Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best Output format for AVI files for Playstation 3
Elektrohead [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2010 10:53 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am new to PD8 and purchased it to work on a load of Mini DV tapes I had from my old Sony camcorder that I have on my hard drive as AVI files most of which are about 12gb in size.

I would like to add a few simple fades and titles and then dump these to the Playstation 3 hard drive to view.

I have a 50" full HD plasma that I will be viewing these on so would like the best quality I can get (I like the idea of the true theatre upscaling in PD.

I am a little lost on what the best format to output these movies is to get the best quality and upscaling and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there -

There are 3 profiles available for producing to .AVI... the best one to use for your purposes will depend on the properties of the original files.

In order of file size & bitrate (highest to lowest):

1. Windows-AVI (doesn't support wide screen)
2. DV-AVI
3. DivX

Why not do a test (with a short clip) to see which looks best?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Stay away from the MPEG 4, although the DivX works well with the PS3. The DVD HQ setting upscales well, but I only have a 26" 720p television, so I don't know how it would look at 50". As mentioned, a lot depends on the original format. I'm guessing it is not HD. I never had much luck with AVCHD on the PS3, but my laser went out before I got to try a AVCHD DVD disc. And of course, DV is a good option. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
AVCHD on the PS3 works great although I didn't used PD8 to make the 2 disks I tested it with .

(I used a Sony app that came with the camera.) Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card
Elektrohead [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your replies,

I did not really want to use AVI as the output format.

Just to clarify, I will be puting these directly on hard disc and not to DVD/BD

What would be the best options based on my original needs ie: upscaling, best quality for 50" Plasma (Full HD).

ie: best image and sensible file size (found AVI really large) but I did not want to compress it so that it reduced quality.

Any help would be really great.

Thanks
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
It is probably in 480i format now, so try just a short clip in 720p and choose to have PD enhance the video. Be warned, this may take a long, long time if the video is long. Play that and see how it looks. You could also try one in 480 and compare. With the upscaling you may not even need to use enhance. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Elektrohead [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your help so far,

A couple more questions and I think I'll be sorted...

Is there any point in using the 1920 x 1080 setting ? or is this just using more disc space for no image gain ?

and what would be the best format for quality ? AVCHD or MPEG 2 and if so what sub setting.

Really appreciate all your support in helping me get my head around this.

Also noticed that when I click Hardware decoder on the produce page I end up with a jerky image ? I am using a GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card (does not happen when I deselect this)
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

If as you have said you don't wish to put AVI on your PS3, then I would have captured in mpeg in the first instance.

Assuming your work is in SD widescreen, and you want to use mpeg2 via the DVD HQ setting in 'Produce', then the AVI files you currently have will have to be entirely re-encoded.

Had you imported in mpeg2 to start with, you could have produced your work as mpeg2 DVDHQ and used SVRT. That way only your transitions and video enhancements would have been re-encoded.

As a result, the finished file would have been much the same quality as the original which is as good as, in my opinion, as you'll get.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2010 18:36

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
James Dotson
[Post New]
The best quality would be like Andrew said, copy them from the tape to your hard drive in MPEG 2 HQ. I'm not sure if there is an option to capture in 720p, but that may also work if the source is wide screen. 1080 will give you better quality, but upscaling from standard definition to full HD may just make the quality worse. That is something you would just have to try and see how it looks. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM