Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I am having a little trouble doing something I haven't had occasion to do before. I want to create a pedagogic video which requires students to be able to skip to whichever bit of the video they need to work on. I have been able to accomplish something which I consider to be messy and would appreciate any suggestions.

I have the video edited and chaptered OK, just which way to produce or create dvd for usable results.

It is HD source and renders fine, just the chapter menu access and usage which is giving me the willies.

Thanks in anticipation.
A couple of days ago, PD10 hung at 100% production on all productions I tried, MPEG-4 and MOV in default and user profiles. The job was a string of clips straight out of the camera and with a simple fade transition applied throughout. No titles, no PIP, no added tracks....

I decided to work through what I consider to be the correct procedure for resolving such an issue. Since the first premise is that PD10 can do the production and that the clips I was using were totally simple, the fault should be with my platform.

First step is to create a restore point, then use MSCONFIG to select Diagnostic Boot. Under those conditions almost nothing is loaded apart from OS and MS essential drivers. No loaded utility tasks nor their little helpers...

Now, booting up PD10, it asks to Launch RichVideo... OK. Now try my production and same result, PD10 hangs at 100% produced. Hmmm, very strange, I would have expected it to run straightaway.

Tell MSCONFIG to start normally, then do a restore (since user unloaded resident tasks get reloaded) from the previous saved restore point.

Try PD10 again... ureka!! ... everything working again.

Interim theory: when original problem occured, some installed codec had been replaced at some time; booting in diagnostic mode does not load the appropriate codec, but restarting as normal loaded it.

OK, what codec could have been interfered with? A littlte reflection and looking in my logbook, I note that I recently installed and ran a utility called MKV2VOB, which converts Makroshka videos. Perhaps that was the software which had swapped codecs?

So I checked PD10 still working OK, did a Makroshka conversion and PD10 then hung again at 100%

So, if you have occasion to use MKV2VOB, you should reboot your computer afterwards.

I hope this helps someone along the way, bearing in mind it doesnt have to have been mkv2vob - ANY VIDEO CONVERSION PROGRAM has the potential to cause this sort of problem. Another lesson learnt is that Diagnostic Boot may not find a problem directly, but it certainly helps to focus the mind.
Oh Deary Me...

I have just hit this self-same problem. If I try to produce MOV or MPEG4, it rattles through the production and reaches 100% but never terminates. I can produce H264AVC without a problem. My production is just a bunch of dance clips bolted together end-on with a simple fade between clips (for SWMBO to see and correct her mistakes). Couldn't be more basic. I am not asking for help just yet, as I have not had time to try the things I would recommend anyone else to do. However, if someone does recognize the symptoms, please do not hesitate.

I shall report back as and when I have found out anything.
I am considering buying an HD camcorder and looking at Canon offerings (just a historic preference, not a question of careful assessment) I can see a nice model HF-M41 which comes in at about £500-550.

One thing I would like to do is record stuff at higher frame rates and then replay at lower frame rate so as to watch in 'slow motion', only a factor of about 4:1, but this camera will definitely not do that.

I had a feeling that PD offers some editing mode which is effectively interpolating the missing frames and making an interpolated slow motion - or is this just wishful thinking on my part? If not, is there any 3rd party software which will do some stretching like this?

Otherwise, if you know of a camcorder which is likely to be able to do this natively, no more than about £1000, I would appreciate any suggestions.

[edit @ 12:10GMT] Ok, I have found the trick in PD and given it a quick whirl. It looks good but a bit jerky in places. I would be interested in others' comments on choice of camcorder though. For example, I realise that shooting at 60 and editing at 24 will give me true slow mo of nearly a factor of 2. Can PD handle this technique?

You know, every time I read these threads about things not working, and people thrashing about in semi-random fashion, I am absolutely bewildered.

Problem solving, of any technological thing, requires a strategy, tools and a little time.

For 'my software won't run' the strategy starts by firing up a bare version of your O.S, known as selective startup using MSCONFIG. The tools provided by MSCONFIG enable you to eliminate all startup programs or services, you then try running the software and if OK, carefully add back the suppressed startup programs and services bit by bit until you find out what is screwing things up. If not OK, then you have a fundament problem involving only three components: Hardware, Operating System and Application Software.

Since we know that PD normally works on your OS, there is a hardware problem which is 99.9% sure to be in your graphics card or driver. Try an alternative driver by either unrolling to an earlier version, or getting the latest. Else, you have to try an alternative board with its driver.

I know this sounds "OK in theory but...", well it is OK in practice too. The grand majority of problems with programs [not OS] will be sorted by proceding thus. And it doesn't take long. It is like following a recipe: the first time it is a bit slow, but subsequently, one gets very quick.

Using Diagnostic/Selective Startup MSCONFIG (ie bare system)

@Dafydd - I did a posting on this some time back which I thought you had pegged somewhere, but I can't find it. Can you provide a link to it, please?

denbigh

PS If you need more info on this procedure, please send me a PM and I will do all I can to help.

PPS. Please, posters, do not, repeat NOT, add some negative stuff to this thread suggesting this is complicated and dangerous. It is straightforward, methodical and the ONLY way to proceed instead of trying this that and the other!!! If you think I am being a bit testy, it is because some prat posted negatively on some previous occasion!

Having purchased and installed the upgrade from 9 to 10, I am not actually going to be using PD10 for some time. However, I remember one time before that I installed PD and let it stagnate on my computer for some weeks or months. On that occasion, when I went to do something not totally basic, I got an activation message on some non-essential function and then was unable to activate that function due to the time elapsed from my original instal and activation. I had to get Dafydd to enable me to uninstall and start over!

Just to make myself clear: I have installed and activated 10.0.0.1005 and cobbled together a video with some transitions, so everything is functioning at the most basic level and I am wondering if someone can tell me which program functions need exercising in order to activate those other functions?

denbigh
Quote: Hello -
Thanks for the replies.
I was afraid (hoping) you would say something like that.
My next question would be, should I break the news to the Supervisor that a new system would be an appropriate Christmas present, or should I wait till after the holidays when she's not paying such close attention?!
Thanks again for the help.
Richard

Hi Richard,

Very simple answer, but it will cost you a little more - - - just buy a little special 'something' (perfume, diamonds...) for the Supervisor, then two days later, tell her your old 'puter has had it and you are not sure what to do. She will smile and tell you you deserve a new machine....etc.

Anyway, works for me

denbigh
Quote: Hi,
Your system doesn't have enough resources available for Video editing, you are on a windows 32Bit system with onl 4096MB resources. video Producing requires a LOT of resources available.
Jim

Hey, take a look at a Bubba posting (signature) - he is doing it all with only 3Megs on a W7/64 machine...
Another shot in the dark is to make sure that your production or disc creation is not actually trying to burn a disc, there are check boxes to disable the burn. Long shot, but...

denbigh
You may be interested in this thread Here at Microsoft No real answer there, but interesting in that it relates to same problem with Vegas? Suggests to me that it is not the application (PD or Vegas) but something else in the system, maybe a DLL or maybe a driver???

denbigh
I have suggested this procedure time and again... especially when reinstallation does not work. Sometimes, it is something already on the computer which can cause trouble.

Diagnostic booting is a technique for starting your machine with nothing loaded into the computer's memory. It does not mean uninstalling your programs, but it means that they will not load up some memory-resident DLL or service during boot.

So what you do is to

• make a snapshot of your system, registry etc. (2 minutes)

• go into msconfig and turn off all startup itmes (1 minute)

• reboot your computer

• fire up PD9 and try to do your thing

• If PD9 works in diagnostic mode(**below), then there is something we can do about it directly and easilyl, if NOT, then you simple restore the snapshot and go back to talking to this forum or support.

• Snapshot of the system: Control Panel > System Properties > Button for Create restore point

• Using MSCONFIG: Start > Type MSCONFIG in the text box at bottom of programs section

• Then, in MSCONFIG, turning off stuff: Startup Tab, click on disable all, Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft services', click on disable all, then finally click on OK.

• Finally, to get back to square one: Start > Type Restore Point in the text box, then select Restore System Settings from a Restore Point.

This is the equivalent of removing some of the extras that your dealer thought would be great value to get you to buy your car - that re-chipping of the computer gives not only extra speed, but stops the car at the lights... you chose the metaphor, sorry....

denbigh

** As you have suppressed all DLLs etc. PD9 will ask if it can install such-and-such. You answer any and all such questions with 'yes'.

Reference: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-System-Configuration
    Just one thing I remember from some time back is NOT to try to get PD to actually record the disc directly. No matter what you say about not competing with other software, I still have suspicions there. I always record to a DVD/BR folder and then do the disc recording with another software. For maximum compatibility, I happen to use Power2Go and have dumped my Nero and Pinnacle disc recorders.

Going back to my suspicions, you could at least try the following, as it costs so little time...

• Create a restore point.

• Run msconfig and 'disable all' in startup tab

• Run PD (NOT burning directly to disk please) and if it wants to install something, let it do so

• This will let PD run with NO interference. If it is OK, then you have some interference, if not, you have lost 5 mins of your life.

After that, you will want to use the restore point to get back to where you were. If you find PD did run OK, and want some further assistance to isolate what stops it running properly, then please PM me, or ask here.

Hey, you sound like a common-sense, decent fellow. Why not use your brains and powers of deduction. Do you really think we forum-users are all paid by Cyberlink to promote their 'buggy' products? (I wish!)

No, the reality is that you have a very powerful set of tools in your hands and it is all too easy to be the one making an error. I know that I blamed the software for loads of things that went wrong, and I was not prepared to accept 'work-rounds'. Gradually my technique and knowledge has improved - but not a lot by the standards of some folk here - and now I can more or less all the time do things straightforwardlly. Now, when I have a problem, my first assumption is that it is me, and it is a question of finding out what is the right way to do what I want.

PD is a bit like the difference between a simple four-function calculator and an HP reverse-Polish 120 function calculator. It was damned hard to do simple things on the HP.

Anyway, if you do decide to ditch PD and find something better, no matter the price, please let me know by PM. I have tried the competition and been disappointed - and it is not a question of my purse, that is long enough - it is truly that all complex software like this needs to be handled carefully and that goes for any alternatives.

IMHO, of course

I posted a long offering describing using diagnostic booting, goodness knows where it is...

anyway, if you start from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-System-Configuration you can get the info for yourself. It may seem complicated, but what you want to do is start your system with no resident programs or dlls, which will include codecs, which are oftent the root cause of the problem. Assuming PD works with nothing resident (apart from what it asks for on starting the program, which is OK to do) then you progressively add back all the resident services and dlls.

It really is strikingly simple, yet everyone is put off by the amount of words involved in describing the procedure. I think it mentions creating a restore point first in case you make a balls-up. Open up the diagnostic bit at the bottom of the page.

I am still on 2930 and have a similar problem. I have a DVD project of about 10mins which will play all the way through on PDVD9, but stops on 3 different DVD players. I just wonder if this has happened to anyone before? I am not yet very worried, as there may be something silly I have done and will try regenerating the DVD in the near future, as is my best suggestion for rBowser

[edit] It just happens to be the first DVD I made with chapters.
    I have not had to resort to settings in NVIDIA, but I only use max performance settings... set in Power Management

Quote:

1Nina;
    Since you use the older build of PD9, I wouldn't think your experience is typical. IS that correct?

Well, I am on 2930 and still no problems. I moved to 280.26 some weeks ago, and I use my computer daily. PD, Various Canon Utilities, Spectraview Profiler, iMatch Profiler, Sony Handicam stuff, experiments with Mercalli and NewBlue, Adobe PS, LR, DW etc. No BSD, No problems with PD.

If I had the problems others are having, I would do some investigation to see where the problem actually lies. Booting up in Safe Mode with all installed stuff and services held back - then progressively reintroducing startup and services until the crash occurred.. detailed elsewhere or easy to find through Google.

One other thing though. I had a problem with Mercalli stabiliser and rolled back the NVIDIA driver. This didnt sort the Mercalli problem and I reinsntalled 280.26. In order to sort the Mercalli problem, I had occasion to unload all my KLite codecs and reinstalled the latest. Perhaps that may be why I seem to be spared the horrors? My KLCP is 7.6.0 (Full).

Be nice if this helps....
    Memory, Memory, Memory -- just make sure you have as much memory as you can fit/afford. It is the single most effective performance determinator, apart of course from your cpu and chipset.

Most computers sold these days have more than enough GB for programs and data. Bumping up memory will reduce swapping and will reach zero page-file use at some level - that is the level of memory you need.

PD, even though working in 64-bit multi-stream, is very unlikely to use 100% cpu (any offers of support/contradiction?/) so what limits are there on performance - generally memory and GPU.

IMHO

denbigh
    I have upated my driver to 8026 some time ago and have so far (touch wood) had no problems. Like someone else, I do not do 3D.
    Why? Why what?

The main monitor is for photography which is my real hobby, and one only needs one proper monitor for the image. Couldn't even justify the same size for the second, let alone quallity!

Hope the wedding and stuff went well, you didn't leave the camera at home, I hope !!

denbigh
    Go to: