry about the change of profile, thought I'd try a smaller one to see if it made any difference (it didn't). I've attached a full screen shot with the 1920x1080 profile, and the error message, and the latest dxdiag after the driver update.

Just FYI, the only other profile that offers the Fast Video Rendering box is 'MPEG-2', and I get the same error with that.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
70 time(s)
[Thumb - nope.jpg]
 Filename
nope.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - export3.jpg]
 Filename
export3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
120 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I tried the encoding option checked and unchecked, same result. The regedit keys are all '0'. Sorry about the change of profile, thought I'd try a smaller one to see if it made any difference (it didn't). I've attached a full screen shot with the 1920x1080 profile, and the error message, and the latest dxdiag after the driver update.

Just FYI, the only other profile that offers the Fast Video Rendering box is 'MPEG-2', and I get the same error with that.

You say you tried with encoding option check and unchecked. By saying encoding, that is on the produce page and you get same failed result. If that is true, this would potentially point to the decode setting in pref > Hardware Acceleration being a issue.

Keep in mind, one has 4 permutations of these two settings and different hardware engaged each time for the 4 permutations on checked or unchecked so details and behavior are very relevant for understanding.

The HD4600 only supports MPEG-2 and H.264 Quick Sync encoding and only for certain resolutions.

Jeff
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]

You say you tried with encoding option check and unchecked. By saying encoding, that is on the produce page and you get same failed result. If that is true, this would potentially point to the decode setting in pref > Hardware Acceleration being a issue.

Keep in mind, one has 4 permutations of these two settings and different hardware engaged each time for the 4 permutations on checked or unchecked so details and behavior are very relevant for understanding.

The HD4600 only supports MPEG-2 and H.264 Quick Sync encoding and only for certain resolutions.

Jeff

Sorry, just a typo, I tried with the decoding both checked and unchecked.

For encoding I have tried all the options from 640x480/ 24p through 1920x1080/30p

I've also re-checked the regedit after each error message and it remains all zeros.
[Thumb - export4.jpg]
 Filename
export4.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - decoding.jpg]
 Filename
decoding.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
I guess I'm at a loss without seeing the entire platform, it appears you have might have a conflict with the iGPU Quick Sync libraries. Have you installed some form of Intel Media SDK? To my knowledge the Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. You've got a series of Quick Sync encoders associated with that package installed that may be causing some issue for PD.

You can always contact CL support.

Jeff
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I guess I'm at a loss without seeing the entire platform, it appears you have might have a conflict with the iGPU Quick Sync libraries. Have you installed some form of Intel Media SDK? To my knowledge the Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. You've got a series of Quick Sync encoders associated with that package installed that may be causing some issue for PD.

Jeff

I'm not even sure what Intel Media SDK is :/. I do appreciate your patience in trying to help me solve this. I will ask my techie friend here at work to check into this. If it ever does get resolved, I'll update. Thanks again!
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I guess I'm at a loss without seeing the entire platform, it appears you have might have a conflict with the iGPU Quick Sync libraries. Have you installed some form of Intel Media SDK? To my knowledge the Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. You've got a series of Quick Sync encoders associated with that package installed that may be causing some issue for PD.

Jeff

Just because I'm super stubborn, I uninstalled Director Suite completely and reinstalled, no difference. I could not find Intel Media SDK installed on the system (through the Windows add/remove, or REVO uninstaller, which goes deeper). The only thing I could find is in the regedit under Intel there is a Media SDK folder. Images attached. Is this what you were indicating?
[Thumb - intel1.jpg]
 Filename
intel1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
70 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - intel2.jpg]
 Filename
intel2.jpg