Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
**NEW** PDtoots Tutorial - First Project
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
PD8 Forum Members -

There's a new toot on the PDtoots YouTube channel, called PowerDirector First Project. It's aimed at video editors who are just starting out with PD & is Part 1 in a 2 part series.

PD First Project looks at setting up a project, importing clips & images, performing basic editing functions with splitting and removing sections, arranging elements within a project and building slideshows using PD's templates.

You can watch it on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/0/jXG2jDTHyKw

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 04. 2010 20:51

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony

Great tutorial - wish you did this 5 years ago when I first started with PD!

Look forward to part 2.

P.S. I didn't know you could crop video/photos to 16:9 with only a couple of clicks - learn something everyday! Shhh. Don't tell anyone... Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Whoever did this tutorial deserves a medal! It is not only well done, it is well planned and envisioned! To whom may attribution be given? One, or many? It is a must study for any beginner. There is no sense of impatience, hurrying to be finished or any patronizing attitude, just clear demonstration of function. As a rank beginner, and one who is about to go on vacation, I have gained ideas and confidence in being able to seamlessly integrate videos and slide shows in an interesting flow, with audio. I have never attempted this before. Thanks!

I can hardly wait for Part 2. I'll bet it will empower duffers like me to easily hit long balls, so to speak. There are many tutorials out there which make it possible for people like me to actually put to use such a powerful program as PD8, but this patient, practical, and basic tootorial is exceptionally helpful to engender in beginners a confident application of our best creative ideas. It is more like a cool breeze than a stormy sea. But, I fear that I am gushing, like oil on the sea floor (I live in Florida). I know I should cement and plug this well, but it is not easy to do under these circumstances. A mere "well done" or "Congratulations!" hardly seems enough. I just wanted to make sure you know your efforts are appreciated and successful. Don't forget to give us Part 2.

Bohn Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
[Post New]
Nicely done. Very helpful!

-bruce
Cameras: Sony HDR-XR500V, EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Computer: Intel i7-930, 12GB, ATI5770, WD HDs, Homebuilt ASUS/Antec/Corsair, Pioneer BD-203, Win 7 64-bit, Samsun SyncMaster P2570HD
Cyberlink PD8 Ultra
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Neil, Bohn & Bruce -

It's nice to get some positive feedback. If our toots help PD users over a hump or to further explore what PD can do, then we've had a measure of success. Your comments are very much appreciated.

PDtoots was formed at the beginning of 2010 with the intention of providing a warehouse for tutorials based on PD & related software. Our purpose is to respond to commonly put questions in CyberLink's forums (this one & DirectorZone). Each toot, though conceived & executed by one member of the team, goes through a healthy process of peer review before it goes "live"... & each of us has learned from that!

So - in answer to Bohn's question - if there's to be credit, it goes to the PDtoots team. In short, one of us does the "guts" of the work & the other team members contribute by review. I made this particular one & I can tell you that it went through a number of hefty editing stages!

PDtoots is Cranston, Captain Kevin & me, with welcome contributions by our colleague, vn800rider (Adrian).

Part 2 is in the making.

Cheers - Tony (for the PDtoots team)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Part 2 of PowerDirector First Project is now on PDtoots' YouTube channel.

PowerDirector First Project Part 2 builds on setting up a video project, revising the workflow for importing clips & images, performing basic editing functions. Part 2 focuses on formatting titles & adding music to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/0/ccSNU_Z7BRc

The 5 minute video produced from the processes in the tutorials (1/2) is @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yYlOK8IPsM

As a matter of interest (maybe), this 2 part tutorial was conceived, apart from many basic questions in forums, when a (non video editor) friend asked for help editing his holiday video. The clips & images used in the toot are his (and his wife's). The challenges that arose for him during that time determined the tutorial content. The 5 minute video is part of a larger project - close to an hour.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 08. 2010 12:45

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,
I've already mentioned this to Carsten. It's not a problem how or where you post or even when. Could you also post to: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7782.page
Members would find it a lot quicker and more often I think.
thanks

Dafydd
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

All I can say is YES!!!! You and your compadres have indeed made a contribution which, for me at least, has opened new vistas. If I ever put together a video worth watching, it will be because some of the shoulders I am standing on belongs to you and your friends in PD Toots. There are many in this community to whom I am indebted and who have caused me to suspect that a good video from me is possible, but, as Cyrano DeBergerac (sp?) might have said in a poem he composed during a sword fight, with this Toot, you have thrust home.

Thank you and Congratulations!

Bohn Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Another great PDToots tutorial. Well done

Where did you find the Korean calligraphy text? Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks very much for your hard work with these tutorials, they will certainly increase the use of PD and would have saved me some frustration with colour boards for instance. I actually searched the PD help for colour boards and could not find any help until I realised that the help section was written for America not the rest of the world.

This forum is one of the major reasons I feel PD is so far ahead of other video editing programs, keep it up folks it really makes a difference.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
ynotfish
[Post New]
Man - you must have had a magnifying glass on the screen, Neil!!!

http://www.fontspace.com/hijoju/korean-calligraphy - actually I think it's not very well named, but that's the font my mate wanted to use for his video titles.

Just for reference, another useful font site I use is http://www.searchfreefonts.com/categories/

Thank you for your kind words.

& Robert (we were posting at the same time) your appreciation is appreciated too. I agree with you absolutely. The forums are very supportive for members with all kinds of experience. Everyone does their bit.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 08. 2010 22:54

CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
Hi Tony

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the font sites.

As for the magnifying glass! Due to the Toots Team excellent rendering you can watch it in 720HD on Youtube FULLSCREEN Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel

RJR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 06, 2010 22:45 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony ...

Wonderful tutorials!!

Please, when you get the time, do one on creating a menu and chapter pages.

Purty Please...

Rob...