Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Project freezes at 99% when opening
DavidONeil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2010 11:17 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
When opening my project, the little opening window appears. It gets to the point where is says 'Project [99%]' for the little window's title, and "Update Timeline Data" is the text in the window, with the progress bar fully blue.

I recreated the project from scratch (yay! two more hours of work!). Same thing happens when I reopen the project.

This is the second project this has occurred with. The project is seven minutes long, with about 30 source files in it (some PNG files, some WMV files, and other types). I'm using PD8 on Win7-32.

I found this page but it so helpfully doesn't give a link to the AEFFMgr.dll file for download. Grrrrrr.

Any solution?

Thanks,
David

Edit - further searching indicates that you should have all of your files in the project directory. Is that REALLY true?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2010 13:06

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day David -

I guess you mean this page http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=2613

If that is what's causing the project not to open, you can download it here http://boomsbusiness.net/Program%20Files%20%28x86%29/Cyberlink/PowerDirector/

For PD to locate the files it needs for your project, they need to be stored on you PC, preferably with a short file path. Whilst project files don't need to be kept in a project folder, many users do this as part of their workflow. It's important that files aren't moved or renamed while the project is "under construction".

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
DavidONeil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Tony. Unfortunately, that file doesn't work. It causes PowerDirector to stop working when I open any project (including ones that did open previously). That may have something to do with the new build released a month or so ago, I don't know. (The old AEFFMgr.dll was 462 KB, the one you pointed me to was 394 KB.)

All of the files are on my C: drive. I haven't put all of them into the project directory (also in C), because I planned on reusing them in other projects. Next time I'll give it a try, but I hope there is a permanent solution to this problem that doesn't include that requirement.

Again, thanks!
David
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
David -

If your project files are on your C drive, that's not related to the problem of the project not opening. Even if you move or rename files, PD will ask you to browse for them.

What put you onto the AEFFMgr.dll idea anyway? Was it that FAQ page? Did you replace the original file?

Are you getting any kind of error message?

Cheers - Tony

PS. Mine's 462KB too...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2010 14:55

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
DavidONeil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, it was the FAQ page that pointed me that way. There are two FAQs on this topic that I found (1 and 2), and the second one indicated the path issue, although its wording was ambiguous, because it may have meant the original file path, not the project path.

Yes, I replaced the original file, but now I've gone back to the original.

Anyway, no, I am not getting any other errors -- just the symptoms indicated in the first post. I even left the computer alone once for about thirty minutes, to see if it would do anything, but no luck. The (PDHanuman?) server and main program processes were both at 0% at the end, and I had to shut them down using Task Manager.

Thanks,
David
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Try saving a blank project and reopen. If that works Ok, add one file at a time, save and reopen. That may help you determine at what point the problem starts. It could be a specific file or a combination of things that come together at that point.

Regarding Tony's suggestion, I have some files I use in every video, so i don't like to move them around. Sometimes I will open the project, import all files and then export the project. That makes copies of all files in one location. Then I can delete the whole folder when done and I still have my files in the original location where I can find them. Just another way of doing the same thing. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
DavidONeil [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, got a handle on it.

When trying to master all of this, so I could get my work done, I had installed ffdshow for some reason (or it got installed by one of the programs I downloaded). There are two solutions to this problem, unless Cyberlink creates another one.

First solution: uninstall ffdshow. In the programs, it was listed as "ffdshow [rev 3299][2010-03-03]".

Second solution (and this is slightly weird): open a new project and drag-n-drop a .wmv file onto it. It will give a ffdshow prompt. Answer it (I usually selected 'don't use ffdshow just this once)'. Then use the 'open project' folder, to open the project. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't, or so it seems.

I've uninstalled ffdshow, and I can now open the projects what gave me problems.

And yay! My first video is done! It is just an introduction to the science of our ancestors, and more vids are on the way, but if you want to check it out, it is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dcqa8Xkvgc.

Thanks for the help Tony and Jaime!

Best wishes,
David
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting. Normally I recommend people to install ffdshow. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have had conflicts with ffdshow and DivX before. It's not a PD issue, but after installing ffdshow Dr. DivX starting producing low quality videos. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM