Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rotate Canvas missing from Effects in Powerdirector 365.
GeneH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2012 07:47 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I updated to the latest version and noticed it was missing from the available effects. It's one that I use very often, was this intentional?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps you clicked on HIDE the effect.
Go to the FX Library and right-click an empty space and choose UNHIDE.
Please let us know if that worked.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2023 19:44

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I hope Barry's suggestion helps. Nothing shows up if I click on All Content in the FX room and search for rotate. Searching for canvas only returns "Flip Canvas"

Even without that effect, you can easily rotate a clip from the PiP Designer. You can also hover the cursor over one of the corner control dots in the preview window until it shows an arc with 2 arrows, then click and drag the clip around in a circle. Using the PiP designer lets you specify the exact rotation in degrees, if that's easier.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2023 20:23

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Admittedly I am on PD20, but I figured what could go astray on such a "trivial" FX?
It's not like you PAID for a product like New Blue and then it's gone... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Even without that effect, you can easily rotate a clip from the PiP Designer. You can also hover the cursor over one of the corner control dots in the preview window until it shows an arc with 2 arrows, then click and drag the clip around in a circle. Using the PiP designer lets you specify the exact rotation in degrees, if that's easier.

That's not a replacement for a Fx, it's terrible. I've had hundreds of items I need to rotate, PIP on each one is not a viable solution. Fx on the Fx track easily remedies and applies to all the clips as needed.

I guess this was another one of the 365 push improvements the CL did that's not an improvement. They literally appear to have no clue of program usage and constantly make dumb very poor thought-out changes for the user. Will this be another case the PDM says was a user request, like some other very ill-conceived changes.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That's not a replacement for a Fx, it's terrible.

I never said it was a replacement nor did I say anything about what I though if CL has actually removed the effect (and possibly others).

I only mentioned that as a workaround for OP, and obviously there's no excuse for removing long-time content without warning or any easy way of recovery.

I have no idea what the people at CL are thinking these days, but they clearly aren't paying attention to how their ongoing changes will impact their many long-time users

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2023 20:59

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The Rotate Canvas fx allows a 90 degrees rotation of the sample clip without cropping.

Rotating the sample clip 90 degrees with the PiP Designer appears cropped. One must resize the clip smaller if desired. The clip attributes can then be copied and pasted to all other highlighted clips. Simple.
GeneH [Avatar]
[Post New]
I checked to see if the effect was hidden; it was not. It looks like it's been removed. The pip designer isn't a great replacement because there isn't an easy way to see if the effect has been applied.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote The pip designer isn't a great replacement because there isn't an easy way to see if the effect has been applied.

I'm not sure what you mean. Obviously this is extra work compared to the Rotate Canvas FX, but setting the Rotation and Scale in the PiP Designer shows you exactly what the change will look like. These settings are for a 16:9 aspect ratio:

""""

If you have mulitple clips that you want to rotate, use the approach tomasc mentioned and copy the attributes of the first clip you've rotated (right-click, Edit Clip Keyframe > Copy Keyframe Attributes), then select the other clips and paste the attributes to them all in one step.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 03. 2023 15:22

GeneH [Avatar]
[Post New]
You can’t tell from the timeline if PiP has been applied to any clip. Also, if PiP has been applied, it’s no longer intuitive to use the flip canvas effect, because that is based on the original clip orientation and not what the PiP is outputting. But if you’re using flip within PiP, there’s no way to track what flip settings have been applied; and as far as I know there’s no quick reset button in PiP. At this point it’s safer to use Crop/Zoom/Pan, even though it’s more laborious; it makes it quicker to see what has been applied to a clip.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All -

No consolation to PDR365 users, but the Rotate Canvas FX is still present in PDR21.0.2721.0

Guess the designers were trying to clean up the space to allow for the mountain of add-in FX in PDR365. undecided Maybe.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
[Post New]
GeneH, you may find this new post helpful.
GeneH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote GeneH, you may find this new post helpful.

Thanks, your idea of integrating from an older project may be a good workaround. I reached out to cyberlink support and they said the removal was intentional, but that may have been a generic answer from the support representative, no way to be sure.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I reached out to cyberlink support and they said the removal was intentional, but that may have been a generic answer from the support representative, no way to be sure.

I believe that in the participation of the Improvement program, Cyberlink found and stated in the past that very few users were found to use the NB, ProDad, and fx in their video editing. optodata found 25 in PD17 that were missing in PD365. Yet the users only reported maybe 6 total that were missing.in this forum. The fx is not missed by the majority it seems like. I used to use those speech bubbles a lot in PD9. They all disappeared in the later versions of PD as time moved on, replaced by more modern titles. It’s like out with the old and in with the new. Software is constantly updated to support new features while old ones are dropped as they become obsolete.

Never complained about the speech bubbles being removed in newer versions of PD. I downloaded the ones I need from the DZ. As time goes by DD 5.1 audio is no longer available in consumer video editors. It may be that Dolby no longer licence it. I still use it.

Users need to let Cyberlink know what they need by using those fx while participating in the improvement program.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I believe that in the participation of the Improvement program, Cyberlink found and stated in the past that very few users were found to use the NB, ProDad, and fx in their video editing. optodata found 25 in PD17 that were missing in PD365. Yet the users only reported maybe 6 total that were missing.in this forum. The fx is not missed by the majority it seems like. I used to use those speech bubbles a lot in PD9. They all disappeared in the later versions of PD as time moved on, replaced by more modern titles. It’s like out with the old and in with the new. Software is constantly updated to support new features while old ones are dropped as they become obsolete.

Never complained about the speech bubbles being removed in newer versions of PD. I downloaded the ones I need from the DZ. As time goes by DD 5.1 audio is no longer available in consumer video editors. It may be that Dolby no longer licence it. I still use it.

Users need to let Cyberlink know what they need by using those fx while participating in the improvement program.

Sorry, not a believer into this. If it's the case of lack of use, what percentage of the 2700+ sound effects provided by CL have you used, why not get rid of them, instead every month is a new set. I guarantee it's a very small fraction. How about the 2000+ sticker category? Oh, and wait, there's 40+ new fonts a month, and the usage, let me guess! This was as you say 6 or so in a week of push, that's pretty high.

Concerning, NB, ProDad, DD, DTS, more than likely just a cost and legacy issue, PD simply not staying current, so many good 3rd party features supplied to other platforms.

Really disappointing to hear that CL support said it was intentional, beyond belief. CL will do what CL wants too, no user input will change, every day, simply a day closer to death by neglect.

Jeff
GeneH [Avatar]
[Post New]
It looks like with the latest update of PD 365, the Rotate Canvas effect has returned.