Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Would you recommend it to a friend?
Grayvorn [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Feb 03, 2007 12:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Having played around (so to speak) with the PD trial version and other editing software trials, I have come the conclusion that PD is one of the most reliable, user friendly applications around.

When it came to forking out for the full version, I picked it up from Amazon for £45. This seemed to be good value for money given the cost of competitors and the functionality of the software.

Are we happy with PD5? Would you recommend it to a friend?

What do you like / dislike about it?

I think it represents good value for money. Its a pity about the choppy previewing - once I've got to about 5 mins worth of footage on the timeline. Having said that, I think this is a processor issue rather than a software problem. Core Duo processors will probably make this a thing of the past - I'm running on a 1.9 GHz P4 CPU. Nevertheless, I still manage to sych video clips and audio/effects together successfully as the choppiness takes a few seconds to kick in. On the whole, I think PD5 premium is great.

Now what's all this about PD6 for heaven's sake?
Terry [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Coleraine, Northern Ireland Joined: Feb 13, 2007 03:42 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am sure there are many users of PD5 that would be happy to recommend it to a friend but unfortunately I am not one of them. Yes, if you are happy to stick with XP, then o.k. it works, but buy a new PC with Vista then forget about PD.

PD5, fully patched, is claimed to be Vista ready but in my new high spec Dell Vista PC, the PD video capture (preview and record) freezes both the sound and video after a few frames of play but continues to display correctly the time code from the tape. Windows MovieMaker imports flawlessly using the same hardware. The Power Director Support are no help and have replied some 6 times with the same basic response ie uninstall/reinstall PD, disable/uninstall virus checkers, pop-up blockers, etc.

The Vista patch cannot be installed in the trial version of PD5 so after struggling with the capture problem for many weeks I decided only 2 weeks ago to purchase the full version but alas no joy, it still does not work.

Imagine my joy, to now discover that I can upgrade to PD6 for $60. Hmmmm! Dick Turpin springs to mind.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Terry,

I've sent you a PM...you ought to read it.

There is a period of grace for those that have purchased PD5P within a month of the new release date and they can upgrade without additional cost... there are some criteria proof etc etc that needs to be provided. I suggest contacting support asap. I'm not sure if this still applies for PD6 ...so hurry and ask.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2007 05:13

Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Liverpool UK Joined: Nov 21, 2006 19:11 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd

I upgraded to PD5P on 23rd Febuary, so on the basis that if you don't ask you don't get I've asked!

I'll let you know the outcome.

Tom
Terry [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Coleraine, Northern Ireland Joined: Feb 13, 2007 03:42 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I really do hope that the CyberLink company fully appreciate the good work you do in supporting the CyberLink Community. Customer support have replied to my query on upgrade request; " yes you are entitled for free upgrade to PowerDirector 6.0 software as you purchased the PowerDirector 5.0 with in last month. We are forwarding your request to our concern department so we can offer you free download upgrade to PowerDirector 6.0. We will get back to you as soon as we get the approval from our concern department."

Looks promising although I don't expect PD6 to do anything for my capture problem.

Many thanks again!

Terry
BradyB
Senior Member Location: Springfield, Illinois USA Joined: Feb 24, 2007 07:38 Messages: 153 Offline
[Post New]
I think PD5 is an awesome product.

I have am a very experienced PC user, but have never touched video editing before. I don't even know anyone who does video editing. I found out that this is a whole new world, There is a confusing array of video formats. There was a lot to learn.

My bride gave me a digital camcorder for Christmas, and I started playing around with trial versions of video editing software in January (Sonic, Ulead, and Cyberlink).

I purchased PD5 in February after recording a family trip to Texas for a wedding. I am continually amazed at the capabilities and user-friendliness of this product.

I burned a DVD of the trip and sent it to my brother in Texas. Here are his comments: "I think you have done this kind of thing before. I don't know where you learned to do all that but it sure makes an impressive display. Thanks for doing all that."

Going from idiot to guru in two months. It doesn't get much better than that.
armano [Avatar]
Newbie Location: El Salvador Joined: Jan 01, 2007 10:18 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Oh come on!
They should extend the offer from Dec. 2006.
Jajaj, I want my PD6 for free. I keep thinking that %60 USD to upgrade is too much. No more error messages!
No more crashes!
Great looking videos!!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I understand your concern "armano" on the upgrade pricing and have already raised the matter with CyberLink. PD6 has a lot of changes . I disagree with extending the "free" period back to Dec 2006, the suggestion made me smile.

Dafydd