Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timeline and shooting frame rates for PD mobile
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2014 17:29 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I am a begginner filming on a smartphone wih FilMic Pro and editing in PD Mobile.

I would like to ask some questions that perhaps some members could help me with.

My confusion is in selecting frame rate settings.

• What is the PDM timeline frame rate and can it be changed
  • In FilmicPro I have the option of selecting a frame rate to shoot in and a playback frame rate for the same shot, so for instance 60/30 for a slow motion shot, the footage is automatically adjusted for playback
  • Which frame rate would I shoot with for the option of applying slow motion in the edit?...if I shoot within filmicpro at 60fps and select 60fps playback then I would be importing into PDmobile timeline at 60fps. My confusion starts here....If my timeline is set at say 30fps then I presume my clip will be 2x slow motin once imported. Is it imperative to know the timeline frame rate before selecting your shooting frame rate

Hopefully someone can understand my ramblings and educate me......smile
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
PD will always play back the clip at the recorded speed regardless of how many fps. You can choose to produce at a different rate, but that only affects how many frames per second there are in the finished video, No speed changes will occur unless you:

a) Intentionally change speed in your PD project or
b) record using the built-in slo-mo feature in your phone (or in FiLMiC Pro)

In other words, if you record at 60p but then choose to produce to 30p, PD will drop every other frame and you will possibly lose some fidelity and smoothness, especially if there's motion. Otherwise the video remains unchanged.

On the other hand, if you record at 30fps and choose to produce at 60p, PD doesn't have any new information so it will simply double the existing frames to fill the additional ones needed.

Here are screenshots for setting the frame rate, which is only available from the Produce screen:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 23. 2023 00:31

chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thats a great reply, thank you.

Could you take a look at my next example and try and explain to me...smile

So far I have been producing at 24 fps.

I would like to include within my future edits the ability to create speed ramps. During the shoot I would not know what action would be worthy of a speed ramp, With this in mind at the set off, where should my shoot and produce fps be.

I can understand that if I produce at 24fps and shoot at 60 fps and playback at 24fps within FilmicPro then I will get a slow motion clip that will match up in the produced result

But......is there a frame rate combination to shoot in real time, then watch the footage and decide where real time speeds up and slows down in the shot, whilst keeping the footage smooth?, or is there a compromise setting that I should use?

Chris......

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 23. 2023 04:42

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Could you take a look at my next example and try and explain to me...smile

So far I have been producing at 24 fps.

I would like to include within my future edits the ability to create speed ramps. During the shoot I would not know what action would be worthy of a speed ramp, With this in mind at the set off, where should my shoot and produce fps be.

Where is the next example that you want explained. The frame rate doesn’t change the speed of motion in the clip as already explained by optodata. You have to enable a slow motion effect in the timeline to do that.

See this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOonoKDnKM . It could answer about producing at 24 fps, 60 fps video, and speed ramps.
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Where is the next example that you want explained. The frame rate doesn’t change the speed of motion in the clip as already explained by optodata. You have to enable a slow motion effect in the timeline to do that.

See this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOonoKDnKM . It could answer about producing at 24 fps, 60 fps video, and speed ramps.

Thanks for the clip....laughing

In the linked clip he has shot in 120fps, which allows him to apply the slow motion, he then intends to produce the clip at 24 fps.

If I am understanding this corectly the clip will drop frames from the original 120fps to allow it to fit the produced 24 fps

Will this alter the quality of the clip causing jitter?

Would producing at a higher rate, say 60fps be better?...im going on the logic that less frames will be dropped.

Would shooting, altering speed and producing everything at 60fps work better?

Chris....
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the clip....laughing

In the linked clip he has shot in 120fps, which allows him to apply the slow motion, he then intends to produce the clip at 24 fps.

If I am understanding this corectly the clip will drop frames from the original 120fps to allow it to fit the produced 24 fps

Will this alter the quality of the clip causing jitter?

Would producing at a higher rate, say 60fps be better?...im going on the logic that less frames will be dropped.

Would shooting, altering speed and producing everything at 60fps work better?

Chris....

One can always set the slow motion rate to have no added frames and no removed frames. The produced 24 fps video can look as smooth as silk. 24 fps/ 60 fps = 0.4, 24 fps/ 120 fps =0.2 Setting the 60 fps and 120 fps video to 0.4 and 0.2 respectively will accomplish this.

Most people’s eyes can tolerate judder. Americans watching 24 fps movies with a 3:2 pulldown get used to it on a NTSC TV. The tutorial slow motion is set to 0.3. You probably did not see the judder at all and the judder in the ramping for 0.5 seconds as frames were removed or added as needed for the 24 fps needed.

Here is a 60 fps YouTube short recorded at 60 fps. Slow motion set at 0.1(10X slower): https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fUKO70Y5xSI . You need to check and let me know if you see any judder in the background. The Audio maintains the pitch during the slow motion segment as explained in the tutorial.

You see the slow motion at 0.3 in the tutorial instead of the 0.2 explained. You see the YT short slow motion at 0.1 with the audio pitch maintained. You have to let us know if you see any problems with the slow motions not set at the explained settings. Do you prefer 24 fps or 60 fps you see?? Or does it matter…
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]

One can always set the slow motion rate to have no added frames and no removed frames. The produced 24 fps video can look as smooth as silk. 24 fps/ 60 fps = 0.4, 24 fps/ 120 fps =0.2 Setting the 60 fps and 120 fps video to 0.4 and 0.2 respectively will accomplish this.

Most people’s eyes can tolerate judder. Americans watching 24 fps movies with a 3:2 pulld down get used to it on a NTSC TV. The tutorial slow motion is set to 0.3. You probably did not see the judder at all and the judder in the ramping for 0.5 seconds as frames were removed or added as needed for the 24 fps needed.

Here is a 60 fps YouTube short recorded at 60 fps. Slow motion set at 0.1(10X slower): https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fUKO70Y5xSI . You need to check and let me know if you see any judder in the background. The Audio maintains the pitch during the slow motion segment as explained in the tutorial.

You see the slow motion at 0.3 in the tutorial instead of the 0.2 explained. You see the YT short slow motion at 0.1 with the audio pitch maintained. You have to let us know if you see any problems with the slow motions not set at the explained settings. Do you prefer 24 fps or 60 fps you see?? Or does it matter…

Im slowly beginning to grasp this!!!!, your first paragraph, I now understand what you are saying....thank you.

Ok...so both clips look fine to me, I still have some questions which you may have already answered in your apply above, bare with me it is a lot for this Scottish newb to comprehend!!!!

So in reality my eyes enjoyed both clips, but for the sake of theory.....

Shooting 60fps and producing 60fps and using x 0.1 slow motion for specific action within clip, in this scenario the majority of the clip is frame matched 60/60 and only the slow motion is losing frames

Shooting 120fps and producing at 24 fps and using x 0.2 slow motion for specific action within clip, in this scenario the majority of the clip is mis-matched 120/24 and only the slow motion is frame matched

Is the above theoretically correct?

If above is making sense to you , then there will always be a comprimise when adjusting speed in a clip, but whether the eye can pick it up is up to each individual.....this correct?
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
POTENTIAL LIGHT BULB MOMENT.....cool

If shooting in 60fps then producing at 24fps will the end result be the same as if shooting at 24fps and producing at 24fps?

If this is true then I have grasped what was confusing me!!!

Shoot at 60fps, when desired use slow motion at x 0.4, produce at 24fps for that cinematic feel.

Please be true....
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If shooting in 60fps then producing at 24fps will the end result be the same as if shooting at 24fps and producing at 24fps?

Not true.

Maybe think of it this way. I have 60 cards, each card (frame) has a picture and each card is shown for 1/60 of a sec. So I have 60fps video as one flashes each of the cards for 1/60 sec and my 60 cards will last for 1 sec video duration. My video sequence is cards, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.....all the way to 60 and each card is 1/60 of a sec flash.

To get 30fps from this 60fps source I need 30 cards, so I take out every other card, so now my video has 30 cards, cards 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.... and each card is shown for a longer period of time, 1/30 of a sec. 30 cards each shown for 1/30 of a sec, for my same 1 sec video duration. If significant motion happened in the original 3, 4, 5, frame sequence, I captured the same motion, but I had to skip frame 4 so it's not as smooth as the true 60fps source. It's not as smooth as the 60fps card video but in time space it's identical.

To get 24fps from this 60fps source I need 24 cards, so in some spots I need to take out every other card of the 60 cards and in other spots multiple cards together as 60/24 is not an integer. So now I might have cards 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, .... as a playing video sequence and each card is shown for a longer period of time, 1/24 of a sec. If I truly shot at constant 24fps and produced at constant 24fps all these frames would be equally spaced in time, 1, 2, 3, to 24. The fact that the frames had to pulled from the 60 cards leaves at times uneven spacing of the shown frame, like the 5, 7, 10 card sequence, which produces judder. The event didn't really happen like that, card 10 was not the next incremental time frame after cards 5, 7 were shown. These continuous hiccups in the actual time space to pull 24 cards out of the source of 60 cards produces judder when there is motion between the frames.

Jeff
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not true.

Maybe think of it this way. I have 60 cards, each card (frame) has a picture and each card is shown for 1/60 of a sec. So I have 60fps video as one flashes each of the cards for 1/60 sec and my 60 cards will last for 1 sec video duration. My video sequence is cards, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.....all the way to 60 and each card is 1/60 of a sec flash.

To get 30fps from this 60fps source I need 30 cards, so I take out every other card, so now my video has 30 cards, cards 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.... and each card is shown for a longer period of time, 1/30 of a sec. 30 cards each shown for 1/30 of a sec, for my same 1 sec video duration. If significant motion happened in the original 3, 4, 5, frame sequence, I captured the same motion, but I had to skip frame 4 so it's not as smooth as the true 60fps source. It's not as smooth as the 60fps card video but in time space it's identical.

To get 24fps from this 60fps source I need 24 cards, so in some spots I need to take out every other card of the 60 cards and in other spots multiple cards together as 60/24 is not an integer. So now I might have cards 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, .... as a playing video sequence and each card is shown for a longer period of time, 1/24 of a sec. If I truly shot at constant 24fps and produced at constant 24fps all these frames would be equally spaced in time, 1, 2, 3, to 24. The fact that the frames had to pulled from the 60 cards leaves at times uneven spacing of the shown frame, like the 5, 7, 10 card sequence, which produces judder. The event didn't really happen like that, card 10 was not the next incremental time frame after cards 5, 7 were shown. These continuous hiccups in the actual time space to pull 24 cards out of the source of 60 cards produces judder when there is motion between the frames.

Jeff

Excellent Jeff, thank you for your time and explanation.

So what I take from all of this is that if you want to use slow motion there will be a compromise in frame rate whichever way you go.....and whether or not that is noticable is dependant on the individuals eye

Its a really interesting theme, not jusy frame rates but the whole package, deffinatly a learning curve to embark on!!

So, for myself, whom is just goofing around for a pastime, with the odd upload to youtube for friends to see, would shooting and editing in 30fps suffice with the increase to 60fps shooting if slow motion may be needed?

Now, whats the relationship with frame rates and speeding up clips, is 60fps and above still relevant?

Chris...
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So, for myself, whom is just goofing around for a pastime, with the odd upload to youtube for friends to see, would shooting and editing in 30fps suffice with the increase to 60fps shooting if slow motion may be needed?

I simply use 60fps, it's always easy to produce at 30fps if I want. If I shoot at 30fps, it's very difficult to add back in real quality frames because you don't have them in your 30fps source if I didn't adequately capture the motion initially. Yes, you can produce this 30fps at 60fps but you don't really have captured frames, you either duplicate frames or some programs can attempt to interpolate between frames 1 and 2 in your 30fps source to make a new frame in-between for 60fps but it's a generated estimate, not a real captured frame had I shot at 60fps.

Quote Now, whats the relationship with frame rates and speeding up clips, is 60fps and above still relevant?

Sure, fps is always important. Forget about frame interpolation to keep this simple. If your source is 60fps and you are producing at 60fps, but you want to slow up a scene, you just add the same frames, so with my 60 cards I'd have a video sequence of 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5 as a play sequence and it would appear 2x slower than the initial event. Since I duplicated frames and each frame is 1/60 sec, I now have a 2 sec video but show the same event content so it's slo motion as prior the event occurred in 1 sec. Speeding up just the opposite, pull frames out so it appears the event occurred faster.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2023 09:42

chrismckay1 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I simply use 60fps, it's always easy to produce at 30fps if I want. If I shoot at 30fps, it's very difficult to add back in real quality frames because you don't have them in your 30fps source if I didn't adequately capture the motion initially. Yes, you can produce this 30fps at 60fps but you don't really have captured frames, you either duplicate frames or some programs can attempt to interpolate between frames 1 and 2 in your 30fps source to make a new frame in-between for 60fps but it's a generated estimate, not a real captured frame had I shot at 60fps.

Sure, fps is always important. Forget about frame interpolation to keep this simple. If your source is 60fps and you are producing at 60fps, but you want to slow up a scene, you just add the same frames, so with my 60 cards I'd have a video sequence of 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5 as a play sequence and it would appear 2x slower than the initial event. Since I duplicated frames and each frame is 1/60 sec, I now have a 2 sec video but show the same event content so it's slo motion as prior the event occurred in 1 sec. Speeding up just the opposite, pull frames out so it appears the event occurred faster.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

So when you say you predominatly use 60fps for shooting do you also produce at 60fps, i understand that it is easy enough to produce to 30fps from a 60 fps source, but just interested to know if you usualy produce at 60 or 30.

Chris..
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff,

So when you say you predominatly use 60fps for shooting do you also produce at 60fps, i understand that it is easy enough to produce to 30fps from a 60 fps source, but just interested to know if you usualy produce at 60 or 30.

Chris..

I primary shoot action, basketball, volleyball, tennis, biking, skiing, RC airplanes, rockets,... so on, basic action takes. To record and playback at 60fps provides much better quality for the action. If you're going to film homes in the neighborhood, for these static objects recording and playing at 30fps will provide great results. Low light, indoor, like wedding receptions, I often do 30fps as you'll typically get better picture quality.

Bottom line, what to use depends on your needs.

Jeff