Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Solved - Audio out of synch, video jumping
Steve1967 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2023 19:20 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I just got a new computer and installed PD365, transferring from an older laptop that was seriously under powered for video editing. On the new machine when I play a video the timeline tracker and audio are out of synch with each other and with the video. For ex, even using the default skateboard clip, the audio runs out a couple seconds before the video ends, and you can see that the timeline tracker is not lining up with peaks and valleys in the audio waveform. The tracker also skips ahead in big steps as it nears the end. These effects are inconsistent, sometimes happening and sometimes not, and sometimes happening differently than in a previous playback. The attached video shows 3 passes. #1 is pretty OK, #2 and #3 are not. A video without sound will skip ahead as well, and seems to happen in the back 1/3 or 1/4 of the video, like it's trying to catch up to where it's supposed to be.

Troubleshooting so far -
1) Restarted both the computer and PD.
2) Tested with other videos and audio clips.
3) Tried reducing the video playback quality, turned off shadow files, and optimized GPU acceleration settings.
4) Tried it with hardward decoding on and off, and with and without rendering the preview.
5) Uninstalled and reinstalled PD.

Thanks for any help!
 Filename
20230318204250.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Skateboard clip glitches
 Filesize
26103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
44 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 19. 2023 11:46

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like your system might be busy doing something else. What does Task Manager show for the CPU load when you do this?
Steve1967 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It looks like your system might be busy doing something else. What does Task Manager show for the CPU load when you do this?

Thanks for your reply. It fluctuates between 10%-15%.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I can't imagine any system skipping like that with an HD clip, nevermind a brand new one. I also don't know what might be happening when a pre-rendered preview can't be played back fluidly.

Just for fun, can you run the DxDiag test and attach the results as shown here?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I also don't know what might be happening when a pre-rendered preview can't be played back fluidly.

In this case, since they just have a clip with no editing mods in the timeline to decode and apply, any form of Render Preview will make the clip larger and more complex to decode and playback.

Basic clip for NTSC timeline, 1920x1080, 4.79Mbps

For Render Preview:
Full HD Preview, 1920x1080, ~20Mbps
HD Preview, 1280x720, ~20Mbps
High Preview, 640x360, ~8Mbps

The timeline decode bitrate requires more computation for Render Preview at any preview quality setting and all are more demanding than decoding the basic clip, so the fact it didn't help is not at all surprising.

Additionally, other than the audio being demuxed which is advantageous, the audio can become more complex and larger depending on user timeline audio setting when using Render Preview.

Jeff
Steve1967 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I can't imagine any system skipping like that with an HD clip, nevermind a brand new one. I also don't know what might be happening when a pre-rendered preview can't be played back fluidly.

Just for fun, can you run the DxDiag test and attach the results as shown here?

Thanks again. Here is the dxdiag file. Also attached is a screen grab of the issue with the task manager running showing the load. This clip was just dropped in the timeline and not pre-rendered.
 Filename
DxDiag 3-19-23.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dxdiag file
 Filesize
124 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
99 time(s)
 Filename
PD 3-19-23.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
vid w task mgr
 Filesize
34189 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
56 time(s)
Steve1967 [Avatar]
[Post New]

In this case, since they just have a clip with no editing mods in the timeline to decode and apply, any form of Render Preview will make the clip larger and more complex to decode and playback.

Basic clip for NTSC timeline, 1920x1080, 4.79Mbps

For Render Preview:
Full HD Preview, 1920x1080, ~20Mbps
HD Preview, 1280x720, ~20Mbps
High Preview, 640x360, ~8Mbps

The timeline decode bitrate requires more computation for Render Preview at any preview quality setting and all are more demanding than decoding the basic clip, so the fact it didn't help is not at all surprising.

Additionally, other than the audio being demuxed which is advantageous, the audio can become more complex and larger depending on user timeline audio setting when using Render Preview.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I created a quick little clip with a few additional items in the timeline. Here it is, and I'd say the impact is even greater. I ran this with and without render preview without any noticeable difference. Task manager load maxed at 22%.

Apologies for being new to this forum. Is it acceptable here to post an actual file to see if others can replicate the issue?
 Filename
Intro 3-19-23.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Skipping w timeline edits included 3-19-23
 Filesize
5253 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
86 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Jeff. I created a quick little clip with a few additional items in the timeline. Here it is, and I'd say the impact is even greater. I ran this with and without render preview without any noticeable difference. Task manager load maxed at 22%.

Apologies for being new to this forum. Is it acceptable here to post an actual file to see if others can replicate the issue?

Forum guidelines are here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18337.page

I'd stay as far away from Render Preview as you can, it should not be a need on a platform as yours and often causes significant issues latter on in the editing/producing end of a real project. I was merely point out that if one had timeline fluidity issues with just a low-end clip in the timeline, using any form of Render Preview would not be expected to help. Likewise, I wouldn't expect your slight edited timeline to make much difference as something is basically amiss that you can't play back the basic low bitrate skateboard file on its own.

I’d probably update GPU driver to current (clean install, driver only) and then start looking at influence of your display resolution, PD preview quality settings, PD RGB vs YUV pref settings as a start. Your 10-15% CPU load for basic skateboard playback only on the timeline is very high on a i7-12700, especially if you have Hyper-Threading enabled regardless of how pref > Hardware Acceleration is set.

Jeff
Steve1967 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Forum guidelines are here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18337.page

I'd stay as far away from Render Preview as you can, it should not be a need on a platform as yours and often causes significant issues latter on in the editing/producing end of a real project. I was merely point out that if one had timeline fluidity issues with just a low-end clip in the timeline, using any form of Render Preview would not be expected to help. Likewise, I wouldn't expect your slight edited timeline to make much difference as something is basically amiss that you can't play back the basic low bitrate skateboard file on its own.

I’d probably update GPU driver to current (clean install, driver only) and then start looking at influence of your display resolution, PD preview quality settings, PD RGB vs YUV pref settings as a start. Your 10-15% CPU load for basic skateboard playback only on the timeline is very high on a i7-12700, especially if you have Hyper-Threading enabled regardless of how pref > Hardware Acceleration is set.

Jeff

Thanks again Jeff. I started hardware troubleshooting this morning and found that it works perfectly with an old 1080 monitor. It also works with the 1080 monitor and one of the 4K monitors, but fails if it is either one or both of just the 4Ks. I'll get to work on monitor drivers and settings and see where it goes. Appreciate all the help so far!
Steve1967 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, so I can produce and eliminate the failure at will now. Changing the timeline frame rate from 60 (default) to 30 or 24 eliminates the issue and permits both 4K monitors to work as expected. I still have problems with audio synching in other videos but I really don't know what frame rate they were shot at. Probably some more exploring to do with video where I know how it was shot and see how it reacts in PD.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ok, so I can produce and eliminate the failure at will now. Changing the timeline frame rate from 60 (default) to 30 or 24 eliminates the issue and permits both 4K monitors to work as expected. I still have problems with audio synching in other videos but I really don't know what frame rate they were shot at. Probably some more exploring to do with video where I know how it was shot and see how it reacts in PD.

Download and use MediaInfo or use the MediaInfo online https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline to get most pertinent details of a video stream.

Jeff
Steve1967 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Last post - this one is fully solved. My monitors frame rate is limited to 30hz when using HDMI connections. Changing to display port cables increases it to 70 hz and everything plays well at all frame rates now. Sheesh.....