Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"My Favorites" empty again after update
BadWolf [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 10, 2015 09:45 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
Upgraded PowerDirector 365 today as prompted from application manager. Everything was fine but now when I load PowerDirectory, all of "My Favorites" are empty , including fx, transitions, titles, etc.

I checked my hard drive and I still do have folders and files in my \CyberLink\PowerDirector\21.0 folder (MyParticles,MyTitles,MyTrans,etc are all present with folders and files within them)

It is acting like PD365 isn't looking in the right location for my Favorites and is just showing 0 now.
I added a title to My Favorites but it did not add anything to the "MyTitles" folder

Updated to v21.0.2214.0

Same thing happened when it updated to v2213

I did open up a ticket with support.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Upgraded PowerDirector 365 today as prompted from application manager. Everything was fine but now when I load PowerDirectory, all of "My Favorites" are empty , including fx, transitions, titles, etc.

I checked my hard drive and I still do have folders and files in my \CyberLink\PowerDirector\21.0 folder (MyParticles,MyTitles,MyTrans,etc are all present with folders and files within them)

It is acting like PD365 isn't looking in the right location for my Favorites and is just showing 0 now.
I added a title to My Favorites but it did not add anything to the "MyTitles" folder

Updated to v21.0.2214.0

Same thing happened when it updated to v2213

I did open up a ticket with support.

Hi,

I updated to PDR365 Business 2214 yesterday but it retained the limited number of My Favorites in transitions and Titles OK for me.

Not sure anyone else has reported it on the forum - be interesting to see what support have to say?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
support was able to reproduce it and is taking it to the developers My issue is really with favorites not customized titles so I'm not sure if they're really understanding my issue or just not explaining what they're finding well enough for me to connect the dots.

their reply:
With reference to your query, please be advised that we have reproduced that some of the provided customized titles are not showing in a newer version of PowerDirector 21/365. We have escalated the provided titles to our engineering team for further checking.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2022 09:29

BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
So support hasn't been able to tell me where exactly thge "My Favorites" is stored (registry? .xml file? nobody knows?)

So I was able to re-add them by finding the files "TitleTemplate.xml" on my hard drive. Viewing the .XML files shows me the ALIAS. Then in PD I go into title, search for the alias, and favorite it again. Then I can rebuild my "My Favorites" tag.
[Thumb - 1.jpg]
 Filename
1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
found XML files
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - 2.jpg]
 Filename
2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
search and add to my favorites again
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This is good troubleshooting that would help others that encounter the same issue. Maybe you can let support know what you found so they may be able to help someone else.
[Post New]
Hi,
I have the same problem. This is annoying behavior.
My PD 365 forgets favorites after an update in a random way. Sometimes it leaves some favorites like Transitions, and the other day it clears all of them. Especially Titles disappear most of the time.
Proposed workaround might be good but it is not what you expect from a paid subscription. _______________________________
regards, Tom
(PD365, Win10 Pro x64, Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3670, 12GB, SSD)
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Support replied. Don't know what to make of it. I think they're just trying to get me to go away by saying this is expected behavior.
if in fact this was by design (which I don't believe) then it should have been in the release notes so we could have saved our favorites into a folder before upgrading.
The actual file, which store the "My Favorites" transitions are stored in a program file. However, as aforementioned, per current program design and due to version differences, PowerDirector does not support bringing the My Favorite tab's data from PowerDirector 20/365 to PowerDirector 21/365.
[Post New]
Quote due to version differences, PowerDirector does not support bringing the My Favorite tab's data from PowerDirector 20/365 to PowerDirector 21/365.

What?!

It should read "due to the configuration mess". This piece of software looks like being developed by a number of teams that do not communicate with each other.

I opened a ticket and I'm curious about the support answer. _______________________________
regards, Tom
(PD365, Win10 Pro x64, Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3670, 12GB, SSD)
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
It doesn't make sense. Why would you lose favorites by upgrading ? You don't lose anything else like history of projects, your configuration, etc.
and if for some reason this was by design, at least include it in the release notes so users are aware not to use the favorites function because it is not reliable.

My workflow now is to create a folder called favorites and add my items there. Custom folders seem to persist across upgrades. I no longer use the actual favorites "feature"

I really like PD and have been using it for years but the quality control disparity when you compare it to Adobe (Lightroom for example) keeps getting bigger. They should focus on stability and reliability and less on these stupid sticker packs nobody wants.