Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Look Photo Director - Background Processes Issue ~ April 2023
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
I thought I'd start another thread with even though it maybe a similar issue.
I frequently (!) use the Microsoft Task Manager when/if I think I may have a PC problem and while I was using PowerDirector to edit my latest video, I noticed that my PC was not running as smoothly as it should. Checking thru Task Manager I noticed that PhotDirector was still running in the background even though I'd closed it down after using it. several hours ago. I then used Task Manager to close the "back ground "program".

After finishing my edit in PowerDirector, it closed fully! I tried running PhotoDirector again, it launched as in the new fashion, selected a random image to adjust, saved it, closed the progam and then closed the very annouying splash screen.
Acording to Task Manager, Cyberlink Photodirector was now running in the "Background Processes" even though the program was closed down, I tried to launch PhotoDirector by clicking on the link on my PC, it didn't launch!

Only by using Task Manager to close the background process could I then re-launch PhotoDirector.

Anyone else having this issue?

Cheers
[Thumb - CPU Resource.jpg]
 Filename
CPU Resource.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
CPU + Resource
 Filesize
272 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - Resource Monitor 2.jpg]
 Filename
Resource Monitor 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Resource Monitor
 Filesize
191 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I have tested and I don’t see this behaviour. When I close PhotoDirector and the annoying splash screen, I don’t see any PD14 activities in the background. It may be that PD14 is scanning your library e.g. to select faces or the like? I don’t use that functionality.
Maybe check with the same resource manager what files it is accessing if any; or network activities? This might give you an idea of any activity/purpose?

B.t.w. I agree that this splash windows is very annoying, but I like the layout of the screens “behind” it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2023 07:34

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Like Warry, I see PhD quit immediately in the task monitor window as soon as I close the annoying splash/selection screen.

I agree that you may find some useful info be taking a look at what other activites PhD is doing after you've closed it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2023 13:46

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote I have tested and I don’t see this behaviour. When I close PhotoDirector and the annoying splash screen, I don’t see any PD14 activities in the background. It may be that PD14 is scanning your library e.g. to select faces or the like? I don’t use that functionality.
Maybe check with the same resource manager what files it is accessing if any; or network activities? This might give you an idea of any activity/purpose?

B.t.w. I agree that this splash windows is very annoying, but I like the layout of the screens “behind” it.

Hi Warry, thanks for your reply.
I've added a few more screen grabs, but this time there's a "PDR is checking project" before PDR launches !
There is no network or disk activity after PDR has closed down, memory usage reduces until it reaches what is shown on the screen grab. In the Services tab, RichVideo64 is showing Cyberlink RichVideo64 Services(CRVS) is still running. PDR is using 639.7MB while running in the background !
I closed PDR by using Task Manager again, while watching CPU Processes in the Resource Monitor, PDR was greyed out but showed that it was still using just one thread for a few moments then it dissapeared off screen. No futher indictioins of Cyberlink Photodirector could be found working in the background !

I re-launched PhotoDirector again and after clicking on that Splash screen again I was shown that "PDR is checking project" yet again! Could this be the problem as PDR needs to keep checking project ?

Thanks for you help in this matter.

Cheers
[Thumb - Threads.jpg]
 Filename
Threads.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Threads running after PDR has been closed
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
[Thumb - Memory.jpg]
 Filename
Memory.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Memory usage after PDR is been closed
 Filesize
100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
[Thumb - PHDR is checking project.jpg]
 Filename
PHDR is checking project.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PDR is checking project
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Is the f: disk (always) online? Is that where you have defined your working folders for PhD?
what I suggest you do is, (temporarily) change the name of the folder showing in your image, such that PhD is not able to discover it, hence not checking it again.
It may also be worth it while to look at what there is in this project? Would it be possible that you have (too) many images, or deleted images, or images on a disk that is not online... would it be possible to check the project yourself, to see whether something obviously is wrong?
by renaming you effectively delete the project from PhD without loosing it. ....
My two cents ....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2023 16:48

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Is the f: disk (always) online? Is that where you have defined your working folders for PhD?
what I suggest you do is, (temporarily) change the name of the folder showing in your image, such that PhD is not able to discover it, hence not checking it again.
It may also be worth it while to look at what there is in this project? Would it be possible that you have (too) many images, or deleted images, or images on a disk that is not online... would it be possible to check the project yourself, to see whether something obviously is wrong?
by renaming you effectively delete the project from PhD without loosing it. ....
My two cents ....

Hi Warry - Many thanks for your suggestings. I'll follow through your ideas later on today and post back any findings.

cheers