Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote It's now version 22.0.2126.0 (I installed the update). No idea what it's changed. Still same putrid colours. And the scrubber still doesn't go to the beginning of the clip on the timeline!

Paul

PDM posted: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/119505.page#450188

Jeff
Quote Hmmm. Count me in on being lost without this feature. WTF . .

Not one to just post here4 without looking for answers, I find a few Cyberlink Help topics that SEEM to INVOKE the line for manual editing - like we are all accustomed to. Umm OK, I'll bite - even though it looks like a few extra steps to get there. .

BUT . . . I can't get that to work either! Which makes me wonder if something got lost in the update?? I need a fix to this as well.
Note that on the last screen shot - it even claims the the video fade line is now showing and can be used - but I have tried 6 ways to sunday and never once have I succeed in getting hte video fade line to show up. Grrr~~

There's several cases where what's in the docs do not match what the product does. Here was another one: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/119397.page#449802 It's just a absolutely pathetic release with very little QA on what was released/functional and what was documented. Just no excuse. Some release managers and developers should be assigned to new tasks after this release.

Jeff
Quote Since the update I haven't been unable to get the videos to play for any of my projects including new projects. I need to be able to play through them so I can see my edits and sync everything. I can throw everything in and render it and have done that as a work around but this is frustrating. Help!

What update? Specify a version, it may help others too as there's probably been 4 updates in the last 2-3 weeks.

When you say can't see, I assume a black screen? You might try pref > Hardware Acceleration and untick the hardware decoding flag and see if that makes a difference.

Jeff
Quote Have just noticed a new update is available via the Application Manager. Has anyone tried it? Is it safe? I'm being ultra-cautious about installing any updates from CL at the moment!

Paul

Unless people quote version numbers probably hard bookkeeping any user perceived impact. Here, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20/119462.page#post_box_450177 a version was quoted but obviously in error, 23.XXX would be over a year away.

Jeff
Quote Thanks for this response. I've had this problem too in the past and was wondering what caused it. Do we really need shadow files? They take up disc space as well!

Paul

It depends how fast of a system you have, source video specs, and how fluid you like the timeline to playback. PD has very poor timeline playback fluidity vs other products so they have lots of crutches to assist, like: shadow files, shadow file resolution, non-real time, YUV/RGB display, Render Preview, hardware decoding, Preview Quality, ... to name a few.

I typically don't use shadow files on my higher end system, nice concept, however poor implementation and lack of corrective/debug actions have caused way too many issues over the years for me. But, if you always want the most fluid timeline playback to edit, they do help there with PD.

Jeff
Quote Here is the *.mov file! I imported the file in Pinnacle and it worked fine and kept the alpha channel.
In Powerdirector however the file showed as a white background.

Pinnacle Studio uses the CineForm mov format for alpha channel creation which to my knowledge is not supported in PD. Pinnacle provides no other options that I'm aware of.

PD only accepts certain codecs for proper alpha channel support in mov container. I've never seen a published list of what is or is not supported. One has to learn by trial and error, for example, some ProRes variants and PNG codec in mov container are supported.

Jeff
Quote I exported a *.mov file in Pinnacle 23 with alpha channel. However Powerdirector seems not to be able to handle this correctly.
Is there a solution for this issue?

You might attach your sample mov with the alpha channel for users to try, PD has supported some mov's with alpha channel on import. What appears to be the not handle correctly issue?

Jeff
Quote That helped! Here's what I did

located shadow files and removal process using this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_UIXd-Q4Ek.

Then I rebooted, did not resolve fully. So I navigated to the folder where PowerDirector states those shadow files are stored and deleted them (Have to shutdown PD). I then restarted PD which seems to cause the project to regenerate the shadow files for what is now in my timeline. Resolved

Thanks for the help

When you use the manual delete of shadow files in pref you have to do that with a clean session of PD so no shadow files are active. If any shadow files are part of current loaded project, they won't be deleted. When your real project is opened again, shadow files will be regenerated if they were set in pref.

Shadow files have been known to create lots of issues, you should review if you really need or want them active.

Jeff
Quote Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know how to remove the Start End Duration pop up when hovering over timeline?

Pic for reference is in the attachments

Thanks
Rich

No setting to remove. That's been a discussion for years and was on many user enhancement requests 10+ years ago but nothing ever done.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24010.page
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/31072.page

Wait about 5 sec it should disappear.

Jeff
Quote I deleted several images, then replaced with a video clip. During playback my video showsin timeline but not in playback. However the deleted images that do NOT show in timeline do show in the playback

What am I missing to fully delete the images and have my video clip playback?

It's been an issue many users have reported with for multiple versions of PD, it never really gets resolved. Nothing you are really missing. If using shadow files, you might try deleting them in pref. You might try shutting down PD and reopening your project and see if that helps.

Jeff
Quote Once a tag has been defined AND at least one file from the “general” media room has been assigned to this tag, new files can directly be added to this tag.

Prior release allowed one to simply drag and drop from windows explorer window directly to tagged media rooms without going through the whole Import Media routine which made things very easy and convenient to populate the tags as desired. Just another missing/overlooked nice feature.

Jeff
Quote Creating the tag, importing to the main media room and then dragging the files over worked! Thank you smile

Or use "Create a Folder" option for isolating files if you like a clean Media Room. Since a tag, deleting from Media Room would remove from tag folder too.

Jeff
Quote I'm having an issue with adding new tags. I like for all of my footage to be separated into different tags. Example would be, Tag 1 would have multiple cameras of XYZ footage. Tag 2 would have multiple cameras of ABC footage. Now, when I'm adding tags and trying to import media, it is saying "You haven't added this tag to any templates." and it is not allowing me to import media into the tags. This never happened in the previous version of the software, I could always add tags and put the footage in the tag that I wanted.

Appears they have made it more inconvenient than prior release. One option, after you create your tag, import your media in the main media room and then select individual or multiple files and right mouse click and "Add to Custom Tag" should do it.

If your files are already saved in isolated folders correctly, maybe import folder might be an option.

Jeff
Quote I have a long continuous video in track 1 and interperse it with some text boxes (no audio) in track 2. I just stumbled on this technique - it's easier than cutting and pasting all in the one track. So when the movie plays the text box just takes over from the main video for the duration I've set, though audio still plays from (separated) audio track 1.
This works fine most of the time, but sometimes the movie stops briefly at the beginning of the text box then jumps ahead. I've tried various fixes - sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
Is this a legitimate way to work, and why am I getting the glitches.
See timeline image below.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ETGqHmik7u4CUjEvTHx45Acc7y7xKUS/view?usp=sharing

Yes, that's what the multiple tracks are for.

That's very common of PD timeline playback, it's not real fluent. It's unclear if you really have PD12 as stated, a 10 year old product, but newer products really not much different concerning fluent timeline playback. There are a few crutches (shadow files, preview quality) to help playback, they typically don't remedy the situation though.

Typically, the "Produced" timeline product will playback smoothly at these interfaces.

Jeff
Quote When i go to the effects tab i cannot find the light leaks that used to be in the previous versions. I had a LOT of light leaks. Are they still there?

Once in the Effect tab, click on "Blending Effect" and then use the search bar and type leak and see if any of the found items are the ones you used. Unfortunately, mine are scattered in the various effect tabs. What an absolute mess, no one could have reviewed this prior to release, such a disappointment.

Jeff
I often need to have a 4up video section with rather high end footage, 4K, 60p, 50Mbps source. This has always had significantly worse encode performance than I thought it should, compared to just a single track performance of the same footage and encode settings. A sample 4up display is shown in the attached pic with sample clips.

PD22 significantly outperforms PD21, a 30% reduction in encode time with NVENC and same settings between PD21 and PD22 with this 4up display configuration while the single track encode performance is nearly identical between PD21 and PD22. It appears PD22 maybe has better file I/O handling for these multiple streams for GPU or CPU encoding. The effect is very noticeable for high end streams, no real benefit for low quality sample clips.

PD22 is a lot slower loading the project to the timeline though, like 3X slower, with lots of “Not Responding” as the project loads and timeline is updated.

Jeff
Quote I believe there are still many improvements in the new version, but few are willing to say it because most of the opinions here are quite on the opposite side.

Sometimes, I don't favor changes, either.

I don't like the opacity keyframe got removed on timeline, and the playhead doesn't automatically react to media I click/add, etc..
The common style options for title and overlay objects need less clicking now because I don't have to click and explore each style tab respectively on the ancient UI to find what I need.

The loading latency and "freezing" when switching between each different tool have decreased significantly, and the new powerdirector acts much smoother on this perspective ever than any old and heavy version of powerdirector I've ever used.
The performance of this version still needs more improvements though.

I think most would identify improvements if noted. I drove around the new GUI for a few hours when released and identified nearly 20 negatives, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/119383.page in that time, I couldn't find a significant positive to post. When I did, it was posted in the same thread.

I'm all for a GUI modernization, this simply totally missed the mark for me. Not knowing CL's motive for the GUI modernization, it's hard to say if it met their requirements. If requirements were to alienate long time users while maybe picking up newbie editors with the modernized GUI, I think judging from the posts, alienation was very successful.

I've reviewed much software through the years, I can't think of another that had such minor structure change but such major implications. So many removed or missed features causes editing and making use of prior pds files very challenging. The new structure really does not appear developed with editing speed and a good platform to grow in mind. It's really more just moved changes. Hard to tell if some missed features are part of the move, or intent.

A case in point, as far as timeline coloring, many, including myself have called it putrid. Had they simply employed a pref for user setting of color content with a default setting to employ past version it would probably have been very well received. I work with lots of varied content from many sources, I'd even like to color say mp4 vs mov files differently at times or even based on properties that give me editing issue, high bitrate, high frame size, so on. A good coloring feature could add significant user benefit depending on the editor. Again, it's really a difference between seasoned editor and a rookie, they have unique needs. This fixed color scheme totally missed the mark in my opinion, unfortunate, as it didn't have to and could have been deployed to add value for all.

Another case, you don't take an Audio mix room and use the same db scale widget that used to control clip volume and change the same vertical slider to control track volume. That's just a very rookie development mistake. Many cases to highlight but really not value added to continue here. Some release managers and developers should be assigned to new tasks after this release.

Jeff
Quote Here for me the update automatically appeared and changed to version v22.0.2118.0 but I didn't see any improvements here sometimes the program crashes. You have to go to settings and see if receiving automatic updates is enabled.

As stated, my question was for the perpetual version, I believe you might be referencing the subscription version which does not apply. There are currently no updates posted for the perpetual version either on the website or enabling automatic updates in the application.

Jeff
Quote Hello,

A hotfix was released via CAM for 365 subscribers to fix crash issues. Please update and check to see if it's resolved.

The perpetual hotfix should be available later today, or tomorrow. You can download it from the CL website when it's available:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?action=download

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

Today, tomorrow for perpetual hotfix, this post was a week ago. Did it not get posted or is it still in the works to properly correct the issue?

Jeff
Quote You have to use the Attachments button below the text box to share files on the forum. It looks like this:

colladom77 obviously knows how to attach a file as it was done in the post prior.

colladom77, I think the request would be to attach the source video clip for other users to see how it functions. My initial guess, highly variable framerate or simply not properly supported footage. Convert your clip with any viable video convert tool to a basic fixed framerate and see if issue is still present.

Jeff
Quote You're free to adjust the height of the video and audio sections for each track, just like in previous versions. Nothing is actually different in PD2024 in this regard other than the use of a brighter color.

Much different, I had mentioned this prior, as OP notes, substantial wasted space with new GUI interface. If one is adjusting audio in the timeline, you have 60% less space to adjust as shown in attached pic, even when max track height is used.

They could have made a very nice step forward even with the reduced vertical size of audio track, they could have implemented instant numerical db setting in the timeline edits vs mouse drag with this limited space.

Jeff
Go to: