Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 8 Errors
DOM670 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 29, 2010 09:22 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
1.)Does anyone have problems with PowerDirector 8 seriously lagging or crashing after they open About Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 in the Help menu and close the help menu again?

2.) Does anyone have any Problems with the installation when it installs at the "Installing SmartSound" sections and it just freezes? And what is SmartSound Exactly?

Thanks!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
#1 is a known issue. Smartsound is the music files available to add to your video to add music without violating any copyright laws. It does take a long time to actually start installing, but wait for it and it will eventually get there. That's probably a big part of the content package, I would guess. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! So is #1 known fixable issue?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I don't get any display issue with Help>About.
I don't allow Adverts within PD. Do both of you allow the advertisements of additional CL products*.

* I'm looking for a possible reason.

Please state clearly DOM670 what build of PD8 you are using and the method you used to call up the About dialogue window? Please state the Operating System you're using?

See: PART A
You can not pinpoint the issue BUT you can give more detail of content and provide a visual image as well as a diagnostic of your set up. Please note that 3 (x100kb) images/files can be attached to your reply.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A - name it
PART B - provide it
PART F - use them
PART E - an alternative
PART D - presentation is important

You asked about SmartSound - please ensure you install it - Magic Music relies upon the installation of the SmartSound audio files.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2010 07:49

DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
well when i went to help look the build up my system hung up again. If you want to try and duplicate the issue heres what happens i click on help and then about and close the "about" window that opens up and then try and repeat the steps it will lag on me are even crash. The build i am running is the one that came with the download. When my PD crashed after i checked the build number i forgot it.

Do i need to install SmartSound cause it has been sitting a "installing smart sound" on my laptop for like 30 mins...i had to try it twice on the computer i am using now. I have not updated my PD yet cause im waiting to see if PD 8 will do it on its on. I can't even trust this program.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dom670,
Since I have a not been able to replicate your issue, (as previously stated) you need to provide more information other than "I can't even trust this program" and "sitting a "installing smart sound" on my laptop for like 30 mins" all of which gives zero information. This isn't useful or productive.

1. Right click on the installation exe and select properties - this will give you the PD version information.
2. Have you cleared out your temp directories lately and used a cleaning program? I suggest you use CCleaner to tidy up your operating system, please do so immediately?
3. I've provided you with a general guide of what and how to present information - PLEASE READ through it all and adhere to the style requested.
4. Please attach a diagnostic file to your reply - see PART B

At the moment the errors and faults with running PowerDirector 8 appear to be caused by YOUR SYSTEM's inability to process data. I have suggested a number of actions and requested specific information. Please provide what has been asked. The problems are isolated to your system.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2010 10:25

DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd...

My System:
Asus Maximus 3 Formula Mobo
Intel i7-860 @ 2.8 GHz
Two Internal SATA 7500 rpm HD's Configured at RAID 1(OS, Work Music etc)
One Internal SATA Dedicated 7500 HD TB For Video
6 GB Corsair Dominator RAM
NVIDIA GTX 250

*I just reformatted the 31JAN10 in the AM

PowerDirectorVersion:
Versrion 8.00.2508

Problem:
1) Click: Menu>Help>About Cyberlink Power Director >then exit...If you repeat these step right after you exit you should get a lag or crash. This happends on two different machines of mine.

2)Installation hangs at installing smartsound...This has happened on two different computers
[Post New]
Dafydd,

DOM is telling the truth. I did too go to check the version of my PD (which is 2508 ). When I <closed> the ABOUT window and went to click the menu button again (The Chair), my PD8 opened menu pop-up window and froze. I tried three times after terminating PD and restarting it again; I noticed that PD actually unfreezes after about 3mins. What do u think that can be?

p.s. Question 2
How can u turn off AD prompts?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2010 11:29

Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you.

I am please that Andy has come in on this.

Ok, I have broached the Help>About display issue with R&D and ask them to check (on various systems).

DOM670, thank you for the information - a bit minimalist! You also didn't state whether you cleaned your system.

Have you attempted to check/re-download the product?

DOM670 - Please contact Tech Support.
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Andy,
I don't allow PD to access the internet. However this has repercussions when you want to use Magic Music files. If you search on the forum there is another method used by Tony and others.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2010 14:36

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Happens for me as well - I've taken a screen capture avi. PD seems to go real slow for a while and then recovers.

As it happens I just re-installed this morning as I was having a few crashes so.... it's probably not that.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

Upon testing, not able to replicate problem.

With project in timelines, clicked on Help > About, several consecutive times, with no pop-ups, lagging, or freezes.
(The "check for automatic updates" box, is unticked in my Preferences, if that makes any difference)

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
I posted a few weeks back about this same issue (lag/hang when going to help/about) and have two machines that exhibit this issue, have the latest update (build 2508) on both. On one of the PCs I even uninstalled/reinstalled but the problem persists, haven’t had time lately to check and see if anything else is amiss.

PC1: Toshiba Laptop
Core2 Duo T5250 (1.5GHz)
4 GB DDR2
ATI Mobility Radeon HD2400 128MB VRAM
320 GB SATA HD 5400RPM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

PC2: ASUS P5K MB
Quad Core Q9550 (2.83 GHz)
8 GB DDR2
nVidia GeForce GTS250
2 – 500 GB SATA HDs 7200 RPM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Dan
HP ProBook
Core i5 450
Win 10 Pro, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR3
ATI 512 MB
256GB SSD & 500GB 7200RPM HDD
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I did not state that I cleaned my system because I said that i *I just reformatted the HD 31JAN10 in the AM

I have tried to reinstall many times and contacted Tech support already...Thanks anyways
[Post New]
I can replicate the problem mentioned in this thread.

Vista Home Premium 64 SP2
Systemax X58, Intel Core i7 920 2.67ghz
MoBo: ASUS P6T Deluxe
12GB Corsair DDR3 memory
1TB HD 7200rpm
1TB external eSata HD
1 DVDRW
2 NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (SLI) 512MBx2 dedicated
1 Acer 24" monitor 1920x1080
2 Acer 22" monitor 1920x1080
External sound card: ASUS Sonar U1
DirectX version 11

PD 8 version 8.00.2508 _______________________________________
The first condition of immortality is death
DOM670 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cranston,

Wow, I unchecked The "check for automatic updates" box an it magically operated normally after closing the "About Cyberlink PowerDirector 8" I am no longer having the issue I was having when I started this forum. It's a fix for me!!! Thanks!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dom670,

WoW is right. Great!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 02. 2010 04:38

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
I can confirm that DOM670's 'fix' did the trick! _______________________________________
The first condition of immortality is death