Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Editing Captured Video
Iven [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2010 22:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Imported a video file that was captured with a Hauppauge HD PVR, and I was wondering is there any way to get rid of the unwanted parts of the video, so that its not takin up unnescessary memory on my computer? I looked at my options in Power Director, but didnt see any place where I could cut and delete unwanted parts of videos. Could be overlooking it or do I need to carry out this operation with a different program before I import to Power Director?

Thanks for any help
Iven R.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
place the video in the timeline to edit it. Use the split feature to separate the unwanted parts and then delete them. When you have it like you want it, produce it to your preferred format. It will not overwrite the original file, so if you are sure you are done with it, you have to delete it manually. This does not actually remove the parts. It just creates a new movie without them. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Iven,

There are several ways to do this, but basically you need to place the PVR file on the timeline, select it and then you can use the Split and Trim buttons to cut out the unwanted portions.

Once you are done cutting, produce the video as a new file that should be smaller, if you render it in a similar file format.

Hope that helps
Regards,
David
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2010 09:12 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hope it's not bad etiquette to come in on this but I have been having problem getting my head around the Trim function.

Like Iven have some captured video that I need to Trim. Basically, I have video that contains footage which is a mixture and becuase of the way it was captured on my camcorder is out of date sequence. I would like to cut and splice the video to produce video that is in chronolgical order or even to create separate videos for different time dates.

I have looked at the video on YouTube and unless I am understanding it incorrectly it says that if you place an In Marker in the Trim window anything to the left i.e before the In Marker will get deleted.

I have tried this and this seems to be the case which is frustrating as all my efforts only result in footage prior to the In Marker disappearing whereas I just want a section of video in the middle to be removed.

So far I have made some changes by using the Split function but this has mainly been where the unwanted footage is at the beginning.

Would appreciate any help as I'm sure I'm not following things correctly.

Eric [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2010 10:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Chris,
Here is what I do:

Use "Split" before and after the section you want to remove.

Left click on the unwanted section (in timeline) to select it.

Right click, then left click on "remove"

Eric

Chris [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Eric

Thanks, do you know if you can still use the Trim window to get a really accurate place to split? The Timeline isn't anywhere near as accurate I don't think.

As I said the tutorial video is very confusing for a novice at is seems to say all the video left of the In Marker is deleted, if this is true seems strange.

Chris
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Try expanding/shrinking the timeline by clicking and dragging on the timeline interval markers or using the slider at the bottom left of the timeline tracks section.

The timeline expands to frame level.

The . and , keys act to forward and reverse a frame at a time.

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Eric [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2010 10:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Chris,

Try doing what I said, using what vn800rider said to find what frame you want to split at. (thanks Adrian)

This will eliminate using the "Trim" window.

For me, I find the Trim window useless.

Eric
Chris [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies, will give your ideas a go.

Chris
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Everyone,

For what it’s worth, just one more comment on the Trim versus Split debate here.

Remember, when using Split (even with the timeline expanded to a frame by frame basis), you can only place a Split at every 4th frame.
If you use Trim, you can trim at each individual frame.

For example, using Trim, you can trim on a frame by frame basis, and if desired, only retain one single frame of your footage.
However, using Split will only allow you to split out at every 4th frame, thus you can retain a minimum of 3 frames of your footage.

So if you are for example, syncing imported music to your project, or doing something similar that requires the precision of making adjustments at the single frame level, that is where the Trim function is an essential part of your arsenal of editing tools available in PD. It is far from useless, as it is the most precise option you have when trimming up your video.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 22. 2010 21:42

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Chris [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi cranston

Thanks for the input. I had assumed initially that the Trim window was more precise so what you say makes sense.

My query with Trim is, as I have said, is that the tutorial states that footage to the left of the In Marker is deleted, or at least that's what I think it is saying.

Perhaps you clear the fog for me. If for example I wish to remove footage in the middle of a clip, leaving the footage either side in tact, what is the correct procedure.

Perhaps a step by step (idiots) guide by a user will make it all clear to me, hope so anyway.

Thanks

Chris
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chris,

First, when you say:
If for example I wish to remove footage in the middle of a clip, leaving the footage either side in tact, what is the correct procedure.
I assume you want to leave the footage on either side “intact”, as you then want to trim each of them up a bit too?

Let me give you just the very basics, of the basic workflow in PD8's Master Track, and then you can expand upon these basics, as your familiarity with PD8 grows, and things start to become more self evident.

Let's say you have a 20 minute (20:00:00) clip up in your library, and let's call that the Master Clip (MC).
Now lets say you only want these segments from the Master clip…
C-1 (01:00:00 through 16:05:00)
C-2 (17:10:00 through 18:10:00)
C-3 (19:05:00 through 19:22:00)
End

Drag your MC down into the timeline, and with Trim, set your markers to the C-1 in/out points. What is now retained will be C-1.
Now drag your MC into the timeline again, to the right of C-1, and with Trim, set your markers to the C-2 in/out points. What is retained will be C-2, and it will "snap to" your C-1.
Do the same again to retain C-3, and now you will have those three "trimmed" clips, side by side in the timeline.
And now you can apply transitions, or insert other footage or images, between those clips, and keep building your project.
That's the very basic basics of how it all works in PD8.

But it would probably be quicker (using the scenario above), to just use Split, and Split out what sequences of the MC you want, and then just delete the segments in your timeline (between your Splits), that you don't want. You'll get the same result. And remember, you can still use Trim on a Split clip, if you find you need a tighter single frame level edit than what the initial Split gave you.

Or you could use the MultiTrim tool.

It just depends on the project and the media your working on, and your personal preferences, as which works best, and when.

And one other thing. Some editing programs allow you save any clips you've trimmed in the Master track, as a new individual clip that can be placed back in editor's library if desired.
P8, unfortunately, does not allow this. The only way to save a single trimmed out portion of your Master Clip, is to first Produce it to a separate file. Then that new file will now appear in your Library along side your other clips, after it has been produced.

That’s the very basics of editing in the Master Track. The PIP tracks work a little differently, as things can freely be moved around and between the PIP tracks.

Hope this helps a little Chris.
Good luck!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 23. 2010 22:36

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Chris [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info.

Yes you are correct in your assumption about what I want to edit.

Will follow what you suggest and see how I get on. I'm sure I'll get there in time.

Chris
chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2010 12:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Cranston for your help.
One more question. You say "In Trim" to set the input/ output markers and then the portion in between the markers will be retained. Do you mean I should click on "Trim" first and then set the markers and click on "Trim" again?
I guess I'm asking, What does "In Trim" mean and once the markers are set what causes that section to be trimmed out? Having set the markers do I click trim or remove or cut or what???

Thanks in advance: Another Chris
[Post New]
Quote: Chris,

Try doing what I said, using what vn800rider said to find what frame you want to split at. (thanks Adrian)

This will eliminate using the "Trim" window.

For me, I find the Trim window useless.

Eric

Yes, the Trim window is indeed useless! Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Cranston for your help.
One more question. You say "In Trim" to set the input/ output markers and then the portion in between the markers will be retained. Do you mean I should click on "Trim" first and then set the markers and click on "Trim" again?
I guess I'm asking, What does "In Trim" mean and once the markers are set what causes that section to be trimmed out? Having set the markers do I click trim or remove or cut or what???

Thanks in advance: Another Chris

It appears you cannot remove a piece of video from the middle of a clip. This is useless!
This tutorial just shows how to remove a piece from the beginning of the clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osj2FVDcm5Y
Anyone knows that removing a piece from the middle of a clip vastly outnumbers the times you just want to remove a piece from the beginning of the clip. Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM