Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Uninstall PowerDVD causes no playback :(
John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2010 16:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi I just brought a bluray drive for my media centre and got power dvd with it so installed that and tried to play a bluray through media center on windows 7. It won't do it so after a little research I purchased Arcsoft total media theatre 3 which plays them in media centre.

the problem I am having started when I uninstalled powerdvd. since I did that I no longer have normal dvd playback and I can't see an error It looks like it will start playing, I get a critical stop soumd and it goes back to the previous page'

any ideas?

many thanks

chris
jester_uk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2009 10:40 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
this is why i always make sure my pc is backed with norton ghost 15 AND windows backup and restore (just in case lol) BEFORE i put ANY cyberlink software in my pc. i know it can be a headache to uninstall it so i can easily just go back to before it with ghost with no grief. if you need to uninstall it and make sure everything is out of your system then use this free safe software

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

and then manually delete the entries in registry
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John,

It is not uncommon for third-party multimedia players to conflict with each other---especially their installer/remover programs.

My suggestion is to remove all of them and start over. You've written that you've already removed PowerDVD 10 Ultra. Next, uninstall TotalMedia Theatre 3. Then use a registry cleaner to clean the Windows registry (I usually use the one in Norton Utilities or Norton 360).

At this point you should not have any third-party blu-ray player installed and your Windows registry should be clean.

Finally, reinstall TotalMedia Theatre 3. Hopefully it will restore your DVD playback.

Kind regards, David

P.S. I wholeheartedly second Jon's recommendation of making a backup of your system before you install future software so you can restore your computer if you run into problems.