Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating a reveal...
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2014 17:29 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Hopefully this is ok to ask on the forum....

See when I am trying to create a reveal of a subject from behind an obstacle....for instance revealing a castle from behind a big boulder, what should I be doing with the focus?

Should the focus be locked onto the subject being revealed and the obstacle out of focus?

Should I try and perform a focus pull from obstacle to castle?

Anything in the editing that can help the sequence?

Im just starting out so this is maybe a daft Q.....but if you dont ask!!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 04. 2023 21:55

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hopefully this is ok to ask on the forum....

See when I am trying to create a reveal of a subject from behind an obstacle....for instance revealing a castle from behind a big boulder, what should I be doing with the focus?

Should the focus be locked onto the subject being revealed and the obstacle out of focus?

Should I try and perform a focus pull from obstacle to castle?

Anything in the editing that can help the sequence?

Im just starting out so this is maybe a daft Q.....but if you dont ask!!!!

Hi,

I think it's more a question of creative intent than a fixed technique.

A POV shot, say a soldier approaching a boulder, would probably be best with the boulder in focus, then, as the castle is revealed, a slow focus pull to bring the castle into focus. Or for more dramatic effect, with an audio bed to match, a sharp focus pull.......... etc

For a more dreamy scene, scan the horizon in focus, keep the focus on the horizon and leave the foreground blurred whilst the castle is revealed in all its glory................... etc

Focus pulls are not so easy to implement well, depending on camera rigs, but with practise and rehearsal it'll work.

If a focus pull is required but can't be done in camera, you might shoot 2 scenes, one foreground sharp, the other background sharp and then blend the 2 for a final sequence. Again the creative use of transitions, fades, opacity will influence the final look and feel.

Other folk might have some further techniques or ideas?

Cheers
Power Director Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2014 17:29 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply,

I understand what you are saying....I am now going to think up some scenarios similair to what you suggested and go practice!!!!

Im really enjoying this, even tho im not very good!!!!