Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote You did not state if the movie is a commercial copy copied or ripped from a disc. It may still have copy protection. You may be able to fix it by using a free video converter. You should then be able to use it in PD20 and edit it.

Ripped from the blu-ray and I'm quite cerain I've pulled clips from it before this without issue. Any chance new or updated Dell or Intel drivers are causing this issue? They would be the only thing(s) that have changed. I may re-rip this BD just to see if there is a difference. I am going to convert the .avi to .mp4 and see what those results are.

Quote Also the patch should have updated PD20 to build 2815, so if you're still seeing 2106 it didn't get applied.

Reboot your computer then try running the patch as an administrator (from the right-click menu in File Explorer) and see if you can at leat get PD20 updated before trying anything else.

I had installed the patch to no avail before fully uninstalling and reinstalling the original build. Reinstalling is the old fallback after all.
I've had PD20 on my computer since July 2022. I used versions 14 and 17 (IIRC) before that.

No major issues with PD20 until today. I opened a movie I wanted to get a clip from off of an external drive. It kept freezing up (blue circle, white screen unresponsiveness), then eventualy exited the program without warning or error message.

Thinking it might be too much for the app to work off an external drive, I copied the movie to my computer and tried again.

A few minutes in, usually around the point I am trying to make the second Split and delete the excess, it freezes momentarily and closes. The first time I'll get the message below, the next time(s), no message before it closes out.

I tried the patch the first time around with no luck, then uninstalled everything, deleted all folders and registry entries related to PD20 and reinstalled from scratch. No effect, same issue.

Dell Latitude 5501 Intel Core i7-9850H @2.6GHz 6 core/12 logical processors 64GB RAM
Win10x64 Pro 22H2 (10.0.19044 Build 19044)
PD version 20.0.2106.0 (64 Bit)
Version Type : Ultimate

Please let me know if there is a log file or anything I can add.
Quote Hello,

This could be a by-product of DVD playback not being available in Windows by default anymore, since DVDs are in the MPEG-2 format:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dvd-playback-options-for-windows-927ebe85-7837-4149-4323-f55a9e3c4e36

On my system I can produce in MPEG-2 and play the file up to 1280x720 in my copy of WMP12. What is the resolution of the files you created? Can you try at a lower resolution, i.e. closer to DVD resolution? Can you also use MediaInfo to get the details of your produced file? You can do that here: https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline

I have no problem playing any of the created MPEG-2 files at any resolution with some of the other more popular free players like VLC player or PotPlayer. I suggest switching to one of those players or outputting in a newer format, like MP4. I produced the same project in MP4 and it plays fine in Windows Media Player.

Which version of PowerDirector 20 do you have? If you have 365, you can also consider outputting your video as an animated GIF directly, since that is your ulimate goal:

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/20/win/enu/19_02_02_image_sequence.html

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I generally output MPEG-2 vids in 1280x720, because I usually give the gif's a 500px height. The one MPEG-2 vid I have right now that won't run is 1920x1080 (though I have churned them out in 1080 before).

I found a more clips in 1080 I know I used PD14 for, and they also will not play, so your idea about no DVD playback = no higher res MPEG-2 playback might just be the issue. Though I imagined the codec I installed should have cured this.

I have PD20 Ultimate, so no direct gif output I guess. Though I add text using PhotoShop, sometimes 2 or 3 bits of text as well as other effects.

As far as another player, Win10 has the Movies & TV player, which does play the MPEG-2, plus 4K vids. WMP is still my goto player for music (the Library) and all other videos. It has easy F11 to fullscreen and my keyboard media controls don't always work with other media players.
I recently upgraded from PD14 to PD20 (because they wouldn't let me re-install the previous version...thanks for that).

I occasionally output in .mpg format in order to create animated gif's in PhotoShop.

All the .mpg video clips I created with PD14 still play fine on Win10 WMP, but the .mpg videos I have done with PD20 will not play on WMP (Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file).

I installed the MS MPEG-2 Video Extension (and restarted), just in case it was a codec issue. Same result, WMP won't play the later .mpg vids.

Anyone else encounter this?
Go to: