Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
WARNING TO VISTA USERS
Zach [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2007 11:41 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Do not accept the free Power2Go software. Power2Go was offered to me "free" because I purchased and installed PowerDVD. After installing Power2Go, I discovered that it's not very useful at all, since you have to immediately upgrade it spending even more money for any worthwhile feature.

Since I have enough of these CD/DVD burning programs already, I attempted to UNinstall Power2Go. Upon the start of the removal process, a box comes on that says "Terminating. This software designed for use only with Windows XP."

You're probably asking yourself, 'so how did he INSTALL it?' That is a great question. I had no problems installing it, but now I can't FORCE it out of my system and to make this even more interesting, even Hewlett Packard has no idea how to get irid of it! After screwing around in system registries, program files, etc, it is here to stay. I even tried a system restore at no avail.

If anyone has any idea how to uninstall this program I would be all ears... and VERY appreciative.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I'm just checking up on this and see if I can get something posted for you Zach.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2007 09:45 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
If you'll really that desperate to get rid of the Power2Go program stuck on your h/drive then make a backup of your most wanted porgram files onto another external h/drive or DVD/CD then FORMAT the whole hard drive!!! It'll take some time to do but it's only solution if your that desperate. Hope i've helped in some way as i'm new here!
Brian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 28, 2007 11:17 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Should you get to the point of reformatting your hard drive, you should seriously consider getting some disk imaging software. Something like Ghost allows you to make a complete image of a clean install, and then restore that image at will (or need). Given a complete disk image, this means you restore a bootable running system which is as fast to install as your current system restore disk. That can save a couple of days of reload and configure work.

Your mileage may vary, but these "clean install plus trusted software images" have saved me a ton of grief over the last few O/S upgrades. There’s always one or more programs that screw up a new O/S. I’m not suggesting malice on anybody’s part; that’s just the way it goes

Good luck to you,

Brian
TinyBoy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2007 13:44 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the information!
I did download the same package but just stored it on my Vista machine. I try to not install every package offered at once, and especialy not on Vista as that package is not mature yet.
You mention that running the HP disks did not help, and I find that a bit disturbing as if I am not wrong about it, they are meant to clean and reinstall the entire system as clean as when you first started your computer.
(I think that you didn't get the original Vista DVD with the computer.)

So, I have to ask you what has really happen, do you think? :
If you haven't made any breakpoints to restore to you can't go back to an earlier stage even if you try.
For future security are any good software that can make an image of the disk(s) in your system very sensible.
Several uninstall packages (for Vista) may be able to remove unwanted software more or less completely. A scanning for remains in the registry are also a sensible task to get done. 'General' Geek:
If it work don't repair it! If it don't exist make it!
What I don't know, may be written down some place.
DAB radio= Damn Audio Bluff radio
Paul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2008 13:39 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Since I have enough of these CD/DVD burning programs already, I attempted to UNinstall Power2Go. Upon the start of the removal process, a box comes on that says "Terminating. This software designed for use only with Windows XP."

I have read this too late. Exactly the same thing has happened to me and I am shocked that no answer has been posted by CyberLink about this.
Aisha [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2008 11:51 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have been struggling with the same problem - I haven't even used the product but tried to delete it because I can't shut down due to a pop-up window everytime to advertise an upgrade. I wish CyberLink had posted a warning that the "gift" was not applicable to anyone with Vista. I am also disappointed that Acer allowed them to promote the product on my new laptop. Is there nothing short of reformatting my whole computer that I can do to get rid of this huge annoyance?! Help!!!
Paul [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I have been struggling with the same problem - I haven't even used the product but tried to delete it because I can't shut down due to a pop-up window everytime to advertise an upgrade. I wish CyberLink had posted a warning that the "gift" was not applicable to anyone with Vista. I am also disappointed that Acer allowed them to promote the product on my new laptop. Is there nothing short of reformatting my whole computer that I can do to get rid of this huge annoyance?! Help!!!

Although I am as annoyed as you, in fairness the product does actually work under Vista.

Not that this makes up for the shoddy problems that have been caused or the total seeming lack of caring by Cyberlink though.
Aisha [Avatar]
[Post New]
Do you know if there's any way to at least get rid of the pop-up ad that appears everytime I try to shut down?
Paul [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Aisha

Sorry, I have no idea how to remove the advert.

The program isn't that bad, but it really annoys me that I can't uninstall it. I have tried a system restore and in safe mode but nothing will work.

To make me even more mad, I sent an email to Cyberlink support and they haven't even bothered to reply!
Aisha [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just received a prompt reply from Cyberlink tech support. They explained that there is no upgrade available to change the free version to Vista, so you would need to buy a newer version if you like the program.

They also gave instructions for a different way to try to remove the XP version 4 of the program using a Windows unistallation utility - I haven't tried it yet, but here it is:

NOTE : In order to uninstall the Power2Go software, please visit the link given below to download the Windows un-installation utility :

msicuu2.exe

Please install it and execute from "Start\all programs\WindowsInstaller Cleanup" To check if Power2Go is on product list, If you can see Power2Go in product list. Select Power2Go and click "Remove" button to clean up Power2Go.

Paul [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
NOTE : In order to uninstall the Power2Go software, please visit the link given below to download the Windows un-installation utility :

msicuu2.exe

Please install it and execute from "Start\all programs\WindowsInstaller Cleanup" To check if Power2Go is on product list, If you can see Power2Go in product list. Select Power2Go and click "Remove" button to clean up Power2Go.

Have you got the link Aisha?
Aisha [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the URL that should take you directly to the utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Aisha [Avatar]
[Post New]
I still haven't tried it yet, but just having read the cautions at the top of the page, I may hold off for now!
Paul [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I still haven't tried it yet, but just having read the cautions at the top of the page, I may hold off for now!

In for a penny, in for a pound! I have now downloaded it and when I get back home later will give it a go.

I'll let you know if it works.

Wish me good luck
Paul [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bad news Aisha (and anybody else that is following this thread), it doesn't work.

To be honest I had my suspicions as the MS site mentioned .msi apps and the Cyberlink product was an .exe file.

In short, the MS application installed OK but Power2Go didn't show up as an installed program in the list that followed.

Surely somebody from Cyberlink is monitoring this forum? If so, please post with some suggestions as I am seriously fed up now and wouldn't recommended your products to anybody at this rate.
chopper [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2008 21:04 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Paul,

Would you help to provide version and SR number of P2G?
These information could be found on the about dialog.
Thanks.
Paul [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Paul,

Would you help to provide version and SR number of P2G?
These information could be found on the about dialog.
Thanks.

I'd love to be able to help, but I have now formatted my PC - not just because of P2G, other reasons too.

If it is any help at all, the version that came preinstalled with my new Vista PC is 5.6.5417 and the SR is P2G070717.01 and this will uninstall with no problem at all. The 'upgrade' was made available by means of a 'pop up' and it was presumably a later version than the one I have. Hopefully Aisha or someone else can give you details of their problem installation.

If I get the 'pop up' again I will have a look to see which version is on offer and post back here. I have no intention however of actually installing the darned thing!
Nic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 23, 2009 14:44 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Guess what? the Windows uninstaller doesn't work on Windows 7 RC1. Now what?