Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hello all,

I wanted to let you know how things were going. My 12900K build hit a snag, nothing serious, just seem to have gotten a faulty NVME so I'm replacing it with a different drive and redoing the install. In the interim, I needed something that could get me by. I had an HP Omen 30L that I picked up from ebay without a graphics card. I was fortunate enough to get selected for a newegg shuffle and picked up a 3060TI, the original class card included with this system. I've updated the memory to 32 gb and was pleased to see that with the new bios, you can utilize XMP profiles for optimal performance. I share all this because the system has exceeded my expectations. Here are the specs

HP Omen 30L
Ryzen 7 5800X
32 GB XPG ram @ 3200
1TB Boot NVME
2TB Video Creation NVME
2TB Swap / Temp Drive
EVGA 3060 TI

I'm able to run multiple 4K track overlay PIP with image cutaways, etc. It's not quite as smooth as my i9 Macbook Pro was, but it's not bad either. Encoding a 17 minute project with the above features down to a 1080P mp4 video for upload, took about 12 minutes. I'm going to move the project to my 12th gen i9 once I get it fixed and re-render it for comparison. I'll update folks with the results.

Cheer
Rick
Thanks for the info.

I guess what I'm finding is that while Apple is very constricted on its hardware, it's optimized for the kind of content creation workflow I'm used to, without having to jump through a lot of hoops. It just works.

I'm running mostly Panasonic and Sony cameras and for the most part, it's been fine now that I'm using shadow files (do you know of a way to specify where those are created? I'd like to not have them on my main app drive)

As for the 3070ti, "performance" numbers have it as "faster" than the other cards, but I know that does not tell the whole story of how it will work in PD. If the encoder is essentially the same and therefore does not matter, I may just stick with a 3060 for editing and save the 3070ti a gaming rig.

Not that it's relevant, but I'm disappointed that the AMD GPUs do not perform well with PD. Seems they are still struggling to catch up to Nvidia on many fronts.

I guess I'll continue the learning curve as it's been a painful and expensive one, but I have learned a lot in the process.

Thanks again for the help. I may do some videos on the journey from mac to PC content creation to help others through the process.

Cheers
Rick

I'm not sure where you read the 3070 Ti is "best" choice for PD. The GA102, 104, 106 used in the 30 series GPU's all have 7th generation NVENC so they will be virtually the same with PD. The only real difference, if you like to use large section of video with say the Van Gogh AI Style Pack, performance difference will exist. vram increase to 12GB will have little effect, monitor your vram usage now and see what you use for the editing features you use.

I've not had too good of luck with AMD cards and PD. Great GPU's, too many anomalies with PD with slow/no resolution.

I don't see this addressing your fundamental need of fluid editing multiple 4K streams with PD though, presumably recorded at high bitrates. Proxy files, intermediate codec conversion, would need to be done to achieve true fluidity while editing, even then, color correction, stabilization or features like that would need proper workflow to minimize editing drag.

Good luck on your new build.

Jeff
Hello all

I find that getting simple direct answers from CyberLInk is very tough. I'm hoping that you all can help.

I'm a content creator and I switched from MAC back to PC last year. The reason I liked the MAC was its ability to edit multiple 4K videos streams with relative ease. What I did not like about the MAC is it's locked architecture.

Here’s what I’ve got acquired so far for my new build.

Intel i9-12900k
32 gb ddr5
Z690 m-board
Nvme storage

Here are my options for graphics cards:

RTX 3070TI
RTX 3060
RX 6700XT

On paper the 3070 TI is the “best” choice. But, since I’m generally working with multiple 4K videos layered on top of each other, will the 12GB vram in the 3060 and 6700 xt provide any advantage over the 3070TI.

So that’s my question. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
It's certainly very interesting for sure.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Rick

Quote Even the FinalCut ProX EULA says that's not for commercial use:
https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/FinalCutProX.pdf

B. MPEG-2 Notice. To the extent that the Apple Software contains MPEG-2 functionality, the following
provision applies: ANY USE OF THIS PRODUCT OTHER THAN CONSUMER PERSONAL USE IN ANY
MANNER THAT COMPLIES WITH THE MPEG-2 STANDARD FOR ENCODING VIDEO INFORMATION
FOR PACKAGED MEDIA IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED WITHOUT A LICENSE UNDER APPLICABLE
PATENTS IN THE MPEG-2 PATENT PORTFOLIO, WHICH LICENSE IS AVAILABLE FROM MPEG LA,
L.L.C., 250 STEELE STREET, SUITE 300, DENVER, COLORADO 80206.
C. Use of MPEG-4. This product is licensed under the MPEG-4 Systems Patent Portfolio License for
encoding in compliance with the MPEG-4 Systems Standard, except that an additional license and
payment of royalties are necessary for encoding in connection with (i) data stored or replicated in
physical media which is paid for on a title by title basis and/or (ii) data which is paid for on a title by title
basis and is transmitted to an end user for permanent storage and/or use. Such additional license may
be obtained from MPEG LA, LLC. See https://www.mpegla.com for additional details.
This product is licensed under the MPEG-4 Visual Patent Portfolio License for the personal and noncommercial use of a consumer for (i) encoding video in compliance with the MPEG-4 Visual Standard
(“MPEG-4 Video&rdquo and/or (ii) decoding MPEG-4 video that was encoded by a consumer engaged in a
personal and non-commercial activity and/or was obtained from a video provider licensed by MPEG LA
to provide MPEG-4 video. No license is granted or shall be implied for any other use. Additional
information including that relating to promotional, internal and commercial uses and licensing may be
obtained from MPEG LA, LLC. See https://www.mpegla.com.
D. H.264/AVC Notice. To the extent that the Apple Software contains AVC encoding and/or decoding
functionality, commercial use of H.264/AVC requires additional licensing and the following provision
applies: THE AVC FUNCTIONALITY IN THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED HEREIN ONLY FOR THE
PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE
WITH THE AVC STANDARD (“AVC VIDEO&rdquo AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY
A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY AND/OR AVC VIDEO
THAT WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE AVC VIDEO. INFORMATION
REGARDING OTHER USES AND LICENSES MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA L.L.C. SEE HTTPS://
WWW.MPEGLA.COM.
E. AMR Notice. The Adaptive Multi-Rate (“AMR&rdquo encoding and decoding functionality in this product is
not licensed to perform cellular voice calls, or for use in any telephony products built on the QuickTime
architecture for the Windows platform. The AMR encoding and decoding functionality in this product is
also not licensed for use in a cellular communications infrastructure including: base stations, base
station controllers/radio network controllers, switching centers, and gateways to and from the public
switched network.
F. HEVC (H.265). To the extent that the Apple Software contains HEVC functionality, the following
provision applies: THIS PRODUCT INCLUDES TECHNOLOGY COMPLIANT WITH THE HEVC/H.265
STANDARD AND THUS MAY BE SUBJECT TO THIRD PARTY PATENT LICENSING OBLIGATIONS
FROM VARIOUS PATENT POOLS HOLDING PATENT RIGHTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE HEVC/H.265
STANDARD. CUSTOMER SHOULD CONSULT INDEPENDENT LEGAL COUNSEL WHEN DETERMINING
WHETHER A LICENSE IS REQUIRED
Thanks for watching.. Light source was "the sun" so I'm not sure how to address that lol..

As for commercial/non-commercial use. I'll have to look that up with PowerDirector. Seems that there are a lot of folks on youtube using this software "commercially" and it's certainly not clearly stated, that I've ever seen, that you're not supposed to use it to make money. That would render it useless.

But certainly something that's worth an email to their support / licensing department.

Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and just learn premiere anyway or give up on PC and just go back to apple.

Thanks again for all the insight.

Cheers

Rick

Quote Nice video.
Small obs: A bit too much glare in the glasses lens. Maybe change the light source direction next time?

PS: PowerDirector is not meant for commericla use, per their TOS. Basically they didn't pay commerical licensing fees for the mp4, h264, h265 formats. Those are free to use only for non-commercial users.
I am not sure if monetizing a channel in YT fits that definition, I would say it does.
Thanks for the useful info.

I'm running MP4 files from my cameras. I use a SONY FDR-AX100 for my static shots (targets) and a Panasonic FZ-2500 on me. I have them set to give me 4k 30fps mp4 files. I just copy the files to my PC and go to work. I was using 1080p shadow files.. I may drop down to 720p going forward. Maybe that will do the trick?

Here's the video that I was editing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yXTB0Uc41w
(just noticed an audio glitch.. grrr.. need to sort that out before my next video)

That's good news on the video card.. no need to drop the unnecessary cash on a 3080. I'm seriously looking to build an alder lake system even though I just finished this build only a month or so ago. This is for my work and anything I can do to create more efficiency just pays off very quickly so I'm looking at the i9 12900k. It will take a little time to get the rest of the parts together, but I'm leaning this way. It would be interesting to see how the two platforms perform compared with each other.

Everyone focuses on numbers (youtube reviewers) that are just not apples to apples for my workflow so this interaction is very helpful. Maybe a youtube channel "for the rest of us" might be useful.

Thanks again.

Rick

What encoding format were those files?
Windows can nativelly deal harware accelerated with mpeg-4, h264, H265, HEVC encoders.
If you come from Apple, you will find out that files native for that (MOV containers, Pro Video Formats) will be very slow in Windows. That's because that is proprietary and Apple didn't care to provide a performant codec for Windows.
That's part of Apple marketing scheme.

PS: You won't see any differences between the 3070 and 3080Ti. Their NVDEC/NVENC are identical.
Also, you can use for storage any decent HDD, don't need an NVME, the bottleneck is not on the storage system.
Memory latecy is a thing, hopefully Windows will deal with that better.

PPS: Thinkgs might change with DirectStore (Windows 11 and somewhat in Windows 10). However the apps need to be re-written to get access to that new technology.
You import on the MAC (final cut) but I don't use proxy files.. I can just run native without having to ingest and create proxy files.

I'm not sure how they do it, but it's just 10 times smoother and far more liquid to edit on the MAC and final cut. I'm not giving up on the PC and the shadow files may be good enough to do what I need to do.. or I may do some of my targets and table cams as 1080 vs 4k which may also do the trick..

It's been a long time since I tried to edit on a PC, about 12 years. It's certainly better than it was way back then, but it still hasn't caught up to MAC.

I'm going to build an 12th gen system here shortly and try and land a 3080. Have you had any experience with AMD GPUs vs nVidia? Does PowerDirector have a preference between the two? Just curious.

Thanks

Rick

Quote There's no magic here. Don't you have to "import" or "ingest" clips in whatever mac program you were using? During that process it's making proxy/shadow files then using those to improve editing fluidity. If you have PD set to automatically create shadow files, then you'll be on the same page.
Hey there.

So here's the rub. I have a MacBook pro (2019 i9, 32gb ram, vega gpu) and it can do this without any issues. If a PC can't do it, then I may need to just go back to Mac and deal with the inherent challenges that go along with that.

I decided to try PC because of the lack of ability to deal with hardware problems on a mac when they go wrong. I almost lost an entire series due to a strange power / charge glitch. At least I can pull the drive from my PC and get the data off in a pinch. Good luck with that on a mac.

Anyway, I'll try some of the things you are suggesting, i.e. lower rez shadow files, rendering playback, etc., but I'm kind of blown away that a PC with this much power can't do what a 2-year-old mac can do. Granted, the mac cost almost 3 times what the PC cost.

I really don't want to have to learn adobe.

Thanks again.

Rick

Quote No amount of hardware change will get you realtime playback of sped up AVC/HEVC 4K clips. Because the clips are encoded to reduce file size, it simply takes too much time to decode each frame in order and then pick out the next frame you want to display to do that while keeping up with the audio.

For those kinds of edits, you basically have three choices:

1. Use shadow files at the lowest resolution you can use to do your other editing. Lower resolution shadow files are easier for your CPU to process and will give you at least some ability to preview sped up clips in realtime, but there will always be a point when the CPU can't keep up if the accelerated section is long enough

2. Use the Range Selection tools and then Produce Range to produce the sped up section and then replace the sped-up section on the timeline with the newly produced clip. This will relieve your CPU of all the heavy lifting during timeline preview

3. Use an intermediate codec for your source clips so the CPU never has to decode any frame and it can easily pick whichever frame is needed from each clip while previewing and never fall behind. The only downside is that the clips have to be converted upfront and will grow to be 10-15x their original file size. SSDs are a must but you're covered there. MagicYUV is my codec of choice, and you can find more info starting in the 3rd paragraph here.

Here's an example of the difference using an intermediate codec makes on timeline preview fluidity with otherwise performance-crippling edits:

Hello all,

I'm a content creator that's moved from MAC to PC. I use PowerDirector365 on PC and I'm looking to build an editing rig.

I was editing a recent video that had 3 4K videos overlaid with text, effects, and crop/zoom edits. When I added time acceleration on two for the overlaid clips, the system just hung up. The audio kept going, but the edit line and preview froze.

I have an i9 10850K, 32 gb ram, RTX3070ti GPU, and NVME storage. What am I missing?

I'm willing to build a new rig and have an intel 690 board and DDR5 ram on the way. I can get what I need to get this to work, I just don't want to under buy and not be able to edit smoothly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rick
Go to: