Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Is this issue on the original tape when you watch it on TV?

What device and software did you use to digitize your tape?

It is an issue on the original tape, it appears on the tv and I have tried a 2 VHS players and either get more problems with this being the best it appears. I have the player going into a converter to HDMI and then I have a simple HDMI recorder that works with all other inputs no other problems. I have also tried other tapes and the visuals are fine so seems this tape is just degrading.
I have a recording of an old VHS that for 60% of the picture has correct color (if only faded but it is easily fixed with more saturation and hue and such). However, the top part of the video would periodically discolor to a more purple/magenta color and at random intervals.

I have attached a sample picture, I have been able to use multiple masks and color matching to lessen the discoloring though you can still tell in many scenes and can see some artifacting going on as the masks swap colors around. I am wondering if there is an easier way to have the masks pick out the colors like in color matching but then perhaps just sliding the hue and saturation so that the underlying color could be found rather than using a dozen or more color matching replacements?

And yes I did try to clean up the VHS as much as I could and did get a lot of improvement but the top of the video continued to be discolored so I believe it's a degradation of the tape itself.
Go to: