Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Speed up the burn process
Bird [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 24, 2010 11:01 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
You guys are great! Yes, I did alot of editing to the video clips. I improved the lighting in some cases and added background music and threw in all the pips I could!! It border lines tacky video but I am learning how the effects and extras look. When I burned from a saved file, the time was like 15 minutes! But I do recall the production taking quite awhile. Will give it another go tomorrow.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bird -

As James said, you should expect some degradation of quality rendering from AVI to mpeg-2 DVD HQ, and particularly using SmartFit.

So - part of your original speed issue with burning was that PD was having to re-render the video from AVI to mpeg-2.

Speed of burning is affected by many things - the speed of your computer processor, the amount of available hard disk space, your graphics card, and the amount of RAM, the speed of your DVD burner, as well as the type of recordable DVD media you are using.

In general, some ways to fix a slow burning DVD drive:

1. Check to see if your CD/DVD burning hardware drivers are up to date. One option is to go to Device Manager and uninstall to drivers. When you reboot, Windows will reinstall the correct drivers.
2. Close all other open programs & your anti virus or firewall program.
3. Make sure there's enough free disk space. Defragment your hard drive(s)... that doesn't seem to be your issue.
4. Try using different software to burn your CDs and DVDs.
5. Use high quality discs

You seem to be working your way through it, anyway.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am now rendering (producing) my clips first before I will add my chapters and menu however the svrt is greyed out. What is that about?
I double checked my files and they were actually saved as mpeg files when I captured them. So is the mpeg2 the best format for saving them. As mentioned before, I want to transfer the 8 mm to dvd for TV viewing and posterity.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2010 18:22

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bird -

You're on the right track with mpeg-2. The video would be rendered to mpeg-2 anyway because you're burning to DVD.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
SVRT will not be active unless the video clips in the timeline are already in MPEG2 format (for a MPEG2 profile). When you get to create disk check to see if SVRT is available. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
You have been so helpfule James and have provided me with perfect answers to my questions.
CoolBruno [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 08, 2010 08:59 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting mine also takes 7 hours to burn. It is mpeg2 file that is 1.5 hours long. I have a 16x DVD burner and a very fast 64 bit 4 core computer running on Windows 64 bit. I have transitions, chapters, and menus plus I am using the fix/enhancing features.
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
hi Coolbruno,
It is very frustrating to have the burn take so long. It is sometimes after the burn that I discover something I want to change or fix. Ugh! You can "produce" the video first but the time will be long to produce. However, the burn will be quick, maybe 10-15 minutes.
My Adobe did background rendering which was great but it did create crash issues.
CoolBruno [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 08, 2010 08:59 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Actually it took ten hours and then the burned failed. So I unclick the NVIDIA cuda option, split the content into two projects, burned to a folder, and then burned using IMGBRN. Reduced time to two hours.
ckbasak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2010 07:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello! James

Thanks for your Information. I am also faceing same problem, I will try this solution. I have some question below:

1). If I make a DVD HQ, will it work with all standalone DVD Player? including 3 years old DVD player?

2). I am useing Dell Studio 1558 Laptop with Intel Core i3 processor, 3 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, ATI Mobelity Raedon HD5470 1GB graphics card, Windows 7 64 bit edition. Is this configuraion OK?

3). How I will make DivX video? Please guide, I am useing Power Director 8.00.2013.

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
ckbasak,

1. Your DVD should play. My DVD player is about three years old and I do not have problems. However, their is still the possibility of a compatibility error. I tried a DVD player which was over 5 years old and the quality was lower than my 3 year old player. I've read elsewhere that DVD+R disks are better than DVD-R disks but I've never tested this myself.

2. You should be fine using that laptop, but do not expect the same results of a full desktop PC. Your hard disk is rather small for video work so you may want to get a larger hard disk or an external drive for storing produced videos. This is especially true for high definition work and if you plan on using this computer for other applications as well since hard disk space will also be used for programs.

3. I don't produce DiviX videos so I can't help you much with that. You may have to download a DiviX codec from Divix directly. When you produce your video file their should be a DiviX profile you can select. Beyond that their is not much I can offer. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Guest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am also faceing same problem with fix/enhance. If enabled, it is taking 6 hours to produce a 25 min. MPEG2 file.
But without fix/enhance, 25 min. video is taking 20 min. to produce MPEG2 and 10 min. to write DVDHQ.
What may be the problem? I am useing PD 8.0.2704.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Anonymous,
Processing EVERY frame in a project will significantly increase the render times to achieve a finished video. Don't apply a fix to the whole project, localise and edit specific faults or enhancements to shorter clips and then bring those completed tasks/video files (which have been rendered) back into the Video tracks etc.

Dafydd