Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Install Error: "The application has failed to start...
Raymond [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2010 16:08 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
beacuse its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

Hi all just bought PowerDirector 8 and haven't managed to get past the above error message. have tried the update, uninstall, reininstall... leaving it drinking 2 cups of tea and coming back and trying again. The reviews for this software were in general very good, which is why I purchased it but am starting to wonder... I can see that several people have posted having the same problem but no answer from Cyberlink. Is it time to start looking for a refund?

Thanks for any guidance.

R.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2010 16:25

[Post New]
Raymond,

Before moderators stepped in and directed you in the right direction to find a problem, please read the link already.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
Raymond [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Andy,

Did see that post, (all 377 lines & 2413 words of wisdom). I was taking a punt on an easy answer to a simple question.

Part A.
I fail, i can't get the program to do anything other than pop up the afore mentioned error.

PART B.
Done... I have a file called RayDxDiag

Part C.
Installed, uninstalled, installed, uninistalled, installed...
still can't get the program to do anything other than give the afore mentioned error message.

PART D
Was doing fine until directed to the 377 line afore mentioned post
just kidding... honest.
1. I double clicked the CyberLink PowerDirector link and got an error box with the words ""The application has failed to start beacuse its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."
2, I clicked "ok" and the box went away.

PART E
Screen Captured

PART F
There's nothing to annotate... moving on.

PART G
Done and re-done the upgrade made no difference.

PART H
Test 1. FAIL Program will not start
Test 2. FAIL Program will not start

PART I
I have no video file...moving on.

PART J
Not Applicable, I'm not emailing anyone.

PART K
Uploading to youtube... I can't get the program to load!!! (refers back to PART D)

PART L
Getting PD to produce... chance would be a fine thing.

PART M
Titles and how to change them. Cool, would be nice to see that feature.

PART N
I have created a video for everyone... I don't think so.

PART O
Dealing with a pds file that wont open. Close but I need dealing with PD that won't open.

PART P
Downloaded tool.
Installed tool.
Uninstalled PD8 again.
Used tool to clean PD8 from windows
Reinstalled PD8

No change...

PART Q
I've got PD8... moving on

PART R
Yes I really have got PD8!

PART S

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector\PDR8.exe.Manifest".
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",
publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found.
Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] SideBySide

- EventID 33

[ Qualifiers] 49409

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-02-02T00:17:52.000000000Z

EventRecordID 4166

Channel Application

Computer DELL-XPS

Security

- EventData

Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"

C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector\PDR8.exe.Manifest

PART T
Not applicable

PART U
Not applicable

PART V
Yes I'm turning off my PC...
[Post New]
Raymond,

I frankly do not know an easy/quick answer for you. Please post an e-ticket, found on Support tab as well while you are waiting for an answer.

In the mean time please adviCe full specs of you PC: model, processor, video card, RAM, etc as well as platform you are running it on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2010 20:31

Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
DOM670 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 29, 2010 09:22 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
I had a similar problem I believe...If you are not able to install the program because Cyberlink thinks there is already a program installed you will have to download a Microsoft Windows Install Clean Up...You can find one here at the link

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

Before you run the install though do this:

1) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> click "Software" --> click "Cyberlink" -->Delete folder "Cyberlink". Reboot your PC.

**Now you will do a similar step...but instead you will go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER**

2) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" --> click "Software" --> click "Cyberlink" -->Delete folder "Cyberlink". Restart

3) Now run the Microsoft Windows Install Clean Up program and select PowerDVD or CyberLink, I can't remember which one it is and uninstall it...do a restart...When system boots up Install Cyberlink...While you install don't do anything...I had a lot of trouble with my install until i did this...Good Luck...Please let me know if this helped!?
Raymond [Avatar]
[Post New]
@DOM670

Thank you sir... a most excellent simple answer to the simple question

Indeed your instructions worked a treat. The only difference I can see from past attempts was the deletion of the whole cyberlink registry folder and not just the sub-folder for PowerDirector8. whether this has crippled some other cyberlink software that came with the pc... who knows. But quite frankly after burning through hours trying to get the thing to even load I don't care!

Many Thanks to all who took the time to read or try to help.

Best regards

Ray.
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Raymond,

Wait so did it work!? The vibe I am getting from you is that it either worked or my steps were not really different from anyone's so you decided not to put anymore time into it? Which is understandable...I was getting really frustrated with the program install as well... :S ...Let me know! THanks!
Raymond [Avatar]
[Post New]
"Indeed your instructions worked a treat. "

Yes... it worked I am looking at it now for the first time.

Your instructions said delete Cyberlink folder in registry. the others said delete the PowerDirector folder... (If a small hammer doesn't work hit it with a bigger hammer comes to mind)

It seems there are similar posts on the forum atm to.

Many Thanks

Ray.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2010 04:40

DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Awesome...And you will by the way have to reinstall any Cyberlink Products that were in that folder you deleted in the registry...
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Raymond,
The guide you attempted and gave a puerile report is intended for selective instruction.

Where you observed to delete in regedit the whole folder "CyberLink" instead of just PowerDirector could have caused you problems if you had additional CyberLink products such as PowerDVD.

Unhelpful and silly comments are not constructive and do little to help readers looking for solutions, please desist.

You can seek assistance from CyberLink technical Support: http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2010 13:50