Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director v6 crashes
Andrew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2007 10:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello again,
Noticed that crash happens even if you just put two clips on the same timeline without any trimming involved whatsoever. We can drop mpg's onto the timeline, but as soon as we try and trim, it crashes. This version is most frustrating.
Andy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,

Have you contacted Tech Support?

I have NOT had PD6 crash on me at all. The first thing you should do is Uninstall and re-install - follow the instructions attached. I would also look at the installation file and see if you've caused it to be corrupted.

Dafydd
 Filename
PD uninstall.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Uninstall - re-install
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
93 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2007 11:42

Leroy L [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2006 11:12 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I recently upgraded from PD4 to PD 6. I am quite disappointed with PD 6 beause it crashes every time I try to use it. I have tried opening and existing project and also creating a new project. In both cases PD 6 crashes.

I have completely uninstalled PD 6 per your instructions, including removing the reg keys, and re-installled it twice. It still crashes.

I finally uninstalled it and re-installed PD 4, which works just fine. I was able to open existing projects and I also created a new project and rendered it to DVD. Worked perfectly.

CyberLink has provided me with a new download of PD 6 Deluxe, but I am sceptical that it will work.

I am running Windows XP Home on a Sony Vaio with a 2.66 Ghz processor and 512 Mb of memory and lots of HD space. I've been using PD 4 for several years and have never had any problems with it. I only upgraded to PD 6 because it looked like it had some nice new features. My mistake.

Leroy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Leroy, I couldn't see a question.

PD6 latest build - go for it for goodness sake it has been released to rectify a number of minor problems which caused crashes.. I know because I spotted two of them!

I don't know why your computer is playing up. I have run PD6 on a smaller laptop without a problem - smaller CPU, less memory and a shared graphics card...using XPHome.

I have or will in a minute send you some specific instructions I want you to carry out - not a solution but some actions that will help both Tech Support and me...perhaps.

Dafydd
Leroy L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dayfdd,

I saw your instructions. Perhaps I was not specific enough in my description of my problem.

Using my newly installed PD 6 software, I attempted to open an existing slideshow....not a video. I rarely do video editing, but I do lots of slideshows from digital photos.

Anyway, I had an existing slideshow that I had been working on in PD 4. I attempted to open it in PD 6. The photos began loading into the library, but as the timeline began to load, PD crashed. I tried loading the project several times, with the same result at the same place.

I then launched PD and attempted to create a new project. I imported photos. No problem. I then tried to add panning to all the photos. The process ran for a while and then crashed.

At this point, I completely uninstalled PD 6 per your posted instructions, including removing the reg keys. I reinstalled PD 6 and repeated the steps above. First the existing project, then tried to create a new one. Same result as before PD 6 crashes.

I have since completely uninstalled PD 6 and installed PD 4. PD 4 works perfectly with my existing project that crashed PD 6 and I also created a new project and burned a DVD. PD 4 works perfectly. I have been using PD since version 3.0 and have never had any problems whatsoever with version 3.0 or 4.0. I have produced over 100 DVD slideshows and a few videos with both of these versions.

CyberLink has suggested a long list of steps to try. They suggest:

1. Empty the contents of c:\windows and c:\temp and the recycle bin.
I believe this is a bogus suggestion, unless PD6 works different than PD4.

2. Defrag the harddrive.
Another bogus suggestion, unless PD6 works different than PD4.

3. Reset display settings to 1024 x 768, color depth to 16bit and refresh rate to 60hz.

4. Increase virtual memory.

5. Make sure harddrive where PD 6 is installed has enough space.
Bogus again. How about - 300 Gb free space. is that enough?

6. Uninstall PD 6 and reinstall it and try again.
As I mentioned, I have already done that and it still doesn't work.

Let me add that I am not an amateur when it comes to PCs. I have been a programmer, instructor and am currently an applications engineer with a large law firm. I develope, and support firm software and support over 2000 windows xp desktops in the firm.

I will probably be asking CyberLink to refund my money, because I don't believe PD 6 is going to work for me.

Thanks for your suggestions, but none of what you asked me to do is related to my problem.

Leroy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Leroy,

Thank you for the extra information.

You were attempting to open a saved pds PD4 project file in PD6 correct?
PD6 then crashed. PD4 project files saved in one version are NOT necessarily open-able in another.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2007 08:58

Leroy L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Sure, I can accept that. I think it stinks, but hey Microsoft has been doing that for years.

What about the crashing when I try to create a new project? You didn't say anything about that.

Leroy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2007 09:47

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Leroy,

Backwards compatibility is a problem....systems and software move forwards.

You're right I didn't and i wasn't sure when you were getting this to happen. Immediately after you've had the crash after trying to open PD4 pds file or later after a re-boot.

Now I'm guessing and..it's Tech Support who should be inputting data to you on this. But the re-install route would be one I'd opt for here and perhaps by opening an older pds file it's caused a problem for/in the program. I am also wondering if the program you're using has been corrupted in the initial download - and that's also a reason why you've been offered an opportunity to re-download a program (albeit a more recent build).

I'm not getting you're problem with the crashes.... I have found two minor causes for a crash but neither would be caused by opening a new file/project.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2007 09:55

Hall47
Member Location: Manchester UK Joined: Dec 14, 2006 05:32 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
I've recently moved up to PD6 and as yet have no reson to request any technical support, but did comment previously about the consistency of responses from Tech Support - they all seemed to be the same irrespective of the the nature of the problem and always involved uninstall and re-install, de-fragging etc - so it looks like more of the same.

Good luck with your query - I'm finding that opening old PD5 projects is slow, but it does speed up once saved in 6. Seeking wisdom - finding fluff - but wise fluff!
Leroy L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hall,

Thanks for your response. Yes, that's typical Tech Support response. It keeps them from having to troubleshoot the real problem and keeps the user busy doing things that don't fix the problem. In the end, they are hoping the user with get discouraged and quit contacting them.

I've been in the IS business for over 40 years....everything from program development to desktop support so I'm very familiar with this tactic.

I have pretty much decided that I'm going to just keep using PD 4.0. Too bad, up to this point, I really liked PD and had hoped to take advantage of the new features in version 6.

It does sour me some on CyberLink in general and specifically PD. Too bad CyberLink doesn't have a better Tech Support group.

Leroy