Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 21 choppy preview when moving timeline over videoclip
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2023 16:16 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I am having trouble with PD on my desktop pc. The preview is choppy when I move the timeline over a videoclip.

Specifications of my pc:

ADM Ryzen 7 8 cores
32gb internal memory
1TB SSD m2
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro motherboard
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3070 8gb videocard
I have installed the Nvidia Studio driver

When I use PD on my laptop, it runs much smoother!

Specifications of my laptop:

Intel Core i5
16gb internal memory
256gb SSD
Intel HD 520 graphics display adapter

I have set the preview quality to full hd and shadow file resolution to 1280 x 720 on my laptop. It runs so much smoother on my laptop then on my desktop PC !

Why is PD not running smooth on my desktop PC? I hope someone can give me the answer! Thanks!

By the way, I added the dxdiag file.
 Filename
DxDiag desktopPC.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
95 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
79 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 26. 2023 16:00

Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I am having trouble with PD on my desktop pc. The preview is choppy when I move the timeline over a videoclip.

Specifications of my pc:

ADM Ryzen 7 8 cores
32gb internal memory
1TB SSD m2
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro motherboard
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3070 8gb videocard
I have installed the Nvidia Studio driver

When I use PD on my laptop, it runs much smoother!

Specifications of my laptop:

Intel Core i5
16gb internal memory
256gb SSD
Intel HD 520 graphics display adapter

I have set the preview quality to full hd and shadow file resolution to 1280 x 720 on my laptop. It runs so much smoother on my laptop then on my desktop PC !

Why is PD not running smooth on my desktop PC? I hope someone can give me the answer! Thanks!

By the way, I added the dxdiag file.

I just tried other software like Magix Video Deluxe, Quick from GoPro and Wondershare Filmora 12. When I import the exact videoclip that I used in PD into Magix Video Deluxe, Quick or Wondershare Filmora 12 and move the timeline over the videoclip the preview is really smooth. In PD it is choppy as hell even though I lowered all the settings

I also tried the free version of Da Vinci Resolve. Run's very smooth on my pc!

I would have liked a subscription to Powerdirector and Photodirector but this issue is going to be a dealbreaker for me.

I really hope someone can help me out with this!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 27. 2023 10:47

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You shouldn't be having any trouble previewing, but your DxDiag results show that you've had several LiveKernelLeak 141 errors which might be related to your nVidia driver.

Try following all the steps in this post to check Windows core system files and to do a clean reinstall of your current nVidia 531.41 driver.
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You shouldn't be having any trouble previewing, but your DxDiag results show that you've had several LiveKernelLeak 141 errors which might be related to your nVidia driver.

Try following all the steps in this post to check Windows core system files and to do a clean reinstall of your current nVidia 531.41 driver.

Hi!

Thanks for all the info.

I tried everything and followed all the steps, but nothing works

Did a clean reinstall of the Nvidia driver but no luck. Deleted PD and the app manager but did not the solve the issue. Also I added a new account but that also didn't work.

It's strange that other software like Da Vinci, Magix Video Deluxe and Wondershare Filmora works perfectly and PD is really laggy???

I am not sure what to do anymore.

Hope there are other steps I could try to solve this problem I am having.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you can share the clip you're having trouble with there might be a clue there. You can upload it to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ or this OneDrive support page.

Alternately drag the clip onto the MediaInfo online tool and attach the text details here so we can see the technical details of the clip.

Otherwise try converting it using a free app like Handbrake and see if that solves the issue.

Last step would be to contact CL tech support here.

Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you can share the clip you're having trouble with there might be a clue there. You can upload it to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ or this OneDrive support page.

Alternately drag the clip onto the MediaInfo online tool and attach the text details here so we can see the technical details of the clip.

Otherwise try converting it using a free app like Handbrake and see if that solves the issue.

Last step would be to contact CL tech support here.

I am 100% sure it is not related to the clip. I used the exact clip in other software and the preview is very smooth.

I also used the media that came with PD.

Last option I have is to do a full reinstall of Windows 11 Pro, but that is a real last resort.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You might try changing your 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz) display settings to basic 1920x1080 60Hz and see if it makes any difference. If it does, maybe that will shed some insight into direction to go.

Jeff
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You might try changing your 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz) display settings to basic 1920x1080 60Hz and see if it makes any difference. If it does, maybe that will shed some insight into direction to go.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I lowered the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 and the refresh rate to 60Hz, but it doesn't help. The preview is still choppy
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I captured the preview in PD with one videoclip of my own, I and did the same in Da Vinci Resolve and Wondershare Filmora.

See samples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yQ5g8VauF51AKR1y0oR6757Dk4aVcT0A?usp=sharing

In Da Vinci Resolve and Wondershare Filmora the preview is butterly smooth but in PD it's terrible

I already contacted Cyberlink support about this issue I am having.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I captured the preview in PD with one videoclip of my own, I and did the same in Da Vinci Resolve and Wondershare Filmora.

See samples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yQ5g8VauF51AKR1y0oR6757Dk4aVcT0A?usp=sharing

In Da Vinci Resolve and Wondershare Filmora the preview is butterly smooth but in PD it's terrible

I already contacted Cyberlink support about this issue I am having.

It would have been nice if you put the original clip in the same share. Looks to me like a massive frame issue or frame decode issue. Video details of that MTS file would have been nice to have a look at, could be GOP pattern perhaps. I know you said sample media appears the same, which is truly surprising.

I guess hopefully CL support has an answer for you, be very patient.

Jeff
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]

It would have been nice if you put the original clip in the same share. Looks to me like a massive frame issue or frame decode issue. Video details of that MTS file would have been nice to have a look at, could be GOP pattern perhaps. I know you said sample media appears the same, which is truly surprising.

I guess hopefully CL support has an answer for you, be very patient.

Jeff

Hi,

I doesn't matter which videoclip I use. Also clips from my old Mini DV tape camera are choppy when I preview them. I still find it very strange that the preview is bad in PD and not in other software. Also with clips I downloaded from Shutterstock.

I really hope CL support can sort this out! I still like the interface of PD.

By the way, just to be clear, I am still using the trial version of PD.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 28. 2023 17:39

optodata
[Post New]
Quote By the way, just to be clear, I am still using the trial version of PD.

Wow that's a pretty key detail to leave out. The trial version has severe limitations, especially with high resolution clips, but that wouldn't explain why you can't preview the sample clips without difficulty.

If you want, you can uninstall the trial version and buy PD21 or subscribe to PD365 to get the actual program. Cyberlink has a 30-day money back guarantee so you can get a full refund if you and tech support can't get things to work smoothly.

That would rule out a whole bunch of ssues with the trial version
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Wow that's a pretty key detail to leave out. The trial version has severe limitations, especially with high resolution clips, but that wouldn't explain why you can't preview the sample clips without difficulty.

If you want, you can uninstall the trial version and buy PD21 or subscribe to PD365 to get the actual program. Cyberlink has a 30-day money back guarantee so you can get a full refund if you and tech support can't get things to work smoothly.

Hi,

It is worth a try but on the other hand the trial version would not be a good representation of PD if Cyberlink left out a lot of features.

I have contacted CL support and hopefully they have a solution.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote ... but on the other hand the trial version would not be a good representation of PD if Cyberlink left out a lot of features.

I agree, but that's exactly what CL has decided to do. It sounds like you didn't see this page before you downloaded the trial version.
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I agree, but that's exactly what CL has decided to do. It sounds like you didn't see this page before you downloaded the trial version.

I don't believe the preview in PD is choppy and laggy because CL let out some features in the trial version, because why is PD running smooth on my slower laptop?

CL support will hopefully have a solution.
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,

I bought PD21 and after installing the full version, still no luck. Preview is still choppy and laggy when I move the timeline over the videoclip. Even with the samples that come with PD.
optodata
[Post New]
I'm stumped as to what's going on with your system. Try it on any other computer and it should run smoothly
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm stumped as to what's going on with your system. Try it on any other computer and it should run smoothly

Since OP mentioned twice in the thread that PD runs smooth on his slower laptop, seems like he's already demonstrated that.

I thought the issue was another like this, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/118584.page#post_box_446281 where inappropriate display settings with cables caused serious playback issues. However, OP tried the lower 1920x1080 resolution and said it didn't resolve. If by chance you are using HDMI and possibly an old 1.0 HDMI cable, maybe try a DisplayPort cable which wouldn't have any of those issues.

Jeff
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Since OP mentioned twice in the thread that PD runs smooth on his slower laptop, seems like he's already demonstrated that.

I thought the issue was another like this, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/118584.page#post_box_446281 where inappropriate display settings with cables caused serious playback issues. However, OP tried the lower 1920x1080 resolution and said it didn't resolve. If by chance you are using HDMI and possibly an old 1.0 HDMI cable, maybe try a DisplayPort cable which wouldn't have any of those issues.

Jeff

Hi,

It's not related to the video cable. I use the DisplayPort cable on my Gigabyte RTX3070 videocard.

All other video editing software works flawless on my computer. Just tried another one, Movavi. Works perfect.

Sorry Cyberlink, but if they can't find a solution to this problem I am stepping over to another video editing program.
Nick_NG66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just discovered something. I have restarted my PC into safe mode and removed the Nvidia driver with Display Driver Uninstaller DDU. In safe mode after removing the Nvidia driver I started PD. Strangly enough the preview is much better. I restarted my PC in normal mode and for the display driver the standard Microsoft display driver is used. Max resolution is 1920 x 1080. The preview is much better without the Nvidia driver.

Then I installed the oldest Nvidia Studio driver for Windows 11, version 472.12.

Started PD and did a hardware optimize. Deleted the cached files (rendered), preview on HD resolution and rendering on.

Preview is terrible again!

I still believe this issue is caused by PD and not the Nvidia driver. Somehow the interface between PD and the Nvidia driver is causing problems.

With other video editing software no problems at all!

Where can I download an older version of PD? Would be interesting to try if an older version of PD works better.

Attached the dxdiag file again.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
97 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
69 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 02. 2023 11:41