Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I edit a DVD with Powerdirector?
MARK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2010 19:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I am newbie so excuse me if I am asking a stupid question. I have a dvd someone made for me and I would like to add some more pictures to it. Can this be done with PD?

Thanks
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
You would need to rip the video off of the DVD as a video file, then add the pictures you want and reproduce it. So no you can't edit the DVD, but you can take the video off the DVD, edit it and reproduce it and reburn it to a DVD.

There may be a tutorial somewhere for this (I don't know) however, if you open Power Director, insert the DVD that you want to rip the video off in your DVD drive on your computer, once it is loaded, click on capture (at the top left of power director). Choose the option AVCHD and it should show the opening thumbnail of the video that you are wanting to capture. Under capture preferences you can choose different scenes (if there are different scenes) however, if you check off Movie, it will check all of the different chapters. At the top under the screen showing your video, you can then click the record button (button with the red dot in the middle) You will receive a pop up that says extracting. When it is done on the top right you will see a video (this is the capture from your dvd). When this is done, click on edit and it will load into the timeline for editing.

Hope this helps.
TheShadowman
Member Location: St Albans, Herts, United Kingdom Joined: Dec 31, 2009 12:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mark

If Mclean's suggestion is not suitable you can have a look at the link below to bring the files into PD8 directly

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/1501.page

Robert
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Referring the link posted above:

I've found that PD sometimes dose not like .VOB files. I normally render them to MPEG2 files after adding the VOB file to the timeline. Its exactly the same thing so SVRT will kick in and PD will be much more stable. I also get much lower CPU usage working with the MPEG2 files. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
The only problem with bringing the .vob files in directly, rather than ripping them, is that the .vob files are split by size not content. This means that a place that you might not want to have edited OR if you wanted to use the same audio without a split, this would not happen.

In addition, as James says, vob files tend to be more difficult to edit and work with. When the entire dvd is ripped by PD it is ripped as an mpeg2.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05. 2010 00:28

MARK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2010 19:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll give it a try.