Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
BSOD with Kernel Mode Heap Corruption Error
WSC3 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 23, 2013 16:29 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using PD for years without incident and been very impressed with its ease of use, functionality, and stability. I bought a new PC in 2021 and have made two movies on this system without incident. I began to add transition effects to my current video yesterday and experienced several blue screens of death with the “Kernel Mode Heap Corruption” error displayed. I have to admit, I haven’t seen a BSOD in a time-span measured in years. I was almost traumatized as memories of Windows 95 flashed through my mind.

I am a power user with dozens of apps and programs that I use regularly, including PD16. My system has plenty of resources and power. I'm running W10. As I inserted transitions into the timeline, every three or four times my system would (gasp!) crash with this error message. Obviously, something has changed. PD is set to check for updates, so I assume I'm current even though I couldn’t find a help option with the version listed. My drivers seem to all be up to date.

So, I need a fix and of course one that won’t affect my other programs on my system which all run perfectly. I will attach a DxDiag for more information. I see in my search of the CyberLink community that others have seen this error as well. The resolution appears to be system specific.

Let me know if I left out any details.

Thanks.

WSC3
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
System DxDiag file
 Filesize
144 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
110 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have been using PD for years without incident and been very impressed with its ease of use, functionality, and stability. I bought a new PC in 2021 and have made two movies on this system without incident. I began to add transition effects to my current video yesterday and experienced several blue screens of death with the “Kernel Mode Heap Corruption” error displayed. I have to admit, I haven’t seen a BSOD in a time-span measured in years. I was almost traumatized as memories of Windows 95 flashed through my mind.

I am a power user with dozens of apps and programs that I use regularly, including PD16. My system has plenty of resources and power. I'm running W10. As I inserted transitions into the timeline, every three or four times my system would (gasp!) crash with this error message. Obviously, something has changed. PD is set to check for updates, so I assume I'm current even though I couldn’t find a help option with the version listed. My drivers seem to all be up to date.

So, I need a fix and of course one that won’t affect my other programs on my system which all run perfectly. I will attach a DxDiag for more information. I see in my search of the CyberLink community that others have seen this error as well. The resolution appears to be system specific.

Let me know if I left out any details.

Thanks.

WSC3

Hi,

6 out of the 8 WER are almost identical :

+++ WER8 +++:
Fault bucket 0x13a_11_NvLH_nvlddmkm!CMemoryAllocator::freeMemoryWithTag, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
Cab Id: c8825f1f-b782-42f9-b731-b784afe8b632
Problem signature:
P1: 13a
P2: 11
P3: ffffe004bd002100
P4: ffffe004e69738b0
P5: 0
P6: 10_0_19045
P7: 0_0
P8: 768_1
P9:
P10:

The other 2 are Dell related.

A search around finds things like this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-crash-related-to-nvlddmkm-process/cac0f5ad-cd7d-4460-9410-47419755e6d2
https://www.makeuseof.com/easy-ways-fix-nvlddmkm-sys-error-in-windows-10/
https://windowsreport.com/fix-video-tdr-failure/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-nvlddmkmsys-crash/bce55e83-fc4b-438c-b610-8f7d197857cc

You might start by looking at your NVIDIA drivers, or you might do a uninstall/reinstall of PDR16, but do check which version you are running and if you have the latest patch installed.

"Updates PowerDirector 16 to build 3424
Note: This patch is not for subscription version, OEM versions, UWP versions, volume license, or versions purchased via Steam.Adds support for enabling NVIDIA NVENC hardware acceleration with driver version 416 or above.** This update does not remove support for the NVIDIA NVENC hardware acceleration in the older VGA drivers."

Others may have alternative suggestions.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,

6 out of the 8 WER are almost identical :

+++ WER8 +++:
Fault bucket 0x13a_11_NvLH_nvlddmkm!CMemoryAllocator::freeMemoryWithTag, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
Cab Id: c8825f1f-b782-42f9-b731-b784afe8b632
Problem signature:
P1: 13a
P2: 11
P3: ffffe004bd002100
P4: ffffe004e69738b0
P5: 0
P6: 10_0_19045
P7: 0_0
P8: 768_1
P9:
P10:

The other 2 are Dell related.

A search around finds things like this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-crash-related-to-nvlddmkm-process/cac0f5ad-cd7d-4460-9410-47419755e6d2
https://www.makeuseof.com/easy-ways-fix-nvlddmkm-sys-error-in-windows-10/
https://windowsreport.com/fix-video-tdr-failure/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-nvlddmkmsys-crash/bce55e83-fc4b-438c-b610-8f7d197857cc

You might start by looking at your NVIDIA drivers, or you might do a uninstall/reinstall of PDR16, but do check which version you are running and if you have the latest patch installed.

"Updates PowerDirector 16 to build 3424
Note: This patch is not for subscription version, OEM versions, UWP versions, volume license, or versions purchased via Steam.Adds support for enabling NVIDIA NVENC hardware acceleration with driver version 416 or above.** This update does not remove support for the NVIDIA NVENC hardware acceleration in the older VGA drivers."

Others may have alternative suggestions.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks for the information.

What does it mean that “6 out of the 8 WER are almost identical”? I've never seen a BSOD on this machine. Can you translate this for me into layman’s terms? What does it mean that the BSOD is WER related? What addresses this problem? A video driver update may address the Dell issue as I understand it.

Also, where do I find the version of my PD16 software? There’s no “About” option that I can find. It is set to auto-update so I should be current. I bought a single copy when I installed it and have made 2 or 3 other movies without incident.

I tried to update the NVIDIA Studio driver from the GeForce Experience on my PC (I'm not a gamer), but the download part kept failing. Just the download. Failing! Again, feels like W95.

I downloaded what I thought was the right driver manually and it seems to be right but its name concerns me. (527.56-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-nsd-dch-whql.exe). Usually drivers say “English” or “USA” not international but that was the option (I specified US English) that I selected. Can I do damage if I install this? I generally have a “don’t fix it if it’s not broken” attitude with computers, and I can remember when drivers caused much heartache. I attached a screen shot.

It feels a little like we’re guessing here.
[Thumb - NVIDIA Studio Driver Download Options (2022-12-23).jpg]
 Filename
NVIDIA Studio Driver Download Options (2022-12-23).jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
231 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for the information.

What does it mean that “6 out of the 8 WER are almost identical”? I've never seen a BSOD on this machine. Can you translate this for me into layman’s terms? What does it mean that the BSOD is WER related? What addresses this problem? A video driver update may address the Dell issue as I understand it.

Also, where do I find the version of my PD16 software? There’s no “About” option that I can find. It is set to auto-update so I should be current. I bought a single copy when I installed it and have made 2 or 3 other movies without incident.

I tried to update the NVIDIA Studio driver from the GeForce Experience on my PC (I'm not a gamer), but the download part kept failing. Just the download. Failing! Again, feels like W95.

I downloaded what I thought was the right driver manually and it seems to be right but its name concerns me. (527.56-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-nsd-dch-whql.exe). Usually drivers say “English” or “USA” not international but that was the option (I specified US English) that I selected. Can I do damage if I install this? I generally have a “don’t fix it if it’s not broken” attitude with computers, and I can remember when drivers caused much heartache. I attached a screen shot.

It feels a little like we’re guessing here.

Hi,

WER=Windows Error Reporting
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/eb285b0b-3214-4c45-9b64-f2d58b9bbcdd/dxdiag-windows-error-reporting-diagnostics?forum=win10itprohardware

So 6 of the 8 WER at the end of your DxDiag were very similar/almost identical and referred to .......nvlddmkm........
The links provided show that such an error might be due to the causes listed and some solutions are outlined.

PDR16 version - Click on PowerDirector at the top right under the full screen/close buttons.

Dell are always a bit picky about updating drivers. Ideally, let their auto detect system suggest drivers, but the attached snip gives the latest critical video driver for your system perhaps??

Personally. I would uninstall PDR16 (assuming you have the original installation files), then I would update your video, or other drivers suggested by Dell, then reinstall PDR and update to the most recent version/patch.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - WSC3 Dell driver.png]
 Filename
WSC3 Dell driver.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
134 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2022 14:37

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Now that I'm past Christmas and part of tax season, I revisited my crash situation. I’ve updated all the requisite drivers but I still ended up with a BSOD. This time it occurred on the save function. The diagnostic looks different than the previous one but I'm not smart enough to interpret it.

What’s wrong with it now?

Thanks so much for your help.

WSC3
 Filename
DxDiag (2023-03-01).txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
145 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
77 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Please read this post and follow the instructions. The commands in the first step may do the trick, but you may not be able to do the clean installation of the latest nVidia driver (use this one, not the older one in the linked post) and that may limit your ability to solve the issue.
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Does this installation screen pop up when I double-click the new driver or it is somewhere on my system?

I have an Nvidia control panel but no mention of driver updates

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2023 15:36

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure which pop-up screen you're referring to, but after double-clicking on the installer you should get the UAC screen dim/confirmation message then you should see this box:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2023 16:07

WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry I wasn't clear.

"Get the latest nVidia driver for your GTX 970, but instead of doing a full installation go to the nVidia Installation Options page and chose Custom (Advanced). Next, select only the Graphics Driver and also check the Perform a clean installation box. This will force the installer to remove all existing drivers and then only (re)install the new graphics driver."

Does this menu noted above appear during the installation? I'm assuming yes. If not, where is this?
optodata
[Post New]
Yes these are the next screens you'll see when you run the nVidia installer:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2023 17:39

WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Perfect. That's what I needed to know.
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! This seemed to have worked perfectly. I’ve finished my current video without incident.

I don’t update drivers unless I have to, but when I do update my Nvidia ones again, do I need to follow this same procedure?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I don’t update drivers unless I have to, but when I do update my Nvidia ones again, do I need to follow this same procedure?

Removing the corrupt older driver seems to have cured the problem, and updating the current version will probably go smoothly next time. You will want to follow the same steps to avoid installing all the bloat that nVidia throws in, except you shouldn't need to check the final box to do a clean installation.