Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Odd behaviour /w WAV and video sound synchronization
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
In the attempt of producing a 'simple' holiday video from our last journey, I got following idea (concerning ONE clip):
It's a scene of a long walk through a channel ferry vessel until the steward asks for our tickets and we continue the walk up to our seats in the lounge.
To shorten it, I had the idea of increasing the video speed to 4x during the walking parts of that clip, but keep the steward's part at original speed.
step #1: divide the clip into 3 sections.
step #2: choose section 1 and make video speed 4x - via power tools - no prob.
step #3: do the same thing with section 3 - no prob either.
step #4: Now you have the video as intended, but section 1 and 3 without any sound (though only background voices) - so:
step #5: extract the sound from the original clip into a separate WAV file - via context menu on the clip icon within the clips window - should be no prob at all.
step #6: import the WAV file to the sound track.
step #7: try to synchronize the audible voice and sounds within the steward's part (section 2) - I chose the sound of the snapping tickets as being the loudest sound in this track for easier synchronization with the original video clip.

!!
And there is the odd thing: The speed of the WAV file isn't the same as the speed of the video sound! It's faster/shorter by remarkable degree!
For reproduction of any 'knowing' user I add the sourcefiles and the PDS file containing the respective scene (via export project) - so you should be able to see/hear, what I mean, after unpacking the RAR archive.
Curious to hear from you,
Michael.

P.S.: ok, the RAR file has 132megs - so no attachment here. - But just try it with any video clip of your own!
Michael.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
This may or may not help :-

I have had occasions when I have shortened a sound clip in the sound track by grabbing the right boundary and dragging it left to shorten it.

The clip is shortened, not by trimming but by speeding the track up. I have not explored it fully but I have demonstrated it to others and, if I recollect, sending a report to CL.

I can't recall the end result (if any) but I am now very careful when I adjust sound clips.

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Short of having the clips to play with its difficult to be exact.

here is something you can do however.
In the video timeline, mute or remove the sounds as you described above.

In the position in the movie where yoy want to hear the sound of the steward, place a clip of the steward andn you in conversation onto a PIP line thus

Video XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
PIP ______________ XXXX _____________

This should give you proper speech timing etc exactly where you want it.

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for Your suggestions,

@ Adrian: Unfortunately it's NOT what you describe, though I already HAVE encountered the effect of sound speed increasement instead of shortening the track at constant speed - though I don't know/remember how to produce this by intention.

@ Videocentricity:
Sounds a good workaround - though I will have to make the image of the PIP invisible - I'll have a try!

I have noticed that effect once before, when trying to "pull" the sound of a videoclip (speech in a room) into the next clip (an outdoor scene) - the WAV file sound was FASTER than the videoclip sound.

Maybe that could be somehow corrected in v9 of PDR?)

Michael.
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
pull the PIP down and to the left of the display area and/or resize it will effectively hide the image

Adjusting video speed is the cause of the problem, but you knew that. Thats why I say mute the clip where you need.

I did notmake that clear

Video XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
________sound___.___Muted__._____sound_____

PIP_______________ XXXXXXXX
____________________sound__

The audience hears what you want in the main video until the PIP clip takes over sound and video , then back to the main video again

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2010 15:25

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for clarifying - it works p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y !!
Instead of hiding the PIP image in some corner I tuned the transparency to 100% and voilá: no image, but sound - perfectly synchronous with the main film!
For easier alignment I set the video speed back to original speed in clip section 1, (getting the original length of the clip, moved the (un-sectioned) original clip into the PIP track.
Then I calculated a speed-up of section 1 of approximately 3:1 (giving "round" seconds of duration - for easier alignment with the PIP) and clipped the beginning of the (hidden) PIP track to the beginning of the resulting scene. - Perfect synchronization during clip section 2!

so it's now:

videotrack (muted) 111111111111111|2222222222222|333333333333
PIP sound (vid hidden): ppppppppppppppPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

whereas "1" is section 1 (speed 3:1), "2" is section 2 (original speed), "3" is section 3 (speed 3:1) - all muted,
"p" is clipped part of PIP-track (at speed 1:1 it would start earlier than the visible 'film'), and "P" audible PIP-sound.

Thanks for THAT great idea!

....though I'd preferred that Cyberlink fixes the WAV-file speed anomaly for PD9..... (grumblemumble...)

Michael.
Videocentricity
[Post New]
Glad we got a solution.

Regarding the CL grumble. There has to be a reason why you and everyone gets this 'bug'

I don't think is a bug per se, but something that happens during the process of video speed manipulation. If it was a simple bug, it would be fixed by now, and having worked with CL through other real bug-fixes I'm prepared to think its a 'feature'

Specifically, if you started with a clip with say two or three tones as the audio and now change the video speed to be
X1.5 X2 X2.5 X3 and also X0.75 X0.5 X0.3 etc so both fast and slow

What is heard in the clips ?

I admit I have not tried this to see and hear how it behaves.

Maybe some one with a musical ear out there might try this and report.

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Now,
as I understand, you are talking about sound distortion effects when changing the clip speed within the limits of 0.5 (slow-motion) and 2.0 (quick-motion (?)). The results here are partly funny, mostly unusable - especially at higher speed ratios. I think, that is why there is no sound at all beyond the limits of 0.5 and 2.0.

But...

I was talking about the following process:
Choose a video clip from your clip library (it does not necessarily be part of your video stream!) - right-click the icon in the library window - and choose the option "extract audio"
With that the original sound of the unmodified (!) clip is extracted into a WAV file.
If I do so, taking an arbitrary chosen clip - length (as to PD8): 0:02:11:01 - 2 minutes, 11 seconds, 1 frame.
Then I "extract audio" - getting the WAV file added to the library.
The length of the WAV file (as to PD8) is: 0:02:10.84 - 2 minutes, 10.84 (!) seconds - nothing about 11.04 seconds (which would be 11 seconds plus 1/25th of a second for the single frame).
It's got shortened from 131.04 to 130.84 seconds - resembling a speed-up from 100% to 99.84% - or a difference of 0.16% - without any obvious reason.
The WAV file therefore would be finished after 2 minutes, 10 seconds, 20.16 frames - instead of 2:11 and 1 frame.

And that's the bug!

Michael.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 14. 2010 14:52

Videocentricity
[Post New]
Now I want to ask, why extract to a wav file at all?. I think thats a mistake. When you use a video on the PIP line it obeys the frame by frame properties as the video timeline.

I can't fully explain it, but some years ago I recorded an mp3 using an audio recorder which writes to a ram disk, and had clapperboard marks at start and finish, so you would expect , matching clapperboard to the video image of the clapperboard, you would get sync, but it doesn't and the reason is that a wav mp3 recording, varies in time, with no proper timebase but as long as the audio track on the video stays together the sound is always in sync.

This wav problem sounds just the same.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2010 17:43

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Now I want to ask, why extract to a wav file at all?. I think thats a mistake. When you use a video on the PIP line it obeys the frame by frame properties as the video timeline.

I agree that sound of a video on the PIP line obeys the frame by frame properties - no question.
But why should Cyberlink implement a "mistake" as a feature of a program?!
I'm fond of extracting video sound to WAV files.
Following scene might - perhaps - clarify:
I've got the voice of a tourist guide on video. As I tried to take the shot unnoticed, I held the camera (mounted on a one-legged mount) "approximately" into the direction of the guide and to the objects he was explaining (archeaological excavations in a model) unfortunately I did not notice that I had left the camera zoom active during the whole 5-minute-scene (I never looked at the camera, as I didn't want the guide to notice).
So on the video track I've got things like the ellbow of the guide's pullover, once a part of his chin, then (when I meant to point to the excavation model) single letters from the text of a written explanation - and so on.
95% of the scene simply unusable.
But after that scene I went outside to take clips from the excavation itself - in free nature!
So I wanted to have the audio explanations of the guide audible, but showing the video from the outside takes!
Yes, the PIP-solution would work here, too, no question.
But technically much more simple was to extract the audio from the indoor-scene, mute the outdoor scenes and put the guide's audio to the audio-track.
It's even easier for PD to manage - when you lack RAM in your machine, as I did at that time (meanwhile I've got THAT changed, too).
But still: Why have PD work a video track PLUS a full PIP track PLUS putting the PIP video transparent?
A simple video track plus an audio track IS much easier!

Before PD offered this feature I went and had my video scene played by PD, recording the sound via Audacity software - but I had to take care, that no other "system sound" interfered.
THESE WAV files had the correct length - but were much more elaborate to achieve!
Thus, why I'm fond of the PD8 feature, which entered PD not until build 2508 - at least I cannot remember that I saw this menu item before - and I hope deeply, that they'll keep it for PD9 - maybe with the length bug corrected ;o)

Michael.
Videocentricity
[Post New]
Dafydd ought to read this and comment but the symptoms are the same as using mp3 audio tracks with clapperboard video. It doesnt work. And I'm betting it doesn't work in other non-linear editors either.

Thats why (inverse logic) the PIP track sound does work.

I don't know technically how sound gets onto DV video but there's a timebase somewhere and I dont think there is on wav or mp3 files.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Not at this time Ron. I don't have an answer for PD8 on this one. Adrian got me to confirm the problem he found.
I'll email you and Mike.

Dafydd