Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
[PowerDVD10] What glasses for 3D?
DMD [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Italy Joined: Apr 22, 2009 16:27 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I used the same glasses used for the movies (Real D 3D) but I could not see any effect by selecting the 3 modes available.

Wonder what the glasses are given to see the 3D effect?

THANKS
André [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Italy Joined: Mar 19, 2010 16:10 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
You can not use RealD glasses just like in cinemas because they were meant to be used with polarized images. Common LCD monitors do not have polarized screens.
You need to use a kit for PC like Nvidia's 3D Vision which requires a 120Hz monitor (there are are only 4 or 5 on the market), a recent Nvidia graphic card and the 3D Vision Kit which includes wireless active glasses. * André *
Stock [Avatar]
Member Location: UK Joined: Jul 08, 2006 11:43 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
From the hardware support section on the product page.

Additional Hardware Support for TrueTheater™ 3D

* NVIDIA 3D Vision (for Windows 7 only)
o NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit + 3D Vision-Ready Display + 3D Vision Compatible NVIDIA Graphics Card are required
o Please download and install 196.34 beta VGA driver (or above) and then the 196.21 WHQL 3D Vision driver
* 120Hz Frame-sequential 3D LCD (NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready)
o Native format: 120 fps left and right
o Eye wear: Active shutter glasses (NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit)
o Supported Hardware: Samsung 2233RZ, Asus G51J-SZ028V, Acer GD245HQ, Acer GD235HZ

* 3D Polarizer LCD
o Native format: row-interleaved
o Eye wear: Polarized glasses
o Supported Hardware: Zalman ZM-M220W, Acer 5738DG (Notebook)

* 3D Ready HDTV (DLP)
o Native format: checkerboard
o Eye wear: Active shutter glasses
o Supported Hardware: Mitsubishi 1080p DLP HDTV, Samsung 3D Ready DLP HDTV
DMD [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Italy Joined: Apr 22, 2009 16:27 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I apologize mo I had not read the page of support, because I could not find it.

Thanks
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings,

PowerDVD 10 Ultra is supposed to be able to add some sort of 3D effects to non-3D (2D) movies and videos. Plus, a free update will be available later this summer to add support for the new 3D blu-ray format that is coming.

But you MUST have a new 3D TV/monitor with appropriate matching glasses AND a compatible 3D graphics card in your computer in order to use these new features. At present, these new TVs and monitors cost about $1000 more than their 2D counterparts. The video card must feed two separate digital video streams to the TV/monitor simultaneously at very high speed. You will not see a 3D image that uses this new technology if you still have a 2D TV/monitor or a 2D graphics card.

The type of 3D glasses you will need for the new system will totally depend on the 3D TV/monitor you chose to buy. There is more than one 3D technology at the display end and it looks like we're in for a repeat of the Beta vs. VHS or blu-ray vs. HD DVD battle all over again. If you buy a Sony 3D TV/monitor, you'll need Sony-compatible glasses. If you buy a Panasonic 3D TV/monitor, you'll need Panasonic-compatible glasses. Fortunately, I think that the same 3D graphics card will work with either. Plus, the new 3D blu-ray standard is also compatible with either. The only place where the new system diverges into multiple implementations is at the display end.

These new 3D systems are not related in any way to the old system that used glasses with multi-colored lenses. The old system overlaid two different color images into the same film frame (or the same video stream) and the colored lenses of the glasses enabled you to see a poor-quality 3D image. This system was never very good and it is completely unrelated to the new system. If you purchase a movie on blu-ray or DVD that uses this old system (like the recent movie "Journey to the Center of the Earth" with Brendan Fraser) it will still require you to use the appropriate multi-colored glasses (different movies sometimes required different colored lenses) and it will still work the same and be unaffected by the new 3D systems. This old system will also be compatible with any of the new 3D TV/monitors but, again, it is not very good and I doubt that you'll want to use it once you see how awesome the new systems are.

The new 3D systems are designed to provide the same higher-quality 3D image in your home that you see in the theater nowadays. These newer systems use a variety of glasses. Some uses polarized lenses. Some uses LCD shuttering. Again, the glasses you use are specific to the system you purchase (or, in the case of a movie theater, the system they are using).

I expect we'll see LOTS of questions on this subject in the coming months and years.

Kind regards, David
maher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2010 07:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
fine but what is the use of PowerDVD 10 on normal HD capable laptop screens if not able to turn the 2D dvd's or blue-ray's into 3D to some extent.
hence we still need to buy 3d glasses , 3D tv screen in addition as powedvd 10 is providing us with software ground only....?
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: fine but what is the use of PowerDVD 10 on normal HD capable laptop screens if not able to turn the 2D dvd's or blue-ray's into 3D to some extent. ...

Hi maher,

That's the point: With regard to the new 3D capability of PowerDVD 10 Ultra, it will do NOTHING for you if you use it with a 2D display and graphics card.

The purpose of the new 3D features in PowerDVD 10 Ultra are:

1 - Support the new emerging 3D display capability of new 3D blu-ray discs that are designed for the new 3D system. In addition to the PowerDVD 10 Ultra software, your PC will also need a 3D blu-ray drive, a 3D-compatible video card and a 3D display with appropriate glasses. In theory, you'll be able to watch the 3D blu-ray of "Avatar" (when it is released) and it will look as good as it did in the theater.

2 - Most of the movies available today are 2D. So, if you've gone to the expense of upgrading your system with a new 3D video card, display and glasses, then PowerDVD 10 Ultra offers one more feature: it will create a pseudo 3D effect for you with your older 2D blu-ray and DVD movies. But you still have to have the new 3D system to do this. Personally, I doubt that it will look very good---you can't get a good-looking 3D image from a 2D image---it's mostly a gimick in my opinion.

Again, the new 3D features in PowerDVD 10 Ultra will not do a single thing for you if you are using a 2D display system. So, this means that it will not do anything for the existing notebook computers UNLESS they have a video module that is compatible with the new 3D system and you can connect it to an external 3D display. The built-in 2D display of today's notebooks will not work with the new system.

Many folks are getting confused because they are aware that you can use multi-colored glasses with a 2D display and see a 3D image. But this technique produces a poor 3D image and it is not compatible with the new system. The new system requires two parallel video streams running at high speed. The blu-ray drive, video card and TV/monitor display ALL must have the appropriate circuitry for this. PowerDVD 10 Ultra simply provides the software support for PCs.

Kind regards, David
maher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2010 07:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I got the idea now ... many thanks David for clearing the matter
shpaniel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2010 17:07 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
If I have an Optoma EW536 Projector (HD and 3D Ready) with ZD101 3D Active Shutter Glasses (DLP-Link) am i able to view 3D using the following settings:

* 3D Ready HDTV (DLP)
o Native format: checkerboard
o Eye wear: Active shutter glasses
o Supported Hardware: Mitsubishi 1080p DLP HDTV, Samsung 3D Ready DLP HDTV

Help would be much appreciated, thanks!
Walid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 09, 2016 16:26 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have 3d LG monitors that support passive 3D with grey glass cinema view. Also my computer support 3D and windows 10. What version of power director supports passive 3D Thanks
Walid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 09, 2016 16:26 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have 3d LG monitors that support passive 3D with grey glass cinema view. Also my computer support 3D and windows 10. What version of power director supports passive 3D Thanks