Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Changing Resolution
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Nov 24, 2009 17:04 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Can we use PD8 to change a video resolution? I created a video file so I could upload of my online photo account (smugmug). The uploaded video is squashed. They do accept 16:9 format but the resolution must be either 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

I tried looking for the resolutio of my file in PD8 but can't seem to find it.

If PD cannot change resolution, what can I use to do this?

Rgds
Patrick
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Patrick,

If you want to find the resolution of your original video or the produced video just right click on the video in the Media room and check properties. The properties dialogue box will show the resolution.

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Nov 24, 2009 17:04 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Patrick,

If you want to find the resolution of your original video or the produced video just right click on the video in the Media room and check properties. The properties dialogue box will show the resolution.

I tried that yesterday on the produced video but the resolution was not in the properties. I'll have a look tonight but can PD8 convert to another resolution? If no, what can I use?

Thanks
Pat

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
So are you saying when you went to properties the video square did not have any information?

Regarding PD changing the resolution of videos you can do it when you produce the video by choosing a different resolution. I have done this a couple of times just experimenting with up scaling my 1280X720 video to 1920X1080 which are both 16:9.

I haven't tried going from 16:9 to 4:3 but I would say if your produced video is squashed you may have chosen to change a 16:9 video to 4:3. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: So are you saying when you went to properties the video square did not have any information?

Regarding PD changing the resolution of videos you can do it when you produce the video by choosing a different resolution. I have done this a couple of times just experimenting with up scaling my 1280X720 video to 1920X1080 which are both 16:9.

I haven't tried going from 16:9 to 4:3 but I would say if your produced video is squashed you may have chosen to change a 16:9 video to 4:3.

Yes, I right-clicked the produced video and I could not find the resolution. I did find this strange.

Smugmug informs that they do 16:9 but need the resolutions I mentioned on my 1st post.

Would I be able to use PD8, go back to the original PD8 project and then re-produce to say Mpg2 video and choose the resolution from where-ever that feature is? Where do I select to change resolution from?

Rgds
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
When you produce the video, just choose a new resolution and that's what the movie will be when done. Just make sure the project is 16:9 or HD options won't be available in Produce. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Robert2 S
[Post New]
You can always go back to your original project as long as you haven't moved the original videos. Just open the project to produce and experiment. There are so many options to choose from it is hard to suggest a setting or format.

I usually try to produce in the same format and resolution of the raw video and vary the bit rate if I need a smaller video in megabytes. So maybe that would be a good place to start. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: When you produce the video, just choose a new resolution and that's what the movie will be when done. Just make sure the project is 16:9 or HD options won't be available in Produce.

Thanks.
Will there be a few resolution selections or do i have to manually type something in?

I only produced a video once to mpeg2 so I am uncertain.

Rgds
Pat
Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: You can always go back to your original project as long as you haven't moved the original videos. Just open the project to produce and experiment. There are so many options to choose from it is hard to suggest a setting or format.

I usually try to produce in the same format and resolution of the raw video and vary the bit rate if I need a smaller video in megabytes. So maybe that would be a good place to start.

Ok, thanks Robert.

Rgds
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
There will be different resolutions. Which ones just depends one which format you choose. MPEG 2 has quite a few. AVCHD has a few less, but still several. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: There will be different resolutions. Which ones just depends one which format you choose. MPEG 2 has quite a few. AVCHD has a few less, but still several.

Many Thanks