Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED
KTK63 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 27, 2017 23:17 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I recently did the update on PowerDirector 365.
Now I get the "ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED" message on the program splash screen but what's worse is when I start a project and add a video to the timeline, it automatically hightlights the "EDIT" tab and wants to show me tips and new features but the popup window has "ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED" and locks-up (freezes) the program making it unusable.
I can't even close the program without having to "end the process" through the task manager.
This is extremely frustrating. There was never an issue before.

I've tried:
  • Turning off the firewall
  • Turning off my Kaspersky
  • Running SFC/ScanNow
  • Emptying Cache

Any other suggestions would be helpful.
I have a service ticket in with Cyberlink about it but have not heard back from them.
KTK63 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I recently did the update on PowerDirector 365.
Now I get the "ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED" message on the program splash screen but what's worse is when I start a project and add a video to the timeline, it automatically hightlights the "EDIT" tab and wants to show me tips and new features but the popup window has "ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED" and locks-up (freezes) the program making it unusable.
I can't even close the program without having to "end the process" through the task manager.
This is extremely frustrating. There was never an issue before.

I've tried:
  • Turning off the firewall
  • Turning off my Kaspersky
  • Running SFC/ScanNow
  • Emptying Cache

Any other suggestions would be helpful.
I have a service ticket in with Cyberlink about it but have not heard back from them.

Hmmm… can't reach this page

It looks like the webpage at https://liveupdate.cyberlink.com/b/b/r?TOKEN=340497be045f3c3fca932853d43d8d0b4ea4ed81d9a61432760a3eb33039d8413025cL52033819731204f48e5a6cc7bafbfb206799&PRODUCTNAME=PowerDirector&PRODUCTVERSION=21.0&VERSIONTYPE=Subscription&CHANNEL=iSales&LANGUAGE=ENU&OSREGION=0xf4&SYSTEMLOCALE=0x0409&BUILDNO=2708&VENDORNAME=2581&DEVICE=&BBProductId=4&BBProdVerId=1758&BBnLangId=1&APREGID=c7e15e538de1cdf3f862bc9506d82cb9&SRTYPE=Retail&AB=0&DAY_LEFT=0&FIRSTLAUNCHDATE=2023/03/16&GLOBALEXPID=174239&CDKey=&SR=VDE221124-03&PATTERNID=6203866&BB_ID=112982&TypeId=4&Patch=0&Ca=Bubble_FeatureRegrouping&UUID=S-1-5-21-2854893548-756381345-736848057-1003-03B8DC2F-0AD2-4293-A340-4EEC5AE83C3C might be having issues, or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Hmmm… can't reach this page
It looks like the webpage at https://liveupdate.cyberlink.com/b/b/r?TOKEN=340497be045f3c3fca932853d43d8d0b4ea4ed81d9a61432760a3eb33039d8413025cL52033819731204f48e5a6cc7bafbfb206799&PRODUCTNAME=PowerDirector&PRODUCTVERSION=21.0&VERSIONTYPE=Subscription&CHANNEL=iSales&LANGUAGE=ENU&OSREGION=0xf4&SYSTEMLOCALE=0x0409&BUILDNO=2708&VENDORNAME=2581&DEVICE=&BBProductId=4&BBProdVerId=1758&BBnLangId=1&APREGID=c7e15e538de1cdf3f862bc9506d82cb9&SRTYPE=Retail&AB=0&DAY_LEFT=0&FIRSTLAUNCHDATE=2023/03/16&GLOBALEXPID=174239&CDKey=&SR=VDE221124-03&PATTERNID=6203866&BB_ID=112982&TypeId=4&Patch=0&Ca=Bubble_FeatureRegrouping&UUID=S-1-5-21-2854893548-756381345-736848057-1003-03B8DC2F-0AD2-4293-A340-4EEC5AE83C3C might be having issues, or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED

Hi,
Just following the link works for me - returns this animation page

So looks like something local to your setup/internet? Maybe others can check their access to the link?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - Feature find.png]
 Filename
Feature find.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2023 15:03

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I also have no trouble viewing that webpage. Try using a different browser or with a VPN. You might also need to change your router's DNS settings, and maybe even check your HOSTS file and antivirus/firewall settings to make sure the site hasn't been blacklisted. Google for more info on these suggestions as needed.
KTK63 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,
Just following the link works for me - returns this animation page

So looks like something local to your setup/internet? Maybe others can check their access to the link?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you.

Yes, the link works for me as well if I click it or paste it into a browser.
However, whatever system PD uses to access the internet from within the application for informational popups is not connecting to the internet and then consequently feezes up the software requiring the entire application to be ended via Task Manager.

IMAGE:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ozLP0rqkgHjOrZigpcr6GP8Bw__jpOsH/view?usp=share_link

This image shows the point at which the program freezes and becomes unusable.

On a side note.....this has never been an issue until the last software update....and I don't have time to figure it out to make it work as it should again as I have deadlines.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to reinstall the previous version??

Thank you in advance.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 17. 2023 15:41

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately PD has ancient code that requires Internet Explorer to operate, and many, many people have had problems like this over the years. I don't know why the problem cropped up for you after the most recent update, but you may have to wait unti tech support responds to get this resolved.

Again, try the list of things I mentioned, or install it on another computer for the time being if you have access to one. Otherwise, you might find the last portion of this discussion helpful.
KTK63 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Unfortunately PD has ancient code that requires Internet Explorer to operate, and many, many people have had problems like this over the years. I don't know why the problem cropped up for you after the most recent update, but you may have to wait unti tech support responds to get this resolved.

Again, try the list of things I mentioned, or install it on another computer for the time being if you have access to one. Otherwise, you might find the last portion of this discussion helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you,
The discussion link you provided confirmed my suspisions, that it was an Internet Explorer thing.
PD uses IE protocol to access the internet.
So I went into Edge and added the website as a "legacy" site and now PowerDirector is working again.
But for how long as this is only a 30 day temporary fix as can be seen on my screen grab below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GvunaqCSbluyBr_9Del7HteHQYSzXeN9/view?usp=sharing

Thank you again and I hope this helps others who may have the same issue.

On a side note.....it would be great to know where a safe version of Internet Explorer can be downloaded and installed to prevent this issue from happening again.
Either that, or Cyberlink should get with the program and update their coding.

Again, thank you!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2023 16:10

optodata
[Post New]
I'm glad that helped

Again, I have no idea why you suddenly encountered that error, or whether or not you're going to need to re-add Cyberlink as a legacy site every month going forward. Most people (including me) rarely, if ever, see connection issues like that, but your steps and screenshot should help other people if they find themselves facing this issue.
KTK63 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm glad that helped

Again, I have no idea why you suddenly encountered that error, or whether or not you're going to need to re-add Cyberlink as a legacy site every month going forward. Most people (including me) rarely, if ever, see connection issues like that, but your steps and screenshot should help other people if they find themselves facing this issue.

Well.....................I spoke too soon. I worked for a moment but back to the same old freezing up.....
I may just have to bite the bullet and go with Adobe.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you.

Yes, the link works for me as well if I click it or paste it into a browser.
However, whatever system PD uses to access the internet from within the application for informational popups is not connecting to the internet and then consequently feezes up the software requiring the entire application to be ended via Task Manager.

IMAGE:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ozLP0rqkgHjOrZigpcr6GP8Bw__jpOsH/view?usp=share_link

This image shows the point at which the program freezes and becomes unusable.

On a side note.....this has never been an issue until the last software update....and I don't have time to figure it out to make it work as it should again as I have deadlines.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to reinstall the previous version??

Thank you in advance.

Hi,
No easy way to re-install the previous version (assuming you are on the 365 subscription, is that correct?) Only CL support can assist you with that, I'm afraid.

I believe that those pop-ups are probably controlled by msedgewebview2.exe.
On my system it is found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView\Application\110.0.1587.69.

It is a process for embedding web technologies in programs and relies on MS Edge for it's proper functioning, as far as I am aware.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/

That's about as far as my expertise goes, so....... unless anyone else has more info?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
For Windows 10 users the answer can be very simple. See the second thread in this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77994.page#319533 . Internet Explorer must be enabled and working although the default browser used can be anything like Edge or Chrome.