Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PIX,

Thanks for your feedback.

As to optimizations, I am hoping that the solution could be very easy to implement from my side (e.g. removing unnamed/unused faces) or from the developer's side (e.g. deactivating preview and other bells and whistles).

I have tried copying the Face cache files from an existing project to a new project, but that just ended up screwing up the new project file. It does not seem that the Face cache files & folders are directly transferable.

Yes, I will submit a support ticket soon - I do have quite a number of suggestions as I think this program is very promising.

Quote Hello Calvin901,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum """laughing"""

Issues with PhD's speed processing very large projects have been raised before. In this (not unrelated) thread, there was discussion of PhD's speed searching for applied tags in very large projects. In that thread, the largest project size discussed was only 20,000. Nowhere close to half a million!

It's difficult to escape the conclusion that PhD does, indeed, have trouble coping with giant-sized projects! """frown"""

In answer to your direct questions:

1. I'm not aware of any developments to optimise PhD for larger projects. Like you, I learn of these things when patches/updates are released.

2. Beyond the basic settings in PhD's preferences, there is no way to optimise PhD for large libraries.

3. To my knowledge, saved face data cannot be shared across multiple projects. Face cache files are stored separately. In another related thread, I noticed that in a 2000+ project, the face tagging cache folder is >2GB. That may be relevant (or not).

Could I suggest that you either submit a support ticket or make a suggestion under PhD's Help file... or both!

""""""

PIX
Hi All,

I have tried importing a large number of photos (more than 500,000) to PhotoDirector for Face recognition.

As I was reaching around 100,000 photos, navigating the program and Face recognition slowed down to a crawl. At around 300,000 photos, I think the .phd project file corrupted and starting up PhotoDirector took over an hour.

While my computer is not the newest, I don't think its the culprit:-

AMD Ryzen 2700x
32gb RAM
Nvidia GTX 1070
Running everything on SSD

In the meantime, I am forced to split the my large project into smaller separate projects, but this is not ideal, since it means I need to recognize and tag faces all over again for each new project.

I understand that this is not a typical size for a normal project, but certainly there must be some use cases that require large libraries. I believe it is a matter of optimization since other photo management software do not seem to struggle so much with large libraries. Certainly, I did not expect PhotoDirector to slow down at just 100,000 photos.

Some questions:-

1. Are there any upcoming updates/patches on the horizon to optimize PhotoDirector for large albums?

2. Are there any settings/anything I can do in the meantime to optimize for large libraries?

3. Is there any way for multiple projects to share the same saved Face data & tags, so I don't need start from scratch with every new project?

Thanks in advance!
Go to: