Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Speed up the burn process
Bird [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 24, 2010 11:01 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a way to speed up the burn process. On a 1 hour video it is taking over 10 hours to burn. My adobe premier never took that long however, it did use background rendering which expedited the process. Any suggestions?
I am currently using PD8 Ultra. My video is with chapters and menu. I am trying to burn using a straightforward 4.7 gb dvd. 4.3 display, using smart fit for quality with dolby 2 channel. My system is windows 7 64 bit, intel 2 duo cpu. New HP laptop.
In the first 1/2 hour of the burn it hits 25%, then slows down dramatically after that. Right now I am at 58% after 4 hours. Jeez.
By the way I have had a successful burn with this project and I have saved it to file however, I can't figure out how to open it. It was saved to Video_ts and Audio_ts. Perhpas it would be helpful to be able to open those files or maybe they are saved somewhere unbeknownst to me????
Please help!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I pre-produce each chapter before moving to create disc. Effects will also slow it down, especially if you choose to enhance the quality. I found my laptop to be considerably slower than my equivalent desktop. I don't know why that is.

I'm not sure what you mean by opening the video_ts. You should have no trouble viewing the files, and any dvd software, and most media players, will play the folder just like a dvd. Right-click on the folder and choose a program to play it. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
A one-hour production should NEVER take ten hours. I believe there is something wrong, perhaps we can help.
Can you provide a DXdiag for others to look at?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

See Part B. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hope this sheds light on the problem. The latest burn took almost 7 hours for a 1 hour video. Yes, I did use transitions, chapters, menus and all the fun stuff you can add! I am enclosing the attached dxdiag. you requested. I hope I am sending it correctly.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
555 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You sent it correctly.

Also, what are the properties of the clips? SD, HD, type?

Now, perhaps a certain deep-sea diving cranial maniac will put his 36,000 cents in.

Adrian? Are you topsides?

Well, someone will help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2010 14:27

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Adrian? Are you topsides?

No! = 10 cents , 35,990 cents to go

Cheers
Adrian

35,985 cents left

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2010 16:40

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you kindly. The clips were captured using Roxio from a 8mm camera and then imported into PD8. The clip properties are DV-avi. Audio = WAV file. Resolution = 720x480. These are old video tapes which I am transfering to dvd. Being a perfectionist and also a novice, I have started this project several times trying different software options and ususally ending up with a better finished produc along the wayt. That is the goal anyway but I can't sit through these endless burn sessions.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I suppose we should be grateful, Adrian usually spends all his cents, then needs to float a loan to get to the actual answer, usually correct. Grrrrrr.

Any SD quality clips should be child's play, even with integrated graphics.
Stay tuned, someone can speed this up. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Bow down (even further) I'm famous now
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article7106564.ece

I have no need to put my name here
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
10 hours sounds like an old single core processor speed. Does the screen saver come on at all during the process? On XP this never bothered my system, but in Vista it seems to interfere with any work in progress.

My next guess would be memory, but you seem to have that covered. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
It ended up taking 6 hours and 45 minutes to complete the burn. I do have a duo processor and as mentioned above, a new computer which was suppose to allow for all this video editing and producing. My Adobe Premier didn't take as long however the crash rate was high so I guess I will put up with PD and move on. Thanks.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I think something may be wrong with your video clip at the 25% mark. There is no good reason for it to slow down that much unless PD is having trouble at that spot or something is interfering with the production process. My old 2.5GHz dual core was about 4-5x faster than what your getting. Instead of burning your disk from the Create Disk tab, go to Produce and make your desired file. Have PD produce your file (DVD HQ I assume) and turn the preview on and watch what segment is slowing down the process at the 25% mark. I wonder if you have a corrupt video file or you had PD do something (fix/enhance or whatever) that is causing the problem. It's also possible that just preproducing in this manner may solve the problem since you are separating the process from create disk.

If you can create and MPEG2 file you can import that file into PD and setup your chapters/menu later. The actual burning process now will be reduced to minutes since most of the preproduction will be completed.

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will give that a try. I am wondering if the mpeg 2 format is preferred over a AVI file. I am concerned about quality as I am already starting with less than perfect video resolution.
I have a saved file folder, I will try and burn it and see what happens. Thanks. As I recall when I saved it to file, I thought it took an extremely long time. We'll see. thanks again.
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
This time, burning from a saved file, it is moving along quite swiftly. However, my chapters are no longer there.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Take the MPEG2 file you just made an drop it into the timeline. Split the video where the chapters start and give each chapter a name and thumbnail. Go to Create Disk and and setup the menu like you did before.

I assumed you were making a MPEG2 file since you were burning them to a DVD. If you want to watch your video on a regular DVD player than this is what you have to do. If you went directly to create disk for the purpose of creating a playable DVD than this is what PD was doing (rendering) for most of the 6+ hours.

I also noticed that you were using Smart Fit. Typically you can get about 1 hour of video on a regular DVD using DVDHQ. Personally, I avoid having to use smart fit since it often degrades the video quality more than DVDHQ.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 25. 2010 09:43

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just to make sure I have this right...If I produce first, the rendering and all is done then i.e. the time consuming part, rendering. However, if I go directly to burn disc, it has to render then which is why it takes so long. Which is better? It seems like overall, the process is lengthy regardless.
With this project, I am only interested in burning dvd's for viewing on a TV.
Thanks so much for clafifying.
James Dotson
[Post New]
Yes, going from DV to MPEG 2 will take some time to render. If you produce each clip as you go, when you create the disc PD will skip the parts that are already in MPEG 2 HQ to make a DVD. Basically, you are moving some of the work to the editing process so create is faster. You might try it with a smaller project and see if it helps. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James W
[Post New]
Bird,

Yes, you are correct. The project rendering is the time consuming process. The actual disk burning is limited by the speed of your DVD drive. When you use the method I mentioned, the only rendering you will have to do is for the menu. Make sure when you render your video first you select DVDHQ profile and that you use the same profile when you go to create disk. You should also double check to make sure SVRT is checked. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I still think something is a bit off.
Your laptop should SCREAM thru SD clips.
Did you add a lot of FIXES to your clips, i.e. stabilize, upscaling, lighting?
Even so, the time seems very long.
Stick with us, we have a bunch of smarties here, plus we have fun!
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Bird [Avatar]
[Post New]
You guys are great! Yes, I did alot of editing to the video clips. I improved the lighting in some cases and added background music and threw in all the pips I could!! It border lines tacky video but I am learning how the effects and extras look. When I burned from a saved file, the time was like 15 minutes! But I do recall the production taking quite awhile. Will give it another go tomorrow.