Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cut and paste Audio
Raymond [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2010 16:08 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Overview:

I have two movies, Movie A ... and Movie B.

Movie A and Movie B both have their own audio track.

I want to copy a 5 seconds section of audio track from movie A.
I then need to paste that 5 second section onto the audio track of movie B
replacing the existing 5 seconds of audio.

the user guide has information about trimming and muting. But nothing about cut and paste. Is this possible with PowerDirector 8?

If anyone has done this sort of thing I would be grateful for any guidance you can offer.

Ray.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2010 11:37

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Option 1.
Video files are in Media Library
Right Click and select "Extract Audio"
Place the created audio (that's now in Media Library) into the audio time line.
Locate the audio you want using the Split option to remove the unwanted audio.

Option 2.
Use this method to duplicate a section: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#43359

Option 3.
Right click on the audio in the Video track
select Split Audio
Audio is no longer linked to the video and can be repositioned and edited.

Ok, I've given you 3 options and briefly described each.

If that doesn't work please allow me to use a sledge hammer, I'm pretty good at using one to drive in a wooden fence stake - as per your comment: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10017.page#44063

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2010 13:44

Raymond [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

Thank you for the feedback.

Here is what I have done.

1) Extracted Audio from movie B
2) Imported Audio into Media Library
3) Put the imported Audio onto music track 1
4) Found the beginning of the 4 sec section of Audio on Music Track 1
5) Split the track at that point
6) Moved the cursor to the end of the 4 sec section of audio on Music Track1
7) Spit the track again.
Deleted using the Delete key each section to the left and right of the 4 seconds of audio on Music Track 1.
9) I then located the 4 second section I needed to replace on the Voice track and split the voice track at the begining and end and then deleted that 4 second section
10) I then dragged the 4 second section from the Music Track 1 and positioned it in the 4 second hole left in the voice track.

This seems to have worked quite well and that the section of audio with video etc is ok.
However... for some reason the audio to the left of the edit now appears to be drifted out of sync with the video. Audio is lagging the video by about 2 seconds.

It there a way to resync the audio?

Best Regards

Ray.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2010 07:12

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Raymond,
Not having a screenshot, I'll give a general suggestion.

1. Split the audio and move it so it becomes in sync again
2. Check what or where the out of sync occurred - sometimes triggered by the inclusion of an additional function/effect you've added.
3. What was the video source, video extension, method of capture?

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2010 08:11

Raymond [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I think I've got it fixed. Though it involved a lot of moving and sliding about on the 3 pieces of audio (begining section, inserted 4 secs and last section)

I'm just glad this project is very simple. The problem with this software is that it is quite counter intuitive for first time users. It's not so much a movie editing suite as a movie compiler and the construction window is about objects, effects and views (windows) operating on a collection of multi-media elements. We are in effect working with source files to produce and output or executable, very much a programmers view of how things should be done! As a software engineer I'm quite happy with this paradigm, unfortunately IMHO Cyberlink have taken this way to far and have consequently made the simplest of things way more complicated they they should be. To cut and paste one section of audio over another should be easy and it's not. I have to introduce a separate element, define the part which i do need, exlude the bit's i don't need yada yada yada. I understand the paradigm I just don't think it's really helpful or user friendly. I mean why can i invert my video trim but not do the same on an audio track? Where are the anchor's so I can work from a reference point and snap and lock elements together? And the constant auto switching between clip view and movie view and jumping back to the start of the project is driving me nuts )

For the money though it's good value and I'm going to persevere with it...

Cyberlink would do well to get a room full of prospective customers on PC's using this software for the first time and get their UI designers to study what happens...

Best Regards

Ray.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Raymond,
Copy and paste is really simple.

Highlight the clip
Select copy
Move the scrubber/slider to where you want the clip
Click paste.

It has never been a problem.

re your suggestion.

I have been giving suggestions on functionality and features since version two. Regular contributors to this forum have made many suggestions. Please take the time to use the software before commenting, especially when you appear to be asking some rather basic questions. You need to learn to "play" first rather than scribble questionable dissertations!

There are video tutorials and help information http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/55.page

The user interface is intuitive and easy to navigate - big bold icons with dialogue info displays, gee, come on, it isn't hard to look at or to click on a button!

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2010 10:33

Raymond [Avatar]
[Post New]
The scruber selects both video and audio. If you select the audio track and then try to use the scrubber it will default back to audio and video together.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2010 10:39

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
NO, you're not seeing the simplicity of the instruction.
Just highlight the audio or title or other part of a timeline.
select copy
Then move the slider/scrubber as a position placement.
Then click paste

Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Post New]
another thing to note.

Highlight the clip
Select copy
Move the scrubber/slider to where you want the clip
Click paste.

PASTE option might not be available in the menu UNLESS you are right clicking with your mouse pointer within audio/music tracks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2010 12:35

Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
Raymond [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is possible to work with just the audio track, hoorah! You need to lock all the other tracks first. Then the scrubber will work with just the audio track.

Hmmm throws the audio out of sync... more head scratching required.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2010 13:18