Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Not sure how to search for this- PD produces discontinous video
Tangle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2010 09:40 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys, I guess it goes without saying I'm a newbie here.

As I said in the title, I couldn't come up with search words to search for this, so if you can direct me to a previous thread I'd appreciate it, if not maybe you could shed some light on this:

I downloaded the free 30 day trial version of PD8 and I really like it. This morning I decided to try some of the enhancement features on a couple of video clips.

I trimmed each of two clips to the segments I wanted. That made each clip about 12 seconds long.

In Power Tools I clicked on Reverse Video for both clips, and in Fix/Enhance I clicked on Video Enhancement for both clips and the Lighting Adjustment for the second clip only.

In the edit window, everything seems to run fine. So I uploaded the 24 second project to YouTube. That went fine, but when I looked at the video, it had bad discontinuities in it and was jerky.

So I decided to conver the project to an MP2 file and watch that on Windows Media Player. Same thing happened. In a couple of spots the video actually jumps back a bit and then jumps back to it's original location and continues to play in a very sporatic manner.

I'm running PD8 on a 3.2GHz computer with 1G of RAM.

Could this just be the trial version? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tangle
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
Before you can get any help, you need to amend your profile to give yourself a name, otherwise the moderator has no option but to lock the post. Any name will do as long as it's not offensive or illegal.

I suspect your system is not up to the job but more details of source material and output as well as system specs will help answer the question.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the heads up on the name - I thought I did that. I came from the 'other' forum and I think got confused on the way over.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Can you post further details about your computer specs and video files. Information like the CPU model and video card are necessary. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz, 1Gb RAM
Diamond Radeon X1050 - Not sure how much memory it has

Oh, and this is SD video files.

I can understand why the type of processor etc. is important, but the puzzling thing (to me) is the video runs correctly in the PD preview window, which suggests the computer has the facilities to accommodate the video and enhancements.

The problem shows up in a 'produced' MP2 video file. The video from this file is erratic. Although, as I watch the MP2 being produced, I see the erratic motion in the produce preview window.

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Try this with another video clip and see what happens. Does it also happen if you try to produce to a different file format? Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Try this with another video clip and see what happens. Does it also happen if you try to produce to a different file format?

Hey, I thought I was supposed to ask the questions!

That's a good idea, I'll give some different clips a try, and when I uploaded directly to YouTube, it produced a .WMV file and it has approximately the same problems, but a different file format would sure be worth a try.

Thanks!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Tangle wrote -
In the edit window, everything seems to run fine. So I uploaded the 24 second project to YouTube. That went fine, but when I looked at the video, it had bad discontinuities in it and was jerky.
Hi Tangle,

Just 2 cents worth “on just” the Youtube issues portion of your post.
As you are probably aware, Youtube is constantly messing with it’s pages and player, which they just recently did again. And I have noticed in the last few weeks, that some of the videos I had previously and independently uploaded myself from my channel(s), (Produced to WMV HD Standard Quality), now have a weird slight stutter and jerkiness to them, where once they looked quite good on Youtube.
If I change the player from where it appears to default to 360p, to 720p, this seems to improve things a bit. (there are 3 playback choices, 360p – 480p – 720pHD, next to the volume tab/button below the player). Also switching to the larger player seems to help a bit.
But the older 4:3 uploads from 2 years ago, that once looked fine, are now almost unwatchable. Graphics or PIPs that once smoothly glided in from off screen to the center of the screen, are now just series of 15 to 20 stutter pauses instead of the once smooth glide to the center of the screen.

I have recently begun experimenting with the profile discovered by member vn800rider referenced here…
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9820.page
It does seem to cause some improvements in the stutter jerkiness playback issues that have recently begun occur on Youtube videos (that so many in the Youtube community are currently complaining about, owing to YT recently once again making changes to it’s player and page).

By the way, uploads I make to Vimeo, do not present these stutter jerk playbacks, when I upload the exact same media there.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks much Cranston.

I can understand the YouTube thing you describe, but the WMV file that was created by the project conversion which then uploads to YouTube has the same issues that I see on YouTube.

Also, when I produce a MP2 file, and watch that using Media Player, it also has the same issues.

Perhaps one or some combinations of enhancements cause unexpected anomalies in the conversions. When I do an upload, the upload time seems normal; when I produce a file the conversion time and the file size seems to be about right.

Or maybe there are some restrictions in the free trial version that are causing the problem. Interestingly enough, I did a video enhancement on another file and it did just fine on YouTube and in a MP2 file. But, I only did the video enhancement, ahhh that's not right either; on one segment I did an enhancement and a 2x speed up.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 22. 2010 08:07