Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 365 random crashes
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
did anyone look at my dxdiag ?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote here is my dxdiag info

take a look and let me know why my PD 365 Crashes and PD 18 never crashes

Your brand new video card is obviously in good shape but I'd try updating to the latest nVidia Studio Driver (526.98) as you're currently at 522.25,

I can't tell you why the 2 versions of PD don't run equally well on your system, but you might want to try the same command line tools I linked to in my previous replay.

FWIW I have two Win11 machines with PD17 and PD365 installed and I haven't seen any crashes when working with them. I don't know what the issues might be, so I'm trying to provide some guidance for eliminating the most typical causes.

Continuing to report these issues to CL through the official channel is the only way to get them to figure out what's happening on the affected systems.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Your brand new video card is obviously in good shape but I'd try updating to the latest nVidia Studio Driver (526.98) as you're currently at 522.25,

I can't tell you why the 2 versions of PD don't run equally well on your system, but you might want to try the same command line tools I linked to in my previous replay.

FWIW I have two Win11 machines with PD17 and PD365 installed and I haven't seen any crashes when working with them. I don't know what the issues might be, so I'm trying to provide some guidance for eliminating the most typical causes.

Continuing to report these issues to CL through the official channel is the only way to get them to figure out what's happening on the affected systems.

thanks for the info. Is the Studio Driver different than the regular 3090Ti graphics driver ?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes as it's tailored for video creating apps rather than game performance, but it's unclear how much PD benefits from those features.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote thanks for the info. Is the Studio Driver different than the regular 3090Ti graphics driver ?

If you are a gamer who needs immediate launch support for the latest games, choose Game Ready Drivers. If you are a content creator who needs more thoroughly tested drivers for certain applications that work with graphics/video/photo/livestream, choose Studio Drivers. I'm not aware of any true tailoring and PD is not even in the test suite of real-world workflows for Studio Drivers, so basically no unique advantage concerning PD.

Jeff
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you are a gamer who needs immediate launch support for the latest games, choose Game Ready Drivers. If you are a content creator who needs more thoroughly tested drivers for certain applications that work with graphics/video/photo/livestream, choose Studio Drivers. I'm not aware of any true tailoring and PD is not even in the test suite of real-world workflows for Studio Drivers, so basically no unique advantage concerning PD.

Jeff

I updated to the Studio Driver for my Nvidia 3090Ti but when I went to PD 365 and started clicking effects and other things on the left, the Software Crashes

this is ridiculous and unacceptable

by now Cyberlink should have released an update or new build, etc
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I updated to the Studio Driver for my Nvidia 3090Ti but when I went to PD 365 and started clicking effects and other things on the left, the Software Crashes

this is ridiculous and unacceptable

by now Cyberlink should have released an update or new build, etc

As indicated prior, absolutely no surprise at all that Studio Driver did not resolve.

In my view, you probably have conflicting software installed or registry key issues. Should it happen, no, but it has. Kind of like this users prior “uncommon” crash issue, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80732.page#post_box_332139

So, the best option to identify is with CL customer support. They can give you debug code to run in parallel with your PD session to trap crash issue event. It will probably take several months and several iterations of debug to identify in this fashion. Patience of essence as it's been demonstrated to be a frustrating slow process with support on these types of issues.

Jeff
Blaza2703 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2022 18:37 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]

I see lots of issues with your system. First off is that the video drivers for your Intel iGPU and nVidia GTX 1650Ti are more than a year out of date.

Go to the Asus support page for your laptop and look for both under Drivers & Tools then under Graphics. I imagine there are many other updates you're missing so you may want to download and install those others while you're there.

The other main issue is the list of WindowsServicingFailures at the end of the DxDiag file where the most recent crashes are listed. If Asus has a diagnostic tool, run that and let it see if it can detect and repair any issues with your system. If you don't see that option, follow the steps shown in bold in this post.

There's also been at least one crash of the AsusSoftwareManager and that might need to be updated or uninstalled/reinstalled.

Please run through all of these steps and then try running PD and see if things go better for you.

Wow, I've just got back from a work conference and am super duper suprised that you were able to advise so much from that document! And you did that solely because you wanted to help - thank you so much for even taking that time my friend! I'm not PC illiterate but I'm definitely no whiz either so that's already been helpful to look at those things - worrying that I've bought a new laptop and those things are out of date but will defintely look at what you've suggested and let you know what the outcome.

Beyond grateful!

detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I contacted Cyberlink and their response was laughable

they wrote:

With reference to your query, we may suggest following the steps below that may help you to resolve your concern.
1. Check whether the installed drive has enough space on it.
2. Run the software while no other applications are running.
3. Temporarily disable Antivirus and/or Firewall.
4. Update graphics card driver to the latest. You can download the latest driver by visiting the link below:
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/194380/en-us/
Version 526.98

I already have the latest version of PD365 and the latest version of Nvidia Driver and I have plenty o hard drive space and I sent them my dxdiag as well

also, I have the same softwares open; not being used and have never had any problems at all. I think also that the previous build of PD 365 did NOT have these crashes. I know I updated the PD 365 not too long ago and noticed the crashing after

I hope someone has a better way of getting this working. I have a feeling it will be an updated version of PD 365 that might fix these problems people are complaining about regarding the crashes
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I contacted Cyberlink and their response was laughable

they wrote:

With reference to your query, we may suggest following the steps below that may help you to resolve your concern.
1. Check whether the installed drive has enough space on it.
2. Run the software while no other applications are running.
3. Temporarily disable Antivirus and/or Firewall.
4. Update graphics card driver to the latest. You can download the latest driver by visiting the link below:
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/194380/en-us/
Version 526.98

I already have the latest version of PD365 and the latest version of Nvidia Driver and I have plenty o hard drive space and I sent them my dxdiag as well

also, I have the same softwares open; not being used and have never had any problems at all. I think also that the previous build of PD 365 did NOT have these crashes. I know I updated the PD 365 not too long ago and noticed the crashing after

I hope someone has a better way of getting this working. I have a feeling it will be an updated version of PD 365 that might fix these problems people are complaining about regarding the crashes

Yep, very typical first response. You simply have to keep responding to eventually get past the first layer of rolodex support answers. As I indicated, expect it to take maybe months and be frustrating.

I wouldn't bank on just a push patch correcting this specific issue, but wait for a month, you might get lucky.

Jeff
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I have had the same experience...

My feeling is that the problem you have, trying to open one of the effect rooms, might have to do with what looks like an inventory system, that should make opening and switching between rooms faster. It does that in my system. CL apparently introduced this inventory approach over the last few months and 365 versions. But this inventory needs to be build from a stable position. So, I would guess that this does not always goes will.
When I recently moved to another laptop, I had to rebuild windows (11) and installed the CL software, while I was doing that. PD did not work properly, whatever I tried. I think this was (also) because I tried to remove OneDrive, which during the PD installation was used as the default documents folder to store some PD files. So both running PD and removing OneDrive did not work for me. It was very clear that working with the various effect rooms, was not possible.
So, I uninstalled all CL software, made sure that none of the custom settings were kept (it is an option during the uninstall) and also made sure that I had a copy put aside for all the custom titles and other stuff I have made in all previous versions. After checking windows installation (updates etc.), drivers and so on, all the things you have already done. I first moved all the custom files (titles etc.) to the proper places in c:\users\%username%\documents\cyberlink\powerdirector\nn.n (that is the version number). If you have items from previous versions put them in place before the installation, but make sure that there are no PD 21 folders.
After that I installed PD with the Application Manager and tried to open rooms. It worked better. The first time a bit slower, because apparently PD was building an inventory (I am still guessing that is what they use).
So, PD 365 works for me now. But I also still get the accessional crash (which are sent to CL, so they should be in the know). They should still have some home work to do….
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have had the same experience...

My feeling is that the problem you have, trying to open one of the effect rooms, might have to do with what looks like an inventory system, that should make opening and switching between rooms faster. It does that in my system. CL apparently introduced this inventory approach over the last few months and 365 versions. But this inventory needs to be build from a stable position. So, I would guess that this does not always goes will.
When I recently moved to another laptop, I had to rebuild windows (11) and installed the CL software, while I was doing that. PD did not work properly, whatever I tried. I think this was (also) because I tried to remove OneDrive, which during the PD installation was used as the default documents folder to store some PD files. So both running PD and removing OneDrive did not work for me. It was very clear that working with the various effect rooms, was not possible.
So, I uninstalled all CL software, made sure that none of the custom settings were kept (it is an option during the uninstall) and also made sure that I had a copy put aside for all the custom titles and other stuff I have made in all previous versions. After checking windows installation (updates etc.), drivers and so on, all the things you have already done. I first moved all the custom files (titles etc.) to the proper places in c:\users\%username%\documents\cyberlink\powerdirector\nn.n (that is the version number). If you have items from previous versions put them in place before the installation, but make sure that there are no PD 21 folders.
After that I installed PD with the Application Manager and tried to open rooms. It worked better. The first time a bit slower, because apparently PD was building an inventory (I am still guessing that is what they use).
So, PD 365 works for me now. But I also still get the accessional crash (which are sent to CL, so they should be in the know). They should still have some home work to do….

I agree that it has something to do with the inventory system, which is very poor and Cyberlink needs to fix it. When you choose those same effects or others in stand alone PD versions, there are no problems. Only in PD365

Do others also notice that PD 365 renders video slower ? I may have to do an exact test with PD 18 but it seems the 365 is slower and I have 3090Ti Graphics Card
Blaza2703 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2022 18:37 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]

I see lots of issues with your system. First off is that the video drivers for your Intel iGPU and nVidia GTX 1650Ti are more than a year out of date.

Go to the Asus support page for your laptop and look for both under Drivers & Tools then under Graphics. I imagine there are many other updates you're missing so you may want to download and install those others while you're there.

The other main issue is the list of WindowsServicingFailures at the end of the DxDiag file where the most recent crashes are listed. If Asus has a diagnostic tool, run that and let it see if it can detect and repair any issues with your system. If you don't see that option, follow the steps shown in bold in this post.

There's also been at least one crash of the AsusSoftwareManager and that might need to be updated or uninstalled/reinstalled.

Please run through all of these steps and then try running PD and see if things go better for you.

Hi,

Just wanted to update and say that I followed your steps and advice above and for the past 2 days since, PD has not crashed once!

Thank you so much for your help, it saved me tearing my hair out!!!
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thank you so much for your help, it saved me tearing my hair out!!!

I'm really glad you've seen a clear improvement, and thanks for posting back! Let's hope those issues were the root of your problems and you'll have a better editing experience going forwardđź‘Ť

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2022 21:09

WilliamW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2022 21:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote FWIW I haven't seen any crashing issues with the latest release on my 2 machines and I haven't see an unusual numbers of posts on the forum. That doesn't mean it isn't causing problems for some people, only that it isn't a universal issue like this one.

The usual troubleshooting steps may be in order. See this post and get the latest nVidia driver from here.

I am unable to Launch / open PD 365. It says directly after install:

"MSVCR110.dll was not found"
"MSVCP110.dll was not found"

I've tried uninstall and folder deletion methods w/reboot.

No change.

I have minimized startup programs and closed all others

Please advise.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I am unable to Launch / open PD 365. It says directly after install:

"MSVCR110.dll was not found"
"MSVCP110.dll was not found"

I've tried uninstall and folder deletion methods w/reboot.

No change.

I have minimized startup programs and closed all others

Please advise.

Since you see MSVCR110.dll issue, you need this specific Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable package. The install should check and handle but it's failing for some reason. See this FAQ https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24269

Jeff
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
My PD 365 Power Director still crashes when I start clicking on the effects. Most other stuff is ok but the effects specifically will cause it to crash and I wonder if I press wait for the program how long it may take if it ever comes back

other problem is I can't do anything else on my computer when this happens so I have to choose close the program

I hope someone here on the forum has figured out how to stop this crashing
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
does anyone have any other suggestion about fixing the crashes on Power Director 365 when you click effects ?

I still have the same crashing problems and cyberlink has no idea how to fix it

they asked me to try it after closing all other software, which I tried and it still crashes every time you click into effects

only the effects feature causes crashes. . again, my power director 18 ultra NEVER crashes on any feature
optodata
[Post New]
At this point since something is still going on with your system I'd try resetting Windows. Here are the steps from Microsoft, and you should choose the Keep my files option.

You should also make a full backup of your current system so you can restore it or recover any items you might need later on.

A more drastic approach would be to reset Windows again and use the Remove everything option. You will obviously need to install all your apps from scratch but that will almost certainly clear up whatever's been happening on your PC this whole time.
ExtraPD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2015 21:04 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Quote At this point since something is still going on with your system I'd try resetting Windows. Here are the steps from Microsoft, and you should choose the Keep my files option.

You should also make a full backup of your current system so you can restore it or recover any items you might need later on.

A more drastic approach would be to reset Windows again and use the Remove everything option. You will obviously need to install all your apps from scratch but that will almost certainly clear up whatever's been happening on your PC this whole time.

Please keep us updated on your progress on this. Thank you.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Since everything else on my computer is working, I am not doing to reset windows, etc

evev this PD 365 works fine on other functions; ONLY the effects cause the problem

cyberlink wrote this below and I told them the you can't wait because it doesn't come back and you can't use your computer durig this hanging/crashing

With a reference to your concern, as aforementioned, in the newer version of PowerDirector, there is a database of templates (effects, transitions, etc.) for the in-app-download feature. If you switch rooms quickly, it may require some time to load all the templates information for the rooms that you have clicked from the server. It is suggested to click "Wait for the program to respond" when the message pops, to wait, and to let PowerDirector finish the loading of the templates and check if the condition persists

Please keep us updated on your progress on this. Thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2023 19:20