Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
When editing , the Program "Greys out my screen - Freezes and then crashes"
kanzee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2023 11:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Working on editing a video for youtube channel...
and my new 365 CyberLink program will do well in the first hour of editing.
then suddenly , it will freeze up, and turn my screen Grey..
I have to hit the "x" button and
it will give me the options of
1) wait for program to respond....(I've waited up to 2 hours and nothing changes)
2) Close program (which I've done and I loose 1/2 of my work.)

Note:
a) My $2500 laptop computer is totally updated on programs, drivers, etc..
b) I have 5G internet
c) I've never experienced this issue with other video editing programs like :
Filmore Wondershare.
d) when I am editing, i will close all background programs ...and focus only on 365 Cyberlink.

Is there a fix , I can download , so the 365 , doesn't freeze up and crash , my whole
computer??
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Please see the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag report as that will contain valuable information about what's going on.

There's no need to wait more than about 10 seconds to see if PD will recover. If it takes longer than that, kill it with Task Manager if you don't see the "X" button.

If you have auto save enabled (which should be the default), you can open the most recent version and possibly only lose the last couple minutes of editing. See this related discussion for more info.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Working on editing a video for youtube channel...
and my new 365 CyberLink program will do well in the first hour of editing.
then suddenly , it will freeze up, and turn my screen Grey..

Is there a fix , I can download , so the 365 , doesn't freeze up and crash , my whole
computer??

It is possible that you could use a temp monitoring program like HW Monitor to see if the components are heating up in about an hour. A Laptop cooler may help extend the time for editing if heat is the cause.

EDIT: optodata answered first. The autosave optodata mentioned would help immensely.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If your laptop is truly up to snuff, I'd probably try the opposite, turn autosave off and learn to manually save often and periodically save with a project ID number tacked on the end of the project name so you have your own recovery history. I've seen too many cases prior that autosave causes issues in large projects with complicated timelines and have not used it in years.

It appears even another user still found things more stable with it off in PD21, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17188.page#post_box_446202

Jeff