Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where to ask about hardware upgrades?
tpallred1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2015 14:51 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
I searched for hardware-related questions but didn't see any. I built my i7-4790 based system several years ago and am thinking about an upgrade. I"m hitting 100% at points during rendering so I plan on a new system because I've maxed out this motherboard. My graphics card - Nvidia GTX 980 - needs an update as well. I often process 4K video so the system has to handle that. Don't want to buy too much higher than my need. Not going to be processing video higher than 4K. I also drive 3 screens - 2 4K and 1 1080p - using TDAmeritrade's Thinkorswim stock trading software and usually have 10 charting windows open at once. The number of choices is a little daunting. I'm hardware agnostic. Any suggestions? Oh, and I have the 365 Director Suite subscription that is up to date. Thanks.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2022 14:56

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I searched for hardware-related questions but didn't see any. I built my i7-4790 based system several years ago and am thinking about an upgrade. I"m hitting 100% at points during rendering so I plan on a new system because I've maxed out this motherboard. My graphics card - Nvidia GTX 980 - needs an update as well. I often process 4K video so the system has to handle that. Don't want to buy too much higher than my need. Not going to be processing video higher than 4K. I also drive 3 screens - 2 4K and 1 1080p - using TDAmeritrade's Thinkorswim stock trading software and usually have 10 charting windows open at once. The number of choices is a little daunting. I'm hardware agnostic. Any suggestions? Oh, and I have the 365 Director Suite subscription that is up to date. Thanks.

I think your Maxwell NV GPU is really out of date and definitely not enough for 4K gaming or video editing.
It might be OK for 4K video playback though.

The price of NVIDIA GPU has dropped significantly, and the prevoius 20 series has ceased shipping by NVIDIA already.
If you are going to puchase a new PC for editing 4K videos, you may consider 30 series or above directly.
But, the latest 40 series might still be too expensive.

RAM size is also very important for processing 4K videos. 16 GB is the minimum, and 32 GB or above is receommended (no matter you chose DDR4 or DDR5).

By the way, the new 12th generation Intel CPU has quite good reputation for its performance improvement over all previous generations. You should also consider the upgrade on CPU as well.

Your i7-4790 has released for nearly a decade and not even capable than the new and low end Intel 12th core i3.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790-vs-Intel-Core-i3-12100/2293vs4126

For more information, you can consult your PC vendors for what they have now or it might need you to wait for the arrival.
tpallred1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2015 14:51 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks. I'm looking at a Ryzen 7 7700X with an RTX 3070 Ti as the main components of an upgrade. Tom
i7-4790K, Asus Z97-A, 16GB RAM, GTX 960, SSDs, Monoprice 28" 4K CrystalPro, Acer 23" 1080p H236HL - Full system at http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kYxw23