Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 12 crashes when importing edited & saved .mpg
Toaster Dementros [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 30, 2022 20:03 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

I can import an .mpg into my PowerDirector 12, edit it, and produce it as a "DVD HQ 720 x 480/60i (8 Mbps)" no problem.

However, when I try to import the new, edited .mpeg back into my PD 12, it crashes the program.

I'm VERY grateful for this program, don't get me wrong. It just irks me why my new, edited copy crashes the program.

My C drive's capacity is 911 GB. Only 241 GB is used, leaving 669 GB of free space. I am running on Windows 10 on an HP Pavilion.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance, and Thank you for this wonderful Forum.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2022 02:14

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
There could be many reasons for the issue. You may not have the Windows mpeg-2 codec not supplied with Windows 10. Get it free here: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/mpeg2-video-extension/9N95Q1ZZPMH4?hl=en-us&gl=us and install it. PD12 is 9 years old, created for Win 7, Vista, and xp. You may have the oem version. Some users have no problem using it and others can update it.
[Post New]
Quote There could be many reasons for the issue. You may not have the Windows mpeg-2 codec not supplied with Windows 10. Get it free here: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/mpeg2-video-extension/9N95Q1ZZPMH4?hl=en-us&gl=us and install it. PD12 is 9 years old, created for Win 7, Vista, and xp. You may have the oem version. Some users have no problem using it and others can update it.

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the app but unfortunately, the program keeps crahing when I try to import my edited and saved files.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
PD12 is very old and you have to be careful when updating drivers as the newest versions may not be compatible. Please follow the steps to generate and attach the DxDiag file as described in the Read Me Before Posting guide.
[Post New]
Quote PD12 is very old and you have to be careful when updating drivers as the newest versions may not be compatible. Please follow the steps to generate and attach the DxDiag file as described in the Read Me Before Posting guide.

Thank you very much for your reply. Here is the txt file:
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
79 time(s)
[Post New]
Quote PD12 is very old and you have to be careful when updating drivers as the newest versions may not be compatible. Please follow the steps to generate and attach the DxDiag file as described in the Read Me Before Posting guide.

Would this problem stop if I purchased an updated edition? Also, one of the files I want to work with is a 4.03 GB .mpg.

Feasibly speaking, should I have an easy go with this project with an updated program?

Thanks in advance.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Would this problem stop if I purchased an updated edition? Also, one of the files I want to work with is a 4.03 GB .mpg.

Feasibly speaking, should I have an easy go with this project with an updated program?

Thanks in advance.

I have no idea. You'll certainly be able to open the current project to continue working and you'll have many more producing options and features available to you, but I can't say for sure if that would solve the problems you're experiencing or not.

I say that mostly because it appears that you have some issues going on with Windows and also with a couple other programs you've installed, namely EZ Grabber and WinX_DVD_Ripper_Platinum. Problems with either of these programs might cause issues with PD and I suggest you uninstall both of them as the first diagnostic step. Make sure you reboot.

You may then want to reinstall PD12 (assuming you have the original installer CD). If you need a new copy, contact CL tech support as mentioned in the RMBP guide. Once that's done, make sure you update it to the final patch (build 4210) from here.

If that works, think carefully about whether you need the 2 removed apps and then make sure you have the latest versions before installing them.

If the crash still exists, try the steps in bold in this post to see if there's any damage to Windows core files that can be repaired.

Finally, I suggest you download and install what is likely the final driver for your Intel HD 4400 GPU from this page.

Let us know what you find!
[Post New]

I have no idea. You'll certainly be able to open the current project to continue working and you'll have many more producing options and features available to you, but I can't say for sure if that would solve the problems you're experiencing or not.

I say that mostly because it appears that you have some issues going on with Windows and also with a couple other programs you've installed, namely EZ Grabber and WinX_DVD_Ripper_Platinum. Problems with either of these programs might cause issues with PD and I suggest you uninstall both of them as the first diagnostic step. Make sure you reboot.

You may then want to reinstall PD12 (assuming you have the original installer CD). If you need a new copy, contact CL tech support as mentioned in the RMBP guide. Once that's done, make sure you update it to the final patch (build 4210) from here.

If that works, think carefully about whether you need the 2 removed apps and then make sure you have the latest versions before installing them.

If the crash still exists, try the steps in bold in this post to see if there's any damage to Windows core files that can be repaired.

Finally, I suggest you download and install what is likely the final driver for your Intel HD 4400 GPU from this page.

Let us know what you find!

I tried the latest free version of PowerDirector and no crash so may just purchase the PD21.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for posting the DxDiag.txt. You have installed the Diamond mm vc500 video capture device. This device works properly for many who are on Windows 10. Have you followed the instructions on troubleshooting on their website? Here is the link: https://www.dmmdownload.com/downloads/CURRENT/PVR/VC500%20Trouble%20Shooting.pdf .

This is a popular capture device that many contributors have and use. There is a fix for the ez grabber crashes. You should download a new fresh copy of PD12 free from their download link and install it. Apply the patch available to make it Win 10 compatible as stated. You can also set windows compatibility mode if needed for win 8. There are many things that you can do as most users are successful in using these software in windows 10.

Obviously, buying and using software made for Windows 10 is better, like your findings for PD21 trial version.
[Post New]
I'd like to sincerely Thank you guys for taking time out of your day to help me out.

In the end, I updated my PowerDirector to the current version and couldn't be happier.

Hopefully, this can serve as a lesson to others in the future that may find themselves in the same predicament.

Update your PowerDirector. It's well worth it!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'd like to sincerely Thank you guys for taking time out of your day to help me out.

In the end, I updated my PowerDirector to the current version and couldn't be happier.

Hopefully, this can serve as a lesson to others in the future that may find themselves in the same predicament.

Update your PowerDirector. It's well worth it!

Thank you. Did you mean that you applied the update for PD12 from the Diamondmm website or did you mean you upgraded or purchased PD21 ??
[Post New]

Thank you. Did you mean that you applied the update for PD12 from the Diamondmm website or did you mean you upgraded or purchased PD21 ??

I purchased PowerDirector 21