Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to upload movies created in PD8 to my Canon HG20 Full HD camera?
Katzenkopf1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2010 05:45 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have downloaded PowerDirector trial version 8.00.2508. I'm happy with features, stability and performance and I intend to buy the full version. Now I want to do the following:
1.import clips from my HG20 camera (MTS format) into PD8
2.create M2TS movies (AVCHD 1920x1080, 24 Mbit/s, PAL)
3.copy the results back to my HG20 in order to take them with me and show them on a Full HD screen via HDMI

Steps 1 and 2 work perfectly with PD8. However step 3 fails. A simple copy to the USB camera drive G: doesn't work, the camera doesn't see the file at all or at least can't play it. Obviously the camera expects a certain BDMV directory structure with correct CLIPINF and index files.

The only way to bring movies back to the camera is to use the software Imagemixer which came bundled with the camera. With Imagemixer, I can
1.download the MTS files from the camera or import existing MTS or M2TS files into the Imagemixer library
2.edit the movies (with many limitations and bugs, that's why I want to do this now in PD
3.upload the results to the camera
So step 1 and 3 would solve my problem.

But now the bad thing: in step 1, when I try to import the M2TS files created by PD8, Imagemixer claims that they have a wrong format. So there is no way for me to bring PD8 movies back to my camera.

Does anybody have an idea how to solve my problem? Hans-Peter
near Ingolstadt
Germany
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Contact Canon, they make the file generator/reader within the camera.

Many of us have tried a similar action and failed - it's the camera manufacturers you need to approach. This is NOT a PD issue.

Thanks

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2010 11:17

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hans,

I have been using the same camera for over a year and have never been able to upload files produced with PD8 back to the camera. I have not tried contacting Cannon. Good luck. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Aaron Richards [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Jan 21, 2010 16:20 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Hans-Peter

You cant do it. Once files have been modified at all, Imagemixer wont allow them. Imagemixer is terrible and slow to use. That is why I use PD8. I still use Imagemixer to copy video from Canon camcorder to my laptop.

I bought a WD TV live, It allows you to plug in a USB memory stick, or external hard drive, and plays FULL HD Video footage via a HDMI to any TV/Monitor ect.

The WD TV Live is only small too, so easy to carry around and take to other people to show them your video.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I know no camera allows you to load edited video back to the camera for re-broadcast through the camera.

I wish they would allow this as my Sanyo HD1010 has a fantastic little dock that allows me to show raw video straight from my camera to any TV. Because the camera won't allow this I have to either burn it to DVD/Blu-ray or buy a media player. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Katzenkopf1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you guys!
I tried to "cheat" the camera with different video formats generated with PD8, Pinnacle, Magix, but without success. It seems to be very sensitive regarding the file/directory structure. It doesn't play a record even if I only swap the names of 2 original files on the camera!!
Also copying a PD8 generated blue ray file structure to the camera doesn't work.
I have not contacted Canon. Probably they don't disclose the "secret" format and structure. And even if they did so, we would need a software that manipulates the camera directory.

So thanks again!

Hans-Peter Hans-Peter
near Ingolstadt
Germany
Katzenkopf1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
All,

I found a way how to cheat Imagemixer and the camera:
- make a 2 seconds (1 second is obviously not sufficient) record "black screen" with your HG20
- via USB connection, import the original .MTS file from the camera directly into your PD8 media library
- insert it as first clip of your movie
- if you like, remove the audio from this clip (by split audio and delete)
- keep all other tracks clean for these 2 seconds
- after the 2 seconds intro, create your movie as you are used to do it
- produce the movie in format "AVCHD 1920x1080 (24 Mbps)", PAL (in my country) with SVRT selected
- import the produced .M2TS file into Imagemixer (hey, it works!)
Actually the 2 seconds intro was copied without any modification to the output file and Imagemixer has no reason to refuse
- from within Imagemixer, write the imported file back to the camera

It takes very long for Imagemixer to calculate the M2TS and to upload it to the camera. The MTS file on the camera has only 2/3 of the M2TS file size. But surprisingly, when you play the movie from your HG20 via HDMI on a Full HD screen (47" in my case), there is no sensible loss of quality compared to the original record.

Have fun!

Hans-Peter Hans-Peter
near Ingolstadt
Germany