Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 8 Download and Activation
DOM670 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 29, 2010 09:22 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys...I am new to Cyberlink and just a little unclear on the EXTENDED DOWNLOAD SERVICE...Here's my question:

If I needed to reinstall and download PowerDirector 8 and I still had my key, couldn't i just redownload the trial version and activate it with my key anyways?

If this is true then why would i need to purchase the EXTENDED DOWNLOAD SERVICE? Anyone have any experience with this?

I have already purchased PowerDirector 8 but would like to know for future references. Just in case i decide to purchase anymore of their products.

Thanks!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I believe extended download services started back in the day when dial up internet was still king. I always recommend that you download all files, paste the key and related info into a text file, and burn it all to a CD. That way if you need to reinstall you already have it. I even burn it all again when I have an update available. Maybe someone can give you a reason for it, but as I see it computers have come far enough to make it virtually unnecessary. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Send a support ticket to the technical support, found under [SUPPORT] above.

They will provide you with a link where from you could download full version of PowerDirector 8 built 2508 as well as Content_Pack for extra menus, pips, music. You save the two files somewhere safe in case you need to re-install PD8 in the future. Keep you activation key with those files as well. Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Jaime and Andy have provided sound information.

You can NOT activate the trial version using the activation key.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I have download the trial version on my second computer and activated with my key that Cyberlink has provided for me...Comparing the two downloads (Trial and Retail) they are essentially the same thing.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dom670,

Well, not exactly, The full version (240mb) is supplied with the 'Contents Pack' (449mb) which contains, all the SmartSound\effects\PiP Objects\Particles\Titles and Transitions which are not included with the trial version.

You need the full version of PDR8 Program in order to install the Contents Pack.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
RobertJ/OZ

Ha...Thanks for the clear up...I was just talking about the installer itself..I have saved my Content Pack and installed the Content Pack just fine when I activated the trial version with my key...My main concern was why would I need to buy the Extended Download Service if the trial which i could activate with my key is available...Simply I was curious if there was something I did not know about the Extended Download Service just in case i made future purchases to see if i really needed it or not...Thanks!
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
RobertJ/OZ,

Also is there a way I can be sure and verify that the Content Pack installed all the music and stuff. Just to be sure...Thanks!
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I ask this because when i add pics to the time line and click on magic music it seems that i have to purchase a lot of them in order to add them to the timeline...Is this normal?
[Post New]
Dom,

That is true. You have one-two tracks available per category, the rest you will have to buy.

The question is, when they offer the whole CD for $99, does it cover all of the songs visable in the sole category, like Jazz/POP or Classic? Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dom670,

As Andy has stated, the Contents Pack includes 26 SmartSound titles, you will find that if you require additional titles, your best option will be to go to SmartSound direct, they have a much greater range available

http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/music.html

And Jaime has answered your other question, if you copy your downloaded programs to disc or flash drive, you do not need the extended download service

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 04. 2010 00:06

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks everyone for your input! Much Appreciated!
ALI [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 05, 2010 04:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
, I'm running on Windows 7 and when I download PowerDirector it loads up and asks me to put in a serial key. So - I did, it responded with something like "PowerDirector 8 Ultra has been successfully activated." but, when I try to start PowerDirector it keeps responding with "PowerDirector has stopped working." and I've already tried to reinstall it. Anyone know why? On their website it says it's compitable with Windows 7.
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ALI,

How many types of cyberlink programs do you have installed?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05. 2010 08:16

ALI [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 05, 2010 04:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Only 1 type