Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 6 ummm
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Back in early January I was writing reports on the Beta version of PowerDirector 6 and noting changes and improvements that worked and others that needed to be added. One feature in particular made me smile as PiP finally has an audio timeline - something I have pushed for since version PD3. I have also been pushing for a number of other improvements and these also have been included (wide-screen support etc etc). As I write this posting I'm downloading the latest release of PD6 and will be up to speed on the product and ready to answer posted questions asap.

Press Release
For Immediate Release

CyberLink Releases PowerDirector 6, Video Editing Software for Creating Dynamic Home Movies
Includes improved Magic Tools and design features, widescreen and high definition video support

Taipei, Taiwan----March 13th, 2007----CyberLink Corp. (5203.TW), a world leader and pioneer in providing integrated solutions for the Digital Home, today released CyberLink PowerDirector 6, featuring an all-new DVD template designer; improved magic editing tools; advanced options for PiPs; support for widescreen aspect ratios and high-definition video; and access to quick and easy publishing on the web.

The latest version of CyberLink PowerDirector offers the following features:

- Improved Magic Tools: Magic Style, Magic Fix and Magic Clean
- All new DVD template designer for creating DVDs
- All new Slideshow Wizard for creating dynamic slideshows
- PiP designer for animating photos and objects on the screen with audio
- Video subtitle room permitting easy addition of subtitles to videos
- Improved transitions, titles and effects
- Support for high-definition video
- Support for 16:9 aspect ratio video content and menus
- Video publishing or storage through YouTube and MediaMax
- Write back to HDV Tape
- Output of video files in iPod or PSP formats

Dafydd

This message was edited 11 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2007 13:32

armano [Avatar]
Newbie Location: El Salvador Joined: Jan 01, 2007 10:18 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds interesting!
Any word on the price fro the UPGRADE from PD5 Premium? No more error messages!
No more crashes!
Great looking videos!!
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Liverpool UK Joined: Nov 21, 2006 19:11 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Upgrade price about USD 60.

I upgraded tp PD 5 Premium about 4 weeks ago, so I shall hold on for a bit yet.

Tom
Hall47
Member Location: Manchester UK Joined: Dec 14, 2006 05:32 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Have they addressed the issue of including still photographs with 16:9 video? or will the video still be compressed and the photos not making the two incompatible for showing on either a 4:3 OR wide screen TV. I've tried cropping photos, and masking them, but if the captured image is 16:9 compressed the photos still get distorted in the final production.

My only option seems to be to film in 4:3 with an eye to occupying the centre of the frame and then putting a mask on the PiP line for the duration of the project, and then viewing on either screen type works if PD is set to output as 4:3. Seeking wisdom - finding fluff - but wise fluff!
armano [Avatar]
Newbie Location: El Salvador Joined: Jan 01, 2007 10:18 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tom,
I was hopping it would be about $30 USD. I paid about $90 USD back in December 2006 for PD5Premium, I just checked the cyberlink website and they are selling PD6 for that same pric. I think paying $60 more for the new features it's a bit too much since some of them sound useless. No more error messages!
No more crashes!
Great looking videos!!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
Quote: Have they addressed the issue of including still photographs with 16:9 video? or will the video still be compressed and the photos not making the two incompatible for showing on either a 4:3 OR wide screen TV. I've tried cropping photos, and masking them, but if the captured image is 16:9 compressed the photos still get distorted in the final production.

You've raised a good test point. The digital camera still images are recorded to 4:3 and placing them in a 16:9 video time-line will not alter or change that. Mixing the two will leave black edges to the still images when displayed. Cropping images is do-able IF you select the correct dimensions of 16:9... for example an image cropped to 1440x810 will display in 16:9 without a problem while a digital image of 2272 x1704 is a 4:3 and will have the black edges.
Quote:
My only option seems to be to film in 4:3 with an eye to occupying the centre of the frame and then putting a mask on the PiP line for the duration of the project, and then viewing on either screen type works if PD is set to output as 4:3.

Inputing a PiP overlay and distorting it is one method... just as putting it in Titles and doing the same thing.

I do have software that will alter every frame of a 4:3 video file and create a 16:9.... and I have used this in the past. Image distortion is a problem for 4:3 images displayed at 16:9 or in a wide screen TV.

PD6 hasn't changed the situation...well not as far as I can see for the moment.

Dafydd
BradyB
Senior Member Location: Springfield, Illinois USA Joined: Feb 24, 2007 07:38 Messages: 153 Offline
[Post New]
It doesn't look like PD6 supports AVCHD format. Any idea when this will be available?
Dick Lane [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 13, 2006 12:24 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd, I used PDP5 to edit a Fly Tying movie with very little motion that seems to be 4.6Gb long at DVD HQ. Since I can only get about 4.3Gb on a single layer disc I need to compress it somewhat but not down to 2.5Gb. Would DVD Shrink do this after I render the 4.6Gb to HD?
Thanks, Dick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2007 12:04

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dick,
PD5 - should have posted this under a new heading.
PD5 Create to Disc - should be able to shrink to fit.

Get to the Create Disc stage of the process in PD5.
Go to Create Disc Preferences (spanner and screwdriver icon at the bottom)
Video Quality click the drop down selection
Choose "Smart Fit"

Dafydd
Jinx [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 20, 2007 12:09 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Tom,
I was hopping it would be about $30 USD. I paid about $90 USD back in December 2006 for PD5Premium, I just checked the cyberlink website and they are selling PD6 for that same pric. I think paying $60 more for the new features it's a bit too much since some of them sound useless.

I couldn't have said it better. I *JUST* bought this at Christmas time. I don't even think I've made but 2 videos, and already I have to push my investment to $150 just to get the software I could have had for $90 if I'd just waited?

This is a joke, right?

I'd also like the web site to provide a complete list of the "video effects" that are offered in the new package, because there's no list. How do I know if I want them?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2007 12:22

When you've hit bottom, you can't go any lower. But stuff can still fall on you.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jinx, I know you've passed comment on what Tom wrote and your own feelings but you might not have seen this posting. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/1065.page

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I've been sending instructional video to help various PD users for a little while. The video subjects revolve around "how to" and "you should" do this. I've decided to create a number of streaming video and post them online. While the first one I've created was done in a rush as i needed to check the web script I wrote...anyway you can find it here.
http://www.seemyworldonvideo.com/video4/default.asp

Remember to register on SeeMyWorldOnVideo.
http://www.seemyworldonvideo.com/video4/register.asp

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2007 13:51

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jinx,

Please visit: http://www.seemyworldonvideo.com/video4/default.asp
and look for the "Effects in PD6" under Video Training. It's been "dedicated" to "Jinx"

Dafydd
Join up..
http://www.seemyworldonvideo.com/video4/register.asp
Quote: I'd also like the web site to provide a complete list of the "video effects" that are offered in the new package, because there's no list. How do I know if I want them?
Jinx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Jinx,

Please visit: http://www.seemyworldonvideo.com/video4/default.asp
and look for the "Effects in PD6" under Video Training. It's been "dedicated" to "Jinx"

Thanks Dafydd. Unfortunately, although other videos on that site seem to work for me, I can't get that one to play. When you've hit bottom, you can't go any lower. But stuff can still fall on you.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jinx,

I've re-loaded the video...it worked fine earlier. I guess it could have become corrupted.

I've sent you an email. Thank you for letting me know, much appreciated.

Dafydd
Jinx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! Very helpful, Dafydd. Exactly what I needed to know. When you've hit bottom, you can't go any lower. But stuff can still fall on you.
ddyy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 28, 2006 06:16 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Have they addressed the issue of including still photographs with 16:9 video? or will the video still be compressed and the photos not making the two incompatible for showing on either a 4:3 OR wide screen TV. I've tried cropping photos, and masking them, but if the captured image is 16:9 compressed the photos still get distorted in the final production.

My only option seems to be to film in 4:3 with an eye to occupying the centre of the frame and then putting a mask on the PiP line for the duration of the project, and then viewing on either screen type works if PD is set to output as 4:3.

I found there is a new tool in PD6. You can right-click the photo clip on timeline. A context menu contains a "Set Image Stretch Mode". This helps
control stretch once I have mismatch between timeline and photo.
Haskew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2006 00:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I wanted everyone's opinion on upgrading to PD 6 from PD 5 Premium. My two main concerns are

The project file corruption issue, any better? I can not remember if you could duplicate this but it is most frustrating and at least with 5 I know what I'm up against.

I noticed in v4 and v5 when applying a video effect there is a loss of quality, has this been fixed? By loss of quality I mean it appears more "pixelated" with an effect than without.

Let me know, thanks!