Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can original video clip be permanently trimmed/shortened?
Greg142 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2010 08:50 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,
I have an original video clip recorded in PD8 that has a lot of blank space at the end of it (several hours in fact) and I would like to trim or cut it off of the "good" part.
I have done a lot of searching on this topic but I can't seem to find any information about it. I'm sure it's a simple task but it has eluded me so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Greg

Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Greg;

Split it at the point where the 'good' bit ends; then select the other portion so has blue border round it then delete it.

Produce whats left as a separate file in whatever format you choose

Hope that helps

Ed Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Greg142 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Ed, for the reply!

Just so I'm clear on this, will that also delete the blank portion (permanently) from the original file on my computer? I was assuming it wouldn't because I thought that working in the timeline was non-destructive to the original file?
In my case I DO want to change the original because I want to permanently get rid of the blank footage to reduce the size of the file stored on my computer.

Greg
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Greg,

I thought I would add a bit of personal experience to lend a hand.

I use a Sony HD SR12 camcorder and it came with its own software to edit the movie clips that were taken. It allows you to "Split" the video and then "overwrite" the original file. I am not sure what setup you currently have but many Digital Cameras come with it's own software that allows you to do some basic editing. The Sony camera will even allow you to do this from within the camera itself. For instance, you forgot to hit the "Stop Record" button and you have a 60 minute shot of the camera being carried on a strap around your neck focusing on your feet walking along!! Now I am not admitting publicly that I have actually done this....but if I did, I can edit the bad footage right in the camera.

If this is not the case for you ( no software available) there is third party software out there that can "Cut out pieces" of the video clip and then save it to a new file. It does not require the clip to be "Rendered" (reprocessed), thus saving valuable time if you have lots of clips to do this to.

I hope this adds some information that is helpful to you.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2010 11:05

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2010 16:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
HI Greg, I just recently asked a very similar question. When you go through the produce process, you are creating a whole new file, so the original is going to still have all the junk on it you don't want.

Check the thread I started to see about rendering quickly using the same format you captured with to save you the most time.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/10502/ENU.page#46696
Greg142 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.

I think, in my case, I'll just re-capture the video and make sure I stop it when it's over (as opposed to what I did last night which was start the recording/capture process on a two-hour vhs tape and let it run over night). I was hoping that PD8 would automatically stop recording when the video signal was no longer there but it just kept right on truckin' and that's how I ended up with about 7 hours worth of blank footage at the end of the clip.

It would be handy if a person could directly edit the original clip by splitting or trimming it, etc., by just highlighting the original clip and clicking on a Split or trim button and then delete the unwanted portion of the clip.....hint hint.

Thanks again,
Greg
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
Greg,
If all you need to do first is trim the unwanted footage, do a google search for mpeg splitter or avi splitter. There are plenty of freeware options out there and they may do the job for you. You can then edit in PD as you wish.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Greg142 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Adrian.

Maybe that feature will be in a future upgrade.

Greg

Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2010 16:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I was hoping that PD8 would automatically stop recording when the video signal was no longer there but it just kept right on truckin' and that's how I ended up with about 7 hours worth of blank footage at the end of the clip.

You can use the time limit feature when you are capturing. That's what I used on my stuff.. I would first go to the end of the tape, reset the counter and rewind on the VCR/Hi8 then set the timer in PD8 to stop after x amount of time. It works pretty well...
just_for_fun [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 23, 2010 11:41 Messages: 111 Offline
[Post New]
streamclip is a free splitter that does a really good job on sd and windows xp
Does not support AVCHD and has a hard time on windows 7 Just For Fun
i7 Core@3.8ghz 6gig mem 3 HDD geForce8400
Canon HF S20
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
You can use Windows Movie Maker to do the same thing.... Thats what I use to clip videos apart... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link