Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Voice over
[Post New]
What microphone would you recommend to buy to get a crisp studio like audio for voice overs. Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
TheShadowman
Member Location: St Albans, Herts, United Kingdom Joined: Dec 31, 2009 12:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andy

I use a Logitec headset for PD8 with very good results. It's the same one I use for Skype.

What I did find was that the quality of the sound was far better when plugged into the front of the PC against be plugged in the rear input.

I hope this helps

Robert
Keith Widdup [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2009 10:14 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Andy
I use a cheapy headset bought from Tesco's, I found this worked better than some far more expensive.
I also find that there's less mains hum if you use the front mic input, to many mains cables at the rear.

Keith
George1938
Senior Member Location: Northern & Central New York, Summer & Orlando, FL winter Joined: Jun 20, 2009 04:58 Messages: 162 Offline
[Post New]
Andy,

Do a web search and check out Audio Technica AT2020 USB mic which will cost over a $100 but is well worth the price if you want studio like quality. I tried a couple cheapies before settling on this mike and very pleased as you require a condenser mike for quality voice over.

George

Dell Studio XPS 9100
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
64 Bit Operating Sytem
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1248 MB Memory

Canon HF S21 & Canon HG21
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
I require a tutorial of some sort which begins at the beginning of doing a voice over. All of my hardware and software seems to be working fine, but I do not see anything that tells me "how to" sufficiently to make the necessary configuration choices.

Anything will be appreciated.

Bohn Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
George1938
Senior Member Location: Northern & Central New York, Summer & Orlando, FL winter Joined: Jun 20, 2009 04:58 Messages: 162 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bohn,
I am using XP, but I would first go to Control Panel and open Sounds and Audio Properties, open the Voice Tab and make sure your microphone is the Default device under voice recording. Then click volume and set at approx. 80%.

Next open Power Director, go to Voice Over Recording Room, under Device select desired microphone which will show the 80% volume and click ok.

Next click on Profile and under Name I would choose CD Quality as the preferred.

You may or may not want to change preferences.

(Note Device & Profile have to be selected each and every time you open PD)
Now note the Red record button will be greyed out until you have a clip placed in the Timeline and you must be within the clip time frame to be red. You will then most likely want to mute the audio in the clip during voice over and adjust after recording if desired and the same for the music track if any.

Now click the Red Button and start speaking or recording and click again when you want to stop. Your recording should show as a Capture wav file in the voice track and be added to the Library Room with the video clips.

See if you are happy on playback, if not re-record and you may want to trim the file as well as adjust the volume with the recording, or the video clip or the music track.

How you speak in to the mic can be critical as will be external noise, etc. and some mics will also give you and optional control panel as well.

Regards,
George Dell Studio XPS 9100
64 Bit Operating Sytem
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM

Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi George,

Thanks for your reply and sound advice

I did what you said, but no success. Fortunately, your advice led me to the control panel and I was able to test my hardware, which I know is good from other uses. The computer knows the mike is pluged in and it says all audio devices are good. However, the mike fails the test accessible through control panel. I tried unplugging the mike while the computer was on and it gave a distinct static sound when I did so.

It looks like the mystery has deepened. I recently plugged in a new video card, a Radeon HD 4670. Earlier, I was using an onboard Nvidea GeForce set up. Perhaps this has something to do with it.

At any rate, thanks again for your kind support. Perhaps I will not be able to do voice overs after all.

Regards,

Bohn Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
George1938
[Post New]
Hi Bohn,
Ok, if you fail the Test Hardware then something is most likely not either installed or selected correctly or a defect somewhere. I doubt if the video card has anything to do with it and the static sound does not validate the proper setup.

You did not say what kind of mic you have and how connected, so again under Sounds & Audio Device Properties - Voice Recording the correct device is selected. If correct and fails Test Hardware next step would be Device Manger under System in Control Panel

Again I have to refer to XP, but look for Sound, video and game controllers & expand to see what is installed. In my case USB Audio Device, Properties it lists my AT2020 mic which states is working properly under the General Tab. Next check the Properties tab and expand all to see all devices and click Properties as it states to use or not to use this device. If ok then next tab is Driver as you may not have the correct drivers installed.

If everything is ok and still doesn't work than I would do a backup, and uninstall your mic under Device Manager and then reboot the computer and then should get Found New Hardware and start over as again you must past the Test Hardware for your mic.

George Dell Studio XPS 9100
64 Bit Operating Sytem
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM

Pax 123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi George,

Thanks for your help. I will follow your guidance in diagnosing my audio issue. I use Windows XP home. I am beginning to see the wisdom of Dafydd's requests for information concerning hardware and equipment. I will buckle down and learn how to do screen captures, etc. and post my info.

I have much to learn. You responded to my very first message of this sort. I have never participated in a forum before. I have business to address most of the day, but will launch further efforts into the audio problem later in the day.

I saw what you said about the Audio-Technica mike. I have been using an audio technica PRO 88WR wireless mike in making vidoe recordings of regular presentations, with very satisfying results. Now, I find that I need to narrate a large number of voice overs in connection with the recordings. Your experience with the 2020 makes me wonder if I would see significant improvements over the 88WR lavelier mike for the purpose of voice overs. Your opinion would be greatly valued. I will also check with Audio-Technica, but they are in the business of selling things.

Bohn Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2