Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"PowerDVD cannot play this content because it is corrupted"
Laszlo1138 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 09, 2022 17:21 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello!

I can no longer play Bluray disks. Or sometimes (abuot 10% of the time) it will just barely play, but it will be very herky-jerky, playing for a helf second, pausing for a half second, the whole time thrashing the drive head back and forthforever (see attached video). DVDs play fine.

I know the several disks I've tried are not corrupted. I've also replaced the drive itself with another that I also know works. No change.

I know I was able to play bluerays on this PC a couple weeks ago. But today I cannot.

I was first seeing this issue with PowerDVD 18. It was also giving me messages from Cyberlink saying Win 10/11 users will no longer be able to play bluerays because windows no longer supports some CODEC, and if I wanted to fix that problem I had to purchase v22. So I purchased v22 just now...and it made no difference. Ouch! My $60!!! (this is rather upsetting)

Installed from: CyberLink_PowerDVD22_Ultra_DVD220509-01.exe
Patched with: PowerDVD_22.0.1915.62_Patch_DVD220614-03

Please find attached: "Screenshot 2022-11-27 161413.png" - error dialog receved about 90% of the time.
Please find attached: VID_20221127_160039.mp4 - cell video of the "herky-jerky" video/audio and "drive thrashing"
Please find attached: DxDiag.txt

Any advice, please? Thank you!

Laszlo

EDIT Incident resolved, so I'm removing DxDiag for privacy.
[Thumb - Screenshot 2022-11-27 161413.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2022-11-27 161413.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
 Filename
VID_20221127_160039.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32115 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
110 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 24. 2022 01:18

Forum Moderator [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2018 01:01 Messages: 578 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

This error is thrown by the disc drive and is DRM related. Best bet is to contact CyberLink Technical Support for assistance:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Cheers
PowerDVD Moderator Please direct any sales or technical issues to CyberLink's customer support team:

Sales or installation related issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do

Software technical issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/sup
Laszlo1138 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks very much.

I've submitted a request with tech support. I'll drop back by here when I have another update.

Laszlo
Laszlo1138 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks very much.

I've submitted a request with tech support. I'll drop back by here when I have another update.

Laszlo

(I previously posted an update that everything was working...then I rebooted...and the problem is back...so I've removed my update cry )

Laszlo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2022 23:33

Laszlo1138 [Avatar]
[Post New]
TLDR: For me, PowerDVD 18 and 22 do not work if Nero Ultra's BackItUp is installed. Uninstalling BackItUp and rebooting fixed it.

---

I contacted tech support.

They had me install several very dodgy applications on my PC and submit to them huge amounts of technical details about my PC, OS, and software.

Despite my reports of several times when I did see Blu-rays play, they decided to dismiss this information and they ultimately insisted, despite my protestations, that my problems were a hardware issue and my Blu-ray drives weren't able to do DMR and that I needed to contact technical support of the drive manufacturer. They also seemed to be giving me other advice that conflicted with other things I told them.

I thought of posting at least their most recent, rather dismissive reply, but it's very long, is nearly unreadable Engrish, and honestly I don't want to look at it again.

This experience with Cyberlink technical support has left me with a horible taste in my mouth and I just want it to go away. It was very frustrating, they were clearly wrong, and ultimately I was left to my own devices (didja see what I did there?).

While waiting for another reply from them I went ahead and took on the task of going through scores of applications hoping to find a conflict. Here's what I've sent to tech support. I only hope I wasn't premature again, and the issue doesn't crop back up.

After lots of trial and error installing and uninstalling many applications, I've learned the conflict is with "Nero BackItUp" that comes with Nero Ultra. I can reliably install BackItUp (and reboot) and cause PowerDVD to stop working, and uninstall BackItUp (and reboot) and make PowerDvd start working again.

Please inform the developers of PowerDVD of this so they can investigate the cause and defend against it happening either accidentally or maliciously. And please add this to the technical support notes so if others have this problem tech support will be able to help time.

Thanks, I guess, for insisting repeatedly that this was a hardware problem and my drives could not do DRM even though I told you repeatedly that I knew for a fact these my drives work fine and I had seen Blu-rays playing on this same hardware at several different times.

Better luck next time, I guess.

P.S. Based on my experience thus far, I have ZERO expectation they will actually relay this to developers so PowerDVD can be made more resiliant in the face of whatever BackItUp is doing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2022 04:05

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
It is surprising that you've found the program conflict is from a nero tool, and I believe it has taken you large amont of time to rule out all the possible causes on your PC.
But, I might consider this thing from a different perspective.
I won't just say the support is wrong if they suggested you check this concern with your BD drive vendor.
Who knows (may be God knows?) which the culpit is that caused this error on your PC?

For what you described, I would assume that nero backitup might have access to your BD drive at foreground or background that could break the playback process of BD movie in powerdvd.
And, I don't think cyberlink is responsible for the compatibility with nero's software as they are competitors for each other in some perspective.

In this case, it seems powerdvd does not corrupt nero backitup, but on the contrary nero does.
And, it is too early to tell which company made their program wrong as we are not the developers of cyberlink or nero's software.
So, neither do I have expectation they will "fix" this conflict.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2022 05:03

Laszlo1138 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It is surprising that you've found the program conflict is from a nero tool, and I believe it has taken you large amont of time to rule out all the possible causes on your PC.
But, I might consider this thing from a different perspective.
I won't just say the support is wrong if they suggested you check this concern with your BD drive vendor.
Who knows (may be God knows?) which the culpit is that caused this error on your PC?

For what you described, I would assume that nero backitup might have access to your BD drive at foreground or background that could break the playback process of BD movie in powerdvd.
And, I don't think cyberlink is responsible for the compatibility with nero's software as they are competitors for each other in some perspective.

In this case, it seems powerdvd does not corrupt nero backitup, but on the contrary nero does.
And, it is too early to tell which company made their program wrong as we are not the developers of cyberlink or nero's software.
So, neither do I have expectation they will "fix" this conflict.

Regarding whether cyberlink is responsible for compatibility with nero's software, if cyberlink the company wants their software to fail and their paying users to get shafted, then they'll ignore this issue. If they care about the quality of their software and whether it works despite nero being installed, they should proactively take responsiblity and do what they can to mitigate this issue.

Consider the use case where a competitor to cyberlink can determine how nero's BackItUp is able to make PowerDVD effectively useless for playin Blu-rays, and they build this into their own software as malware. Now in addition to the random chance case of some poor sap like me installing nero, you also have video entheusiasts who have installed other brands of media software which also cause PowerDVD to stop working.

I don't need, nor do I intend, to say this problem is the responsibility of cyberlink. But if they CAN better their application so reports like this stop happening (do a web search, that's a crap-ton of them), it might help with their bottom line in the long run, and it might help their customers not get the shaft.

I feel a responsible entiry should take responsibility and make the world a better place if they can.

Best wishes.