Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
avchd : impossible !
Frédéric [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2010 15:34 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
hello
I just got the v8 ultra and can't produce my dvd HD.

My project is made of MTS files (from a Canon HF11) and takes 1h30.

As I ain't got blue-ray burner, I cutted the project to fit it in a DVD double layer (8,5Go)
Then I selected AVCHD 8,5Gb format, HD 1920x1080 and launched burning
A new little window appears with a progress bar....which stays at 0% !
Is there any setting I forgot ?

My computer :
Asus Rampage2
Intel 4 core i7 @2.67Ghz
memory 3Go
SATA2 HDD
Windows 7

Thanks in advance for your help

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 23. 2010 15:50

Ron [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2009 21:13 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
PD 8 is looking for your Canon HD Codec, that's why it probably stays at 0. I know I have to get my Samsung HD codec before any media burner will burn Samsung .mov files. Even Quicktime won't play them until I get the Samsung HD Codec.
Frédéric [Avatar]
[Post New]
a Canon HD codec ?? what's that ?!
Aaron Richards [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Jan 21, 2010 16:20 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frédéric

I have the Canon HF S11. I have a laptop with a Blu Ray burner. I can burn AVCHD to a DVD-R.

Maybe you still need a Blu Ray Burner to burn AVCHD to a standard DVD. Im not 100% sure though.

You need a Blu Ray player to play AVCHD off a standard DVD, so you probably need a Blu Ray burner to burn it to a standard DVD.

Maybe your DVD Burner cant burn AVCHD to your standard DVD.

First try to burn the AVCHD file to your hard drive first, see if you can, and see if that works first.

Aaron

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 23. 2010 18:50

Frédéric [Avatar]
[Post New]
oh I see..
well, is there a way to produce HD with a classic DVD(DL) burner ? because I haven't got BR burner for the moment and I'd like to show HD film with any standard DVD player... but I guess I can't...
Aaron Richards [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Jan 21, 2010 16:20 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frédéric

I know 100% for sure my Panasonic Blu Ray player plays AVCHD, and most other brands also do. But I dont think any standard DVD players do. They may be some new ones that do, but it seems to be a technology built into Blu Ray Players, as a Blu Ray Player already plays HD, where DVD players dont play HD, as standard DVD's are only SD.

The other way to do it is get something like a WDTV Live media player http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735

I have one. You copy your HD video onto an external hard drive, or a USb memory stick, and you plug them into the WDTV Live, and it allows you to play them on a TV in HD. It is easily transportable, as it is only a little bigger than a pack of cards.

This also saves you from wasting DVD's as well.

Aaron

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 23. 2010 19:14

Ron [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2009 21:13 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
If you are trying to produce an HD file from your HD Canon camera tape/disc, then you need Canon's HD codec. They may not have a propietary codec like Samsung, but if PD8 just sits there at 0 (when trying to produce the movie, not burn it) then it needs this HD codec that Canon uses. You will not be able to burn HD files onto a DVD, but you can produce it and have it as an HD movie. Since you don't have a BluRay burner, you would have to play it on you PC with something like PowerDVD HD. It cannot be played on any DVD player unless it is a BluRay player. I too have the WDTV HD unit (cost $90 - $99) and it will play HD files. You hook an external harddrive to it or use your ethernet wired or wireless connection to get your files from you PC to your TV.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Just some basics,

1. You can burn AVCHD videos to a normal DVD using a normal DVD player/writer.

2. Not all stand alone DVD players connected to a TV will play AVCHD video, most will but not all. EDIT====> now scraping a pile of egg off my face, sorry everyone I was wrong you do need a blu-ray player to play AVCHD video.

3. You do not need a blu-ray player to burn or play the AVCHD video. Again my bad you can burn an AVCHD video with a DVD player but your need a Blu-ray player to play them.

Lastly as media players get cheaper and cheaper it may be easier to buy one of those and just upload your videos to a memory card, problem solved.

Cheers

Robert S

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2010 17:55

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frederic,

Did you post this question in the Director Zone forum? The reason I ask is because the same question was asked and you both have identical hardware system specs.The person with the AVCHD Dual layer disc burning problem was also a "Fred" and he said the he was using Power Director 8 Ultra Build 1930. This is an older version...not the latest. See Screen Shot.

If you are the same person and even if you are not( I feel like Sherlock Holmes).....updating to the most recent build (2704) could be the simple answer to your problem. There were to my knowledge some various disc burning issues with the older builds.

Here is a link to the update.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Kevin
[Thumb - Fred.PNG]
 Filename
Fred.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Director Zone question
 Filesize
81 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
175 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Mar 24. 2010 06:29

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frederic,

I would certainly agree with Kevin - you should ensure you upgrade to the latest version straight away before coming back to us with any feedback.

2. Not all stand alone DVD players connected to a TV will play AVCHD video, most will but not all.

Certainly not in this part of the world I'm afraid. None do to my knowledge. To play an AVCHD DVD here you need either a blu-ray player (and not all support AVCHD DVDs) or a PS3.

3. You do not need a blu-ray player to burn or play the AVCHD video.

If you meant blu-ray burner then I agree, but as I mentioned before you do need a blu-ray player or a PS3 to watch AVCHD DVDs back through a TV.

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2010 16:08

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Andrew for not calling me a stupid idiot and just politely pointing out I was wrong. My fingers got ahead of my brain. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

Thank you for that - I'm glad I didn't cause offence!

Warm regards!

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Frédéric [Avatar]
[Post New]
woaw, I don't know what to do anymore !
I believed it was a good idea to ask for help through different forums (here and DirectZone). I've just supposed some people don't see both.
As I got more replies here, I'll forget DirectZone then.

Well, the update 2704 didn't solve my problem :
the rendering still freeze at about 2mn30
Is it a memory, space, compatibility problem ?
I'm testing with shorter film but I don't see anything else I can do..

Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi Frederic,

I'm sorry the upgrade in software didn't work.

Before we go any further, can you in PD8 click on the directors chair in the top left of the screen and select

Edit -> Preferences -> Produce ->

and ensure the 'Allow SVRT....' box is ticked. Ignore the warning message.

This will ensure PD8 handles your Canon footage correctly.

Can you provide me with some information?

What recording mode is your Canon footage shot in? MXP 24mbps or 17mbps FXP for example?

Are you going from the timeline in 'Edit' with your raw camera footage on straight to 'Create Disc'?

Does your disc include a menu?

Have you used transitions between the clips?

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
and ensure the 'Allow SVRT....' box is ticked. Ignore the warning message.

This will ensure PD8 handles your Canon footage correctly.
I'm not sure about "ensure", I have seen plenty of cases that SVRT does not handle Canon footage correctly even when "Allow SVRT..." is ticked at release 2704. Yes you can produce a file or create a disc but it may not really handle the SVRT part correctly. I'm not saying you won't be happy with the results, that's always left to the eye of the editor.

Jeff
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

Yes I agree - SVRT doesn't behave as expected even with the 'Allow SVRT...' box ticked.

I'm sure you'd agree though that it certainly works better with the box ticked. I'm thinking of those tests we ran on footage with transitions. PD8 re-encoded the transition and the subsequent clips, instead of just the transition, when the 'Allow SVRT...' box was not ticked.

Cheers,

Andrew

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Frédéric [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi
Ok, I've ticked SVRT option.
Nothing new..

I filmed in XP+ mode (12Mbps)
I saved footage from the Canon to a directory (17.5Go)
I loaded clips directory in PD and dropped them into the timeline.
I cutted clips, split audio, added pictures with effects (zoom, panoramic...) and transitions (fades)
I didn't include any menu but added several chapters.
Then I go to 'Create Disc'
No menu,
select AVCHD and 'DVD 8.5 Gb'
select 'HD 1920x1080'
(7782Mb is required)
Burning
select only 'Create folder..'

For information, I tested with 10mn of film and that works !
(space required was about 500Mb)

But burning in DVD mode does not work as well !
I have this message : "burning failed, probably a AuthoringMgr issue..."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2010 09:13

Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi,

Do everything as before but this time select 1440x1080 as the resolution of your AVCHD disc. The reason is that your footage has been shot in that resolution.

This should allow SVRT to work and put less stress on your system.

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2010 11:05

Frédéric [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, the problem remains..
(by the way I've set my Canon to 1920x1040)

I have reinstalled PD + update + SVRT enable.
(I even updated graphic card : ATI Radeon HD 4800)

I've forgiven AVCHD format since DVD-format burning to a folder fails at each time : the program does not respond anymore at about 20% or 60%
I even tested with various destination (I have an external SATA drive)

Really I think this software dislike my setup ! motherboard or memory management I dunno..
But the fact many users with decent setup are struggling with it makes me think it's not a reliable software
I don't see how I can go on with it.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
Do everything as before but this time select 1440x1080 as the resolution of your AVCHD disc. The reason is that your footage has been shot in that resolution.
This should allow SVRT to work and put less stress on your system.
Cheers,
Andrew
Frédéric
Take note of what Andrew has written. You appear to be causing your own issues here. Read and act upon members sensible input.
Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 27. 2010 14:35