Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Split large clips (quickly)
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2010 16:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm new to PowerDirector 8 (and video editing for that matter) and just spend the last few weeks dumping probably 100 hours of video to my computer. I'm now to the stage of trying to organize this mess and have some clips that are 4 hours long.

My goal is to cut everything into smaller pieces based on event or date so I can easily make some DVD's or whatever.

Is there a way to split videos without having to go through the "Produce" process every time?
Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
One thing that may be able to help you do what you want.....
"....you can produce multiple created movie projects at one time from within the Edit window using the Batch Produce feature."
To perform a batch production, click on the 'Director's Chair' (upper left corner in PD) hover over 'File" and click on 'Batch Produce'.
(Check in the PD HELP file. Search for 'batch'....)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 11. 2010 20:20

The best thing about PD is the people in the Forums !!!
Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2010 16:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Bob, I think that is going to help greatly. I also had a PM that let me know that if I use the same output as what it was originally captured with that I could avoid encoding time - but I'm not sure what the default is for capturing DV media? (I do know that it's MPEG2 but not sure what specific settings)
Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
Hello again, (don't know if this will help, but.....)

1. Find out what your videos' Proerties are...
(right click on a clip in the library or on the timeline and click on PROPERTIES)

2. Then find out how much 'Rendering' PD will do to your vids based on what format you choose to produce them.
Match the colors in the key to the colors on the timeline to see what will or will not be rendered.
(this is a fun feature to play with... I try to get rendering % down low)
>>> (go to: Director's Chair, View, SVRT Information)
...NOTE: every time you alter a 'variable' you must re-click the 'Update SVRT info' button. (located towards the bottom of the window.)

The less rendering of your files by PD, the less time PD will take in producing them. Plus, knowing your files' properties helps when talking to other folks about issues, etc. Always check your finished product to be sure it has the quality and file size that you can live with.
Sounds like a lot of work, but PD is the best you can buy at this price and the folks in the forum are usually quick to help you out, unless they've been out partying the night B4. The best thing about PD is the people in the Forums !!!
Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21