Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD is crashing after about 30 seconds of starting the program no matter what I do, even sitting idle
Tom57 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 08, 2017 22:14 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
PD version 21.3.2708.0 has just started crashing on me approximatly 30 seconds after starting the program. It makes no difference what I'm doing. I can even start it up and just let it sit idle for 30 seconds, then it crashes. I have disabled shadow copy rendering, etc. I have restarted my computer.

The only thing I can think of is that I was working with some media from some backup drives a few days ago, but I've removed them.

I've noticed that my Titles and other features don't show up for a while after opening the program. Perhaps it is one of the background tasks that are finishing the load of the program that are causing the crashes. The crashes seem to be fairly regular, about 30 seconds (I haven't timed it; just a guess) after startup.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tom
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
119 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
93 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2023 15:20

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The first thing I'd do would be to update the video driver for your Intel UHD Graphics 630 processor, as your version is more than 4 years out of date. Get the latest version from Intel here.

The next thing I'd so would be to run the commands shown in this post to see if there are any underlying problems in Windows.
Tom57 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The first thing I'd do would be to update the video driver for your Intel UHD Graphics 630 processor, as your version is more than 4 years out of date. Get the latest version from Intel here.

The next thing I'd so would be to run the commands shown in this post to see if there are any underlying problems in Windows.

I’m a little embarrassed that you had to point out to me that my driver was four years old, but then it seems that’s the latest version available, so I guess it’s not so bad. Although, that does seem a little long with no updates.

The SFC scan reports it found and fixed some problems:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

The DISM scan reports it did not find any problems.

I put a stopwatch on it and PD is crashing after 1m, 30s (+/- 15 seconds) after startup. This is very consistent. You can just start PD and let it sit idle and it will crash after 90 seconds. It makes no difference what you do. I have noticed that my titles, etc., do no fully load at startup. Only about 100 or so of the Titles get loaded for example. Sometime after startup the remaining titles, etc., start showing up. I suspect that maybe it’s one of those delayed load items that’s causing the problem. I have always installed all the new titles, fonts, etc., as they are released. I’m starting to think that may not be best practice.

Just to be clear, everything was working fine up until this morning. About the last thing I can remember doing out of the ordinary was to apply an Nvidia update (within the last day or two), so that's another thing I'll look in to.

I will monitor Nvidia for a new update, and of course Cyberlink (I've been sending them these crash reports as they occur), and I think I will start de-installing all of the Titles and other things that I've installed and will likely never use.

Thanks for your help. If you have any further insight it will always be appreciated. If I manage to find a way to fix it I'll update the post so everyone can know.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
To be clear, I was talking about your Intel GPU driver, not the one for your nVidia GTX 1060. That one was current in your DxDiag test report. I still suggest that you update the Intel driver from the link I provided.

If you suspect that the issue is related to the latest nVidia driver, follow the steps here to force a clean (re)install.

Along with the repairs that SFC made, maybe a clean nVidia driver installation will solve your issue.
Tom57 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote To be clear, I was talking about your Intel GPU driver, not the one for your nVidia GTX 1060. That one was current in your DxDiag test report. I still suggest that you update the Intel driver from the link I provided.

If you suspect that the issue is related to the latest nVidia driver, follow the steps here to force a clean (re)install.

Along with the repairs that SFC made, maybe a clean nVidia driver installation will solve your issue.

Yes, I was aware it was the Intel driver (c 201. I installed the Intel Driver & Support plug-in and it reports all my Intel drivers are up-to-date. (I agree with you that four years with no update is a little suspicious ... like maybe they've dropped support for that hardware.)

I'll try the Nvidia re-install and see if that helps. Maybe tomorrow, running out of time for this today.

Also noted that my PC updated a few things overnight including the MS C++ libraries (to 14.32.31332). I used the Windows Apps "repair" function on them but it did not solve the problem.

Thanks again for your help.
Tom57 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, I was aware it was the Intel driver (c 201. I installed the Intel Driver & Support plug-in and it reports all my Intel drivers are up-to-date. (I agree with you that four years with no update is a little suspicious ... like maybe they've dropped support for that hardware.)

I'll try the Nvidia re-install and see if that helps. Maybe tomorrow, running out of time for this today.

Also noted that my PC updated a few things overnight including the MS C++ libraries (to 14.32.31332). I used the Windows Apps "repair" function on them but it did not solve the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

I did the Nvidia driver remove/re-install but it did not help.

Running out of cards to play ...
optodata
[Post New]
Contact CL tech support here.

You can include a link to this discussion in your support request, but be prepared to answer a couple rounds of boilerplate questions before getting into anything significant.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Yes, I was aware it was the Intel driver (c 2018). I installed the Intel Driver & Support plug-in and it reports all my Intel drivers are up-to-date. (I agree with you that four years with no update is a little suspicious ... like maybe they've dropped support for that hardware.)

Download and install the driver I linked to like I wrote. Don't use the auto-detect tool.. Your i7-8750H CPU is 8th gen and that driver is for gen 6-10, so it will work.
Tom57 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Download and install the driver I linked to like I wrote. Don't use the auto-detect tool.. Your i7-8750H CPU is 8th gen and that driver is for gen 6-10, so it will work.

Attempting to install the driver is failing. Error log attached, but I belive this is the problem (last line of the log):

2023/03/26 12:13:38.060|ERROR|At least on one device is try to install 2ID DCH driver on 4ID legacy driver. Device name = "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630". ||

CL opened a ticket on this (CS002637409) so I need to go update it with all the current info. I sent them a crash log this morning with the ticket number attached so maybe there will be sufficient troubleshooting info in that to help out.

After sleeping on it I just want to reiterate that overnight on the 24th MS pushed out new versions of the Visual C++ libraries (assiming PD is written in C++ ?) and on the morning of the 25th (yesterday) the problem started. I suppose I could try rolling that back to a prior version and see if that helps. But for now I'll see if CL Tech has any luck.

Thanks once again for all your help on this one.
[Thumb - Windows Updates.png]
 Filename
Windows Updates.png
[Disk]
 Description
Windows Updates
 Filesize
225 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
15 time(s)
 Filename
Driver Update Error Log.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Driver update error log
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
82 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The "2ID DCH driver on 4ID legacy driver" error often occurs when you try updating to the linked Intel generic graphic drivers on a laptop that had OEM specific drivers, usually not a wise first step.

On laptops it is very common for OEM's to customize the Intel graphics driver in order to support unique features. This can be things like a brightness control button for the display or more complex mods like GPU switching between dual graphics solutions.

If you really think the graphics driver that's apparently been working fine on your system is the issue, I'd first try updating to the latest from Asus to preserve any OEM mods they may have done.

If you still want to install the Intel generic graphics driver package understanding by doing so you may lose customizations the OEM has done, there is a way to do so, the process is fairly simple.

Jeff
Tom57 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The "2ID DCH driver on 4ID legacy driver" error often occurs when you try updating to the linked Intel generic graphic drivers on a laptop that had OEM specific drivers, usually not a wise first step.

On laptops it is very common for OEM's to customize the Intel graphics driver in order to support unique features. This can be things like a brightness control button for the display or more complex mods like GPU switching between dual graphics solutions.

If you really think the graphics driver that's apparently been working fine on your system is the issue, I'd first try updating to the latest from Asus to preserve any OEM mods they may have done.

If you still want to install the Intel generic graphics driver package understanding by doing so you may lose customizations the OEM has done, there is a way to do so, the process is fairly simple.

Jeff

No, I don't think it's the issue, just odd. But PD has been working fine for several years on this laptop until the crashing started occuring two days ago. Nothing really changed on the laptop (no Cyberlink updates, etc.). Did notice that Windows pushed out updated C++ libraries around the time the crashing started occuring. Hoping that the crash reports I'm sending to Tech Support will have more embedded info to help with the diagnosis.

Probably can't repeat this too often: One day everything is working fine. Nothing (that I know of) changes. The next day PD crashes after 90 seconds 100% of the time. It makes no difference what I do; I can just start the app and walk away and let it sit there and it crashes after 90 seconds.

Thanks for the explanation on the driver. That was very helpful.
JourneyRock92 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2023 18:27 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

No, I don't think it's the issue, just odd. But PD has been working fine for several years on this laptop until the crashing started occuring two days ago. Nothing really changed on the laptop (no Cyberlink updates, etc.). Did notice that Windows pushed out updated C++ libraries around the time the crashing started occuring. Hoping that the crash reports I'm sending to Tech Support will have more embedded info to help with the diagnosis.

Probably can't repeat this too often: One day everything is working fine. Nothing (that I know of) changes. The next day PD crashes after 90 seconds 100% of the time. It makes no difference what I do; I can just start the app and walk away and let it sit there and it crashes after 90 seconds.

Thanks for the explanation on the driver. That was very helpful.

If it helps, I've also been having this issue for the past 2-3 days. I'll be in the middle of a project or leave it idle, and the program crashes. I have to save very often to make sure I don't lose progress. It looks like this might be a wider problem, but I'm not sure of a fix.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28. 2023 18:28

Tom57 [Avatar]
[Post New]

If it helps, I've also been having this issue for the past 2-3 days. I'll be in the middle of a project or leave it idle, and the program crashes. I have to save very often to make sure I don't lose progress. It looks like this might be a wider problem, but I'm not sure of a fix.

Sounds similar, and the start time seems to match up fairly well. We have an open ticket on this issue: CS002637409

So far they have asked for a listing of all installed programs on the laptop, firewall and anti-virus info, and had me capture screen recordings of the failure. I provided this info to them earlier today.

Stay tuned for further updates ...
JourneyRock92 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sounds similar, and the start time seems to match up fairly well. We have an open ticket on this issue: CS002637409

So far they have asked for a listing of all installed programs on the laptop, firewall and anti-virus info, and had me capture screen recordings of the failure. I provided this info to them earlier today.

Stay tuned for further updates ...

I hope they're able to find the issue. I'll have to resort to an older version of PowerDirector, in the meantime. I can't even create videos without it crashing in the middle of rendering. Looking forward to updates!

UPDATE: I have a desktop, as well, and tried 365 on it this evening. After installing, everything actually ran smoothly and no crashes. I was able to successfully edit and render a video I'd been working on. This leads me to believe it may be computer related. The computer I'm having these issues on is a Dell Inspiron laptop. I'll try on one other computer tomorrow to see if it also works. If it does, I'll start to think something is wrong with the laptop.

I've also reinstalled nvidia drivers with a clean install on and ran the diagnostics on the command prompt (found no errors). Neither fixed the issue on the laptop.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 29. 2023 00:42

JourneyRock92 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I hope they're able to find the issue. I'll have to resort to an older version of PowerDirector, in the meantime. I can't even create videos without it crashing in the middle of rendering. Looking forward to updates!

UPDATE: I have a desktop, as well, and tried 365 on it this evening. After installing, everything actually ran smoothly and no crashes. I was able to successfully edit and render a video I'd been working on. This leads me to believe it may be computer related. The computer I'm having these issues on is a Dell Inspiron laptop. I'll try on one other computer tomorrow to see if it also works. If it does, I'll start to think something is wrong with the laptop.

I've also reinstalled nvidia drivers with a clean install on and ran the diagnostics on the command prompt (found no errors). Neither fixed the issue on the laptop.

I wanted to update my update. I tried installing the 365 software onto another desktop I have today. Once again, everything works fine. No crashes, and I was able to edit and render another video without issues. To me, this is pointing more towards my laptop, cause it's the only system I'm having issues on. I do remember installing new nvidia drivers around the time this problem occurred. So it could be do to a bad driver. At least, that's what I'm feeling. Hope something can come about fixing this issue soon (whichever is causing the problem).
Tom57 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I wanted to update my update. I tried installing the 365 software onto another desktop I have today. Once again, everything works fine. No crashes, and I was able to edit and render another video without issues. To me, this is pointing more towards my laptop, cause it's the only system I'm having issues on. I do remember installing new nvidia drivers around the time this problem occurred. So it could be do to a bad driver. At least, that's what I'm feeling. Hope something can come about fixing this issue soon (whichever is causing the problem).

Congratulations JourneyRock92, you provided the needed info. I also had done an NVidia driver update a day or two before this problem occured. Driver version 531.41, released March 23, 2023.

From the Nvidia drivers website you can download old drivers from the "Beta and Older Drivers" section. The prior release of the driver is 531.29, released March 14, 2023. I downloaded it and did a "clean" install and now PowerDirector seems to be working again.

Thanks to the community for all your help on this. I'll let CyberLink know about this.

Tom
JourneyRock92 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Congratulations JourneyRock92, you provided the needed info. I also had done an NVidia driver update a day or two before this problem occured. Driver version 531.41, released March 23, 2023.

From the Nvidia drivers website you can download old drivers from the "Beta and Older Drivers" section. The prior release of the driver is 531.29, released March 14, 2023. I downloaded it and did a "clean" install and now PowerDirector seems to be working again.

Thanks to the community for all your help on this. I'll let CyberLink know about this.

Tom

I'm so glad to hear it's working for you again! I was actually about to update on the situation and tell you guys that it was working for me after I installed an older video driver. Glad to be of help!
Tom57 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'm so glad to hear it's working for you again! I was actually about to update on the situation and tell you guys that it was working for me after I installed an older video driver. Glad to be of help!

Status update:

CyberLink has not been able to reproduce this problem on their test systems, so they have asked for permission to access my computer remotely to do further troubleshooting. I have agreed to this.

Nvida asked me to verify whether or not this problem also affects the Studio Driver, or just the Game Ready Driver. It affects both:

Game Ready Driver: v531.29 work okay, v531.41 fails.
Studio Driver: v528.49 works okay, v531.41 fails.

So, both companies are working this issue. As long as things keep happening I'll keep updating this thread.

CyberLink Ticket ID: CS002637409
Nvidia Incident: 230329-000319
Pierre_01 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 17, 2020 21:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Status update:

CyberLink has not been able to reproduce this problem on their test systems, so they have asked for permission to access my computer remotely to do further troubleshooting. I have agreed to this.

Nvida asked me to verify whether or not this problem also affects the Studio Driver, or just the Game Ready Driver. It affects both:

Game Ready Driver: v531.29 work okay, v531.41 fails.
Studio Driver: v528.49 works okay, v531.41 fails.

So, both companies are working this issue. As long as things keep happening I'll keep updating this thread.

CyberLink Ticket ID: CS002637409
Nvidia Incident: 230329-000319

I had the exact same problem after updating my Nvidia drivers to version 531.41 (March 23rd 2023), I reverted back to the drivers available on my laptop manufacturer's website, which are older, and PowerDirector stopped crashing. It crashed without me doing anything as well a few seconds after the program was launched.

I am using PowerDirector version 17.0.5003.0

It really seems to be an Nvidia driver issue... at least I hope since my version of PowerDirector is no longer updated by Cyberlink.
If I can't, in the long run, be using Nvidia's latest GPU drivers (which in my case are for an RTX 3050 Laptop), I'll change software entirely and will no longer consider Cyberlink... which would be a shame since I'm a long time user of their software and I kind of liked it.
Tom57 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I had the exact same problem after updating my Nvidia drivers to version 531.41 (March 23rd 2023), I reverted back to the drivers available on my laptop manufacturer's website, which are older, and PowerDirector stopped crashing. It crashed without me doing anything as well a few seconds after the program was launched.

I am using PowerDirector version 17.0.5003.0

It really seems to be an Nvidia driver issue... at least I hope since my version of PowerDirector is no longer updated by Cyberlink.
If I can't, in the long run, be using Nvidia's latest GPU drivers (which in my case are for an RTX 3050 Laptop), I'll change software entirely and will no longer consider Cyberlink... which would be a shame since I'm a long time user of their software and I kind of liked it.

Just a quick update on this: CyberLink is going to remote access my computer tonight (Houston time) to see if they can determine what's causing this. Nvidia is also awaiting this results of this test. So, hopefully we will have more information soon.

One other thing, there was an Nvidia "hotfix" issued (531.5 which I tested at the request of CyberLink. It did not solve the problem.