Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Split Clip Grayed Out -- Why?
Food & Justice [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2022 12:20 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Screenshot here:

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipMNvIDZDu5Bxq_bxq4gJkrWbfj5AywL4_AZSwa7

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 16. 2022 13:35

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Please try your link from a browser/device where you're not signed in.

Try following these instructions rather than copying the link directly from your browser:
Food & Justice [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. How's this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U9f4g5yr5MTL67DP6
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That works, thanks, but I don't see anything greyed out. Can you provide some context for what you've done and what you're expecting to see?
Food & Justice [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That works, thanks, but I don't see anything greyed out. Can you provide some context for what you've done and what you're expecting to see?

The splitting tool (the thing that looks like a utility knife) is gray. I want to split the video at the marked point, but am unable to as a result. Also,, nothing happens when I try to use the keyboard shortcut to do this.
optodata
[Post New]
Oh yes I see it now. I thought you were referring to a split clip, not the split clip tool

The fact that a title is showing for both the video and audio tracks tells me that you've previously unlinked them. What happens if you select both sections, right-click and chose Link/Unlink Video and Audio?

You may need to click on an empty section of timeline to deselect them, then click on them again to see if the Split tool is available
Food & Justice [Avatar]
[Post New]
>The fact that a title is showing for both the video and audio tracks tells me that you've previously unlinked them.

I don't think I unlinked them. I'm on the Mac version. Does that make a difference?

>What happens if you select both sections, right-click and chose Link/Unlink Video and Audio?

Nothing. I can't right-click on a Mac and if I command cluck nothing happens.

>You may need to click on an empty section of timeline to deselect them, then click on them again to see if the Split tool is available[

Tried that. Nothing changed.

/quotePostId]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16. 2022 14:42

optodata
[Post New]
It was just a guess as I don't have any problems with unlinked clips on my system.

Two more questions: Does the split tool work normally with other clips?

What's the exact version you're working with?

Click on the PD icon and at the top left of the app window and tell us the version details you see. it will look like this:

Food & Justice [Avatar]
[Post New]
>Two more questions: Does the split tool work normally with other clips?

Yes.

> What's the exact version you're working with?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ycotjPBPVVHAGRZd6

Thanks for your help!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16. 2022 14:59

optodata
[Post New]
Oh, you have the Mac version. Does the problem occur when you try to split other clips? You can temporarily place another clip on your timeline to test that out.

There aren't many Mac users here on the forum yet, so if the problem persists maybe your best bet is to contact CL customer service from here
Food & Justice [Avatar]
[Post New]
> Oh, you have the Mac version. Does the problem occur when you try to split other clips? You can temporarily place another clip on your timeline to test that out.

Yeah, I just tried another clip and I was able to clip that.
optodata
[Post New]
The simplest approach would be to try again and place another copy of the original clip on the timeline and make the same kinds of edits to it.

You may want to split it first, then use Copy Keyframe Attributes to transfer any FX and color changes from the existing clip to the new version. Do Macs have mice you can right-click on these days? I haven't used any Apple products since about 1993
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Do Macs have mice you can right-click on these days? I haven't used any Apple products since about 1993

Hello,

Not sure what the OP means, as you can indeed right-click in Mac these days, at least for sure with Macbook Pro and Air. See the attached.

Not sure why the split button is not active in that screenshot either. I'll ask my contact if this is a common thing with some clips on Mac.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - Mac-rightclick.png]
 Filename
Mac-rightclick.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
402 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)