Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Annoying green line in rendered movies - details found
[Post New]
Hi guys,

when I render a film (16:9) directly from AVCHD 1440/50i to DVD files, as a result I get an annoying green line at the very low bottom of some clips, mostly (or even only?) at those where video effects, especially slow motion, had been used.

But as it seems, when I first render my clips in MPEG2 as an intermediate step, I don't get the green lines.

Any ideas or experiences?

Regards,
Tom

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 16. 2010 09:46

PC: Intel Core2Duo E8600 2,66 GHz, 4 GB RAM
GPU: NVidia GeForce 8500 with 512 MB Video RAM
PowerDirector Version 8 build 3022
Cam: Panasonic HDC-SD100
elbraddo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2010 11:10 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Hey mate - I posted a similar thread last week...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10930.page

See my video - from 4:40 onwards. green line along bottom of screen. Appeared after I used the fix/enhance video denoise tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIUiXrIUf4

I appreciate you've found a fix - but surely rendering as MPEG2 reduces quality?

nevertheless I'm gonna have a crack at rendering just those scenes in my vid as MPEG2, and then re-addign them to video. Might work in my case, as they're low light scenes anyway, and video quality isn't the best.

Thanks for the tip!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 20. 2010 04:12

PD8, Build 2704.
i7 860 2.8 Ghz, 4G RAM,
Palit brand 9800GT GPU
Win7 - 64bit.
Camera: Panasonic HDC-TM10 - outputs mts files.
[Post New]
Hi elbraddo,

thanks a lot for your previous post, it confirms that the issue is obviously caused by the usage of various video enhancement or effect tools in PD 8.

About the MPEG2 step as a workaround, meanwhile I'm afraid it doesn't work any more with build 2704 anyway.
Why? Because I rendered the MPEG2 version prior to installing the update.
And confirming this, another user posted (in another German forum) that the green line issue occurs with all output formats meanwhile on all clips where video enhancements, like slow motion or maybe even others like denoising were applied

If that should be the truth, it means there is a real issue which most likely came up with one of the previous builds and should be resolved asap.

Regards,
Tom

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Apr 16. 2010 10:28

elbraddo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I might try'n used the previous 2508 (or whatever it was) update to re-render it then.

Might have to reinstall PD8?!? Advice - Anyone? PD8, Build 2704.
i7 860 2.8 Ghz, 4G RAM,
Palit brand 9800GT GPU
Win7 - 64bit.
[Post New]
Don't do it, you can skip that one.
From the other user mentioned I got replied that in build 2508 the issue was already present
He already tested it just a few hours ago.

It might be useful to start with an "initial" version and then slowly go through the builds, but that has something masochistic hasn't it?

I'd even go back to V7 to get rid off this stupid lines, but unfortunately then I'd also loose lot's of useful things I'm already taking for certain in V8.

Regards,
Tom

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2010 10:39

[Post New]
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Just done some additional tests:
When I use Video Speed, the green line doesn't appear.
But when I use Slow-Motion instead (or what ever the name is on an English system) it does.

Bad luck - good luck in that case
But still hard to cope with since Slow-Motion uses picture interpolation technology which smooths the motion.
So like this one is forced to use the choppy variant...

Regards,
Tom

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 16. 2010 16:11

elbraddo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Mate,

I think it has something to do with the mts files produced by Panasonic cams. Dafydd referred to this in the other thread. I use a Panasonic HDC-TM10.

I've come up with a work-around this morning. Since all the lowlight scenes were bunched together at the end of my video, I simply removed the fix/enhance effects, re-rendered that chunk of mts files as a High quality WMV file, and THEN re-applied the video denoise filter to the wmv file that was output. No green line anymore! I then reinserted this wmv file into my original video. Looks fine.

Of course, this "fix" might be a lot more hassle of you have used fix/enhance tools in all different portions of the video. Each file would need to be re-rendered as WMV before applying the fix (ie. the slow motion in your case), and then re-inserted into the video.

Then there'd be the issue of quality - I'm not sure whether rendering files as wmv, and then reinserting them into the video, results in quality loss. It's hard for me to tell since they were low light scenes to begin with.

Anyone?

Looky: Let me know if you manage to salvage your project by using this method! You probably wouldn't have to use WMV - you could render the files as any other format - as long as it isn't mts.

Cheers!

Brad

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Apr 17. 2010 13:45

PD8, Build 2704.
i7 860 2.8 Ghz, 4G RAM,
Palit brand 9800GT GPU
Win7 - 64bit.
[Post New]
there are at least two support tickets on the way dealing with this
Let's see what comes out.

As said before this should be fixed since the Slow-Motion function produces smoother vidoe than the Video Speed method.

Regards,
Tom PC: Intel Core2Duo E8600 2,66 GHz, 4 GB RAM
elbraddo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well just to test it out - maybe have a crack at rendering the raw mts as another type of file, then apply the Slow-Motion funtion, then re-render - - and let us know if the green line disappears. PD8, Build 2704.
i7 860 2.8 Ghz, 4G RAM,
Palit brand 9800GT GPU
Win7 - 64bit.
[Post New]
Just did a test with MPEG2 instead of AVCHD as basis and produced to AVI and WMA.
In both cases - no green line.

Im quite sure this only happens with AVCHD when using Slow Motion video with frame interpolated technology.
The "funny" thing is that this issue apparently had been addressed to CL R&D 2 months ago already:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10101.page

But obviously the bug hasn't been fixed with the last build

Regards,
Tom

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 19. 2010 15:01

elbraddo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Interesting, and as suspected.

I'd surmise that this issue may be confined to mts files specifically, and possibly not all avchd files.

May be worth putting up a post asking all panasonic cam/mts file users to do a 10 second test, using a fix/enhance tool, and seeing how many people get unwanted colourful additions to their videos? PD8, Build 2704.
i7 860 2.8 Ghz, 4G RAM,
Palit brand 9800GT GPU
Win7 - 64bit.
nirvana497
Newbie Joined: Oct 31, 2010 07:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Go to preferences. In the editing tab enable hardware decoding. You will be made sure to have enough graphic capacity with the latest drivers but it helped me get rid of those green lines under slow motion videos
- PD ultra 8.00.3022

My spec
i3-370M processor 2.40 GHz, Memory 4 GB, Graphic memory - 1 GB
Windows 7 Home premium (64-bit)

Cam
Sony HDR-XR550

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 31. 2010 08:28

Karthik Chandrasekhar
foresthillsbob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2010 18:45 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone know if an upgrade to PD9 will solve this green line problem? Any reported green line problems in PD9?